new music

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but I posted some pictures of the bluegrass session I did in the recording techniques forum. I remember you were asking about mic'ing the upright bass....well I posted pictures....
...cool, I'll go have a look! :D

My last three acquisitions:
Modern Lovers Remastered (THE 1st LP)
Modern Lovers Live at Longbarn (?)(before the 1st LP) - the sonic equivalent of The Velvet Under Ground Live 1969 (with Lou Reed) - if you don't know that one - sounds very Lo Fi but BRILLIANT as does the ML Live.
& Farflung's latest - space rock from the U.S. - this last one found via mspace - there's a lot of good psychedelic stuff on there esp yourpsych's free LEGIT downloads.

Legionserial--even though your list is the only one with anything in common with mine (the Dream Theater titles--Systemic Chaos belonged on my list too), the rest of your list frightens me. I think I might need a hug from my mom if I listened to that stuff...

Seriously--legionserial, take something extreme/heavy (if you can find anything among all that easy listening) from your list and recommend it to me so I can broaden my horizons. I'm obviously a guitar freak and I like real vocals (cookie monster does nothing for me). Thanks.

Sorry, not looked at this thread in a while.

Try Opeth if you haven't already. There a bit of Cookie Monster in there, but a lot of singing too. It's very progressive so may suit your Dream Theater-esque tastes a little. There's some very melodic stuff there. Children of Bodom don't really use the Cookie Monster stuff. They're vey melodic thrashy type stuff. They have something slightly 80's about them, and aren't for everyone, but the guitar work is cool.

I see you've already listened to Black Dahlia Murder. They are probably one of my favourite bands, just for the music. I kinda like the cookie monster stuff, but I have developed a knack of completely ignoring vocals, completely shutting them out, because as a guitar nut, I really am only interested in the guitar work at lot of the time.

And Portishead, who I listed too, aren't guitar music at all, rather are roughly classified as trip-hop. The (female) singer has a beautiful voice. It's very chilled. Sort of thing I like to spend a bit of time listening to after work to wind down, or late at night. Worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.

Oh and check out Tool if you haven't already. I'm sure you know them though. Again, quite progressive. No sign of a cookie monster anywhere.

Darkest Hour's "Undoing Ruin" is worth listening to for the guitar work. The vocals aren't quite cookie monster, but they aren't sung either. Probably more tolerable.

And if you like Dream Theater, check out Petrucci, Rudess and Portnoy's other 'side-project', Liquid Tension Experiment.

I take it you've heard Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" and "Countdown to Extinction"?

I might add more as I think of it.

Last edited:
Sorry, not looked at this thread in a while.

Try Opeth if you haven't already. There a bit of Cookie Monster in there, but a lot of singing too. It's very progressive so may suit your Dream Theater-esque tastes a little. There's some very melodic stuff there. Children of Bodom don't really use the Cookie Monster stuff. They're vey melodic thrashy type stuff. They have something slightly 80's about them, and aren't for everyone, but the guitar work is cool.

I see you've already listened to Black Dahlia Murder. They are probably one of my favourite bands, just for the music. I kinda like the cookie monster stuff, but I have developed a knack of completely ignoring vocals, completely shutting them out, because as a guitar nut, I really am only interested in the guitar work at lot of the time.

And Portishead, who I listed too, aren't guitar music at all, rather are roughly classified as trip-hop. The (female) singer has a beautiful voice. It's very chilled. Sort of thing I like to spend a bit of time listening to after work to wind down, or late at night. Worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.

Oh and check out Tool if you haven't already. I'm sure you know them though. Again, quite progressive. No sign of a cookie monster anywhere.

Darkest Hour's "Undoing Ruin" is worth listening to for the guitar work. The vocals aren't quite cookie monster, but they aren't sung either. Probably more tolerable.

And if you like Dream Theater, check out Petrucci, Rudess and Portnoy's other 'side-project', Liquid Tension Experiment.

I take it you've heard Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" and "Countdown to Extinction"?

I might add more as I think of it.

