The Big Can't Sing List

The unfortunate truth is that 99.99999999999% of all band singers can't sing for their life. It would be much easier to make a short list of the ones that actually can sing.
I don't keep up with the modern scene, man, {:p}, so I couldn't really comment on this nowadays but I'd sure as the sun is hot and blinding argue against this tooth, fang and claw up to the end of the 80s.
Yeah, I know Grim ...... they (try to) call it art. :rolleyes:
Yoko's would be if it had a big F in front of it.

Well....

Bob Dylan (not bad, just overrated)
the entire cast of Glee
I've never been a fan of Johnny Van Zant
Rihanna (everyone just gets her for the accent)
Paris Hilton

finally, I'll end this list with....

LINDSAY LOHAN

:D

How about Sid Viscous!
As a classically trained pianist and someone who did write songs, at least Yoko Ono can be said to have had some musicality, even if it wasn't in the vocal stakes {if you ever get to see her performance in the the Rolling Stones' movie, "Rock'n'roll Circus" in '68 ~where, incidentally Tony Iommi plays guitar for Jethro Tull~ you'll know what I mean !}. But Sid jettisoned whatever musicality may have been there long before he joined the Pistols. He actually was a drummer for a little while ! Perhaps it would be unfair to say he had not one musical bone in his body, but mangled crows on a winter's morning in Scunthorpe sang in tones he couldn't even dream of. When Greg Underscore said in a recent thread something to the effect that the internet has made being shitty OK, I think Sid got there 20 years ahead of the game !
Imagine a Sid and Yoko harmony duo........:eek:

These days it would just be easier to list the people who can sing.

OK lets see there's ...... and ..... don't forget ...... then there's ...... not to mention .......

Damn it back to the can't sing .....How about Tom Petty. Again kinda like Dylan but in a rock format and he makes it work for his songs.

:cool:

Bob Dylan would have to take the Grand Prize, Willie my vote for runner up.

Funny thing is that I find more magic in guys like that than in Michael Bolton "Hey, you've got a great voice!" types.

I've always liked Ringo type voices. Love Neil Young's singing.

Amen! No on Bob, yes on Ringo! I hate Bob Dylan's voice, but at the same time it gives me hope that someone could actually like my crappy voice and mediocre guitar playing. I love Ringo's voice because I can actually sing that range! I can't even attempt a Paul song.
:D

In this thread, most of the responses equate to: can't sing = don't like. In other words, a technical capability (whether a person can sing or not) is being reduced to a personal preference (whether someone likes a singer's voice or not).

This is not surprising, because a performance is more than an demonstration of technical proficiency, and in most cases, it is the performance that resonates with a listener, rather than vocal quality. Two good examples often used are Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. Both have vocal techniques that would be likely to appall a vocal coach, but both have a legion of fans who hang off every drawled, nasally, or croaked word.

Beauty, here, is in the ear of the beholder, and being able to sing or not (in a technical way) is largely irrelevant.

However, if you are embarking on a musical career, it is risky to justify a lack of vocal proficiency on the (spurious) basis that "99.99999%" of singers can't sing (therefore you don't need to be able to either). You may be able to get away with it if you can deliver a convincing performance, but being able to sing in tune and on time is likely to win you more fans earlier.

Last edited:
Ronnie James Dio can't sing any more...

Actually he could sing... he just annoyed the crap out of me, to gecko's point..

You guys' responses are hilarious. Great thread. I thought of another one...
The good ole' family man Ozzy. I think they guy from Our Lady Peace has an amzing voice but I'm never seem them live so I can't comment on their live performance.

Eric Clapton by his own words said he is terrible and never wanted to sing lead. But as one can see (hear) his singing fits his work.

:cool:

Tom Waits > Bob Dylan.

Also as Bruce Springsteen has gottten older It's funny how he starts to look and sound more like Tom Waits.

This is a very tongue in cheek thread, which, I presume, is meant to be lighthearted.
And I've been having Sid and Yoko esoteric harmony nightmares.....
They could not sing !

Geddy Lee .... great bass player but very monotone.

Rush has some talented musicians...but Geddy Lee's voice has always been the #1 reason why Rush was always a total pass for me. I just can't stand the sound of his voice! It has an upper midrange resonance that is very grating. I'll listen to them play, but when he starts singing, that's it...I'm done. :(

I always thought Stevie Nicks was highly overrated as a lead singer (I think Christine McVie has a better voice).
Stevie’s not horrible, but she's not that good either. She sounds very coarse and husky, like a 3-pack a day smoker after a late night out. ;)

That said...I think everyone hears things a little differently. Certain tones-n-timbres appeal to some and not to others.

... I always thought Stevie Nicks was highly overrated as a lead singer (I think Christine McVie has a better voice).
Stevie’s not horrible, but she's not that good either. She sounds very coarse and husky, like a 3-pack a day smoker after a late night out. ;)...

Stevie always had that "vibrato from the first of the note" thing going on that drives me nuts. Dolly Parton has it too. The best would be Ethel Merman.

I always thought that people who use excessive vibrato did so as a sort of cop out. Instead of hitting the pitch dead on they go above and below it so... I guess they hit the pitch because they went through it? It seems non-comittal.

No one could sing like Dinah Washington.

Babaloooooooooooo!

Back