Thanks for the reply! Lot's of good info. I love your detailed descriptions--they're encouraging enough for me to check out Opeth and Children of Bodom (cool names, too, huh?).

I know what you mean about listening for the guitar work--as a guitarist I do that sometimes too, but sometimes I go the other way: because I listen to so much guitar, I like to be wowed by the other members as well.

It's funny you should mention Liquid Tension Experiment! I had both of those releases before I ever owned a Dream Theater CD! I still like them better.

Thanks for the reply! Lot's of good info. I love your detailed descriptions--they're encouraging enough for me to check out Opeth and Children of Bodom (cool names, too, huh?).

As far as Opeth goes, I have only really heard 'Ghost Reveries' and Blackwater Park' in detail. I'd say either of them are a great starting point. I was hooked on them after the first 2 minutes of Ghost Reveries. That record has some hauntingly beautiful sounds, yet they are equally as capable of courting aggression. They seem to have wrapped a myriad of feelings and emotions in to one record really well. If you can get the edition with the bonus DVD, it has a 5.1 mix of the whole album.

Children of Bodom...'Are you Dead Yet?' seems to stand out to me, although some prefer other albums. They have an awesome keyboardist. Some of his solos are insane. Not quite at the level of insanity that Jordan Rudess is capable of, but then that guy is one in a million.

I'm not much of a CoB fan, but I love just watching Alexi Laiho's clips on youtube. He's an amazing guitarist, and personally I agree with him on Petrucci too ;) .

I'm curious about Portishead now. Gonna check them out.

I know what you mean about listening for the guitar work--as a guitarist I do that sometimes too, but sometimes I go the other way: because I listen to so much guitar, I like to be wowed by the other members as well.

It's funny you should mention Liquid Tension Experiment! I had both of those releases before I ever owned a Dream Theater CD! I still like them better.

as far as opeth goes, i'd recommed their newest one ('watershed'), since it gives you a good idea of what they're about, but it's their most mellow one aside from 'damnation' which is all lighter fare--no cookie monster on that one, but not representative of what they do.

'ghost reveries,' 'blackwater park,' and 'still life' i think define the group very well, but you're in for about a 50/50 cookie monster/melodic mix.

i highly recommend them, but then again i like the cookie monster. the only group i hold in higher regard is meshuggah.

Y'know guys, the more we talk about this using the term "cookie monster" the harder it gets to take it seriously as a genre--much less a tough, angry genre.

Attachments

• cookie_monster.jpg
    cookie_monster.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 13
Haha, that's with the music aimed at this type of folks?

emo_kid.jpg

:D

Y'know guys, the more we talk about this using the term "cookie monster" the harder it gets to take it seriously as a genre--much less a tough, angry genre.

well, it wasn't the cookie monsters who started calling themselves that. i use the term because

1) it's definitive to people who don't like the style, and

2) it's fucking hilarious!!!

:D

Hmmm...I say it's time for a new icon for a new generation:

Attachments

• mew_emo.jpg
    mew_emo.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 21
Unless you mean Mastodon State Park (which I'm sure you don't), no I'm not. Should I be?

Worth checking out. Awesome band. Another pretty progressive band in a similar vein to Opeth and Tool but different. Very energetic sound with what seems to me to be some influence from some of the older prog bands out there, but with a heaviness to it. One of their tunes just came on and I was for some reason reminded of this thread.

Worth checking out. Awesome band. Another pretty progressive band in a similar vein to Opeth and Tool but different. Very energetic sound with what seems to me to be some influence from some of the older prog bands out there, but with a heaviness to it. One of their tunes just came on and I was for some reason reminded of this thread.

Very cool--thanks for the heads up. I'll check 'em out.

Very cool--thanks for the heads up. I'll check 'em out.

you'll want to look at "blood mountain" or "leviathan." their first one, "remission" is all cookie monster all the time, but the other two have a mix of cm/singing. i really like the dude's singing voice. it's like a rough-around-the-edges ozzy or something.

but yeah, those guys have some serious chops.

Back