Votes: 343 51.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
A band's manager enquired about my studio and he insisted on recording the band with studios equipped with Macs.

All I had to do was install FlyakiteOSX and I got the job.

Fucking elitists are just a bunch of idiots!

I use both and I've had problems with both. I beg to differ about having viruses on my PC, tho. If you know what you're doing, and especially if you don't connect to any network, you won't have them. The iMacs we use at school have had TONS of problems (the program wouldn't even open on half of them), but my PC only had problems when my hard drives were dying (never buy OEM...). Macs are probably easier to set up because I had some issues installing my hardware on my PC, but the point is they aren't without problems. They use RAM more efficiently, tho, so there might be a slight performance difference even if you have the same specs. Generally the hard drives have faster transfer speeds, too... just some thoughts.

A band's manager enquired about my studio and he insisted on recording the band with studios equipped with Macs.

All I had to do was install FlyakiteOSX and I got the job.

Fucking elitists are just a bunch of idiots!

Was he doing the recording?

If not ask him which scalpel he insists his heart surgeon use, or which brand of sockets he insists his mechanic uses.

Hahaha.

It wasn't just a him. A lot of people were fooled into thinking I had a super-uber-modded Mac just because of the fake Mac GUI I installed on my Windows system.

I've always used PC beacause I like to build my own.

Use what you're trained in or used to though.

If you have no prior experience then I'd go with what your wallet tells you.
The software is much of a muchness across platforms once you get down to it.

I guess i'll add how i feel recording wise.. (even though this thread is ages old)

Honestly mac or pc.. doens't really matter.. AT ALL..

Learn the software.. Learn mic placement.. it really won't make a difference..

If you're only going to get one machine that you'll be using with the internet i'd go mac because of virus issues for sure.. I've had really terrible luck with pc's and very good luck with mac's so mac is my tool of choice... but does using a mac make me a better engineer.. hell no.. once you learn your program it doesn't matter..

I'm actually trying to decide which route to take, myself... My PC is dying and I'm really sick and tired of dealing with the PC way of life... For example, downloading software for every darn thing, like digital cameras, printers and such... I'd rather just plug the devices in and get busy...

I'm thinking mac mini... :D

I'm actually trying to decide which route to take, myself... My PC is dying and I'm really sick and tired of dealing with the PC way of life... For example, downloading software for every darn thing, like digital cameras, printers and such... I'd rather just plug the devices in and get busy...

I'm thinking mac mini... :D

Drivers still exist on Macs. It's not a magical platform, you know.

The more time you spend "deciding" the less you are spending making music. Just pick a damn platform and learn all there is to know about whatever you choose.

Both are capable of being great recording platforms. It really depends on your budget. I'd personally rather get a PC that is capable of recording whatever kind of music you make, and spend the money on more important stuff like instruments, microphones, interfaces, etc. You know, things that will actually make your recordings sound better.

Reality recording

i beg to differ on the outperforming...
the numbers don't line up, ie, 2.0ghz g5 is not equal to a 2.0ghz say pentium IV or whatever.

2.0ghz g5 is more like the equivalent of a 3.0 P4.

cheaper, yes PC is cheaper... but you get what you pay for. i use a PC for this, web browsing, email etc.

no virus/spyware/tojan on a mac. and if you say you dont have anything on your PC, download a free copy of Lavasoft Ad Aware and run it. guarantee you find a ton of spyware (if the computer uses the internet). you'll find atleast 10 files/processes each week, minimum.

build a computer-top notch, P4/amd 64, with a 3.4ghz processor, 250gig HD, optical drives, etc. it will cost ATLEAST $1000, leaning higher to 1500, if you are using good amount of ram.

this computer here- DELL something, pentium4 2.8ghz, 7200rpm drive, 1 gig of ram, is like using my Ibook G4 1.42 ghz. ok so the ibook cost $1300 and this cost maybe $600, but i got a used Imac G5 for $1000 used and it kills this machine and every other i've used, including my boss's 3.2ghz p4 with 2gig ram, 2x160gig 7200 rpm drives that he uses for recording, and that computer cost him $1200, plus monitors ($450). my imac is built into the monitor hehe, and its widescreen!

but i've used PC for simple recording, using a little soundcard and Sonar 2, and that was ok.

PC or Mac- i guess neither is better. Its opinion, and eventually there will be no difference because there will only be one OS- Mac's with Intel CHips, Which i dont think i would buy, can support Windows OS now...

The future is bleak- it's all going to be the same one day. linux is going to take over the world!

Speaking about virus software and performance for music recording, is a non sequitur. They do not belong in the same discussion. I know nothing about MACs, but I'm sure that those operators do the same thing as we on PC's - that is, we turn off every application (including virus software), and maybe even boot up into special environment mode so all services and power are dedicated to the DAW.

Am I correct?

Hey Todd,

Mac user Bob here. Actually I launch my DAW software like any other app--usually with the other apps still running. My machine runs the DAW with multiple VSTs and multiple tracks without setting it aside in its own optimized environment. And I don't turn the virus software off because I don't have any. ;)

In fact last night I was recording, and my son was hitting my Mac across the network to snag some mp3s out of my library.

And no, I didn't get this for $1,000. More like $5,000--just the box, monitors were another purchase. Yep, I paid more and it's worth it--at least for me. With 15 years of Macs and 5 others in the little home network, I'm staying put. But it's the results that matter--no one can tell what kind of box tracked a good home brewed tune. So I tell folks to go with whatever works for you! :D

--Bob

P.S. We should get together soon...

Wanna say again, Bob

how glad I am that you turned me onto Extreme's "Three sides to every story", and "Merry Axemas". True, true gems!

And your guitar playing/writing blows away all the tracks on the compilation CDs I was just listening to on this site and Harmony Centrals, too.

It's half past 2 a.m. I need a donut now.

I think for most recording that people are doing on here... what people are saying is true. Mac=PC. Exactly the same. Just as powerful. Definitely true.

However... If you're serious about really getting into PRO recording. You NEED a mac.

There is a reason that nearly EVERY pro studio in the world is running mac. It is WAY more reliable.

Yes, its true. If you go in and tweak your windows settings and know what hardware to get so that your pc will run as fast as possible, it will be reliable as well. But look at it this way... Knowing enough about PCs to be able to do this is a job in and of itself. A serious engineer is already holding a ton of knowledge in their head about mics, consoles, acoustics, musical styles, outboard gear. They don't need to include "building and maintaining windows pcs" in their skill set on top of everything they're already responsible for.

I made the switch recently, and I finally get what mac users are talking about.

A new Mac G5 cost around $2,500.00 with only 1gb Ram. I think you could have one badass PC for that money. What kind of PC's are you comparing the Mac to? You can't compare a $2,500.00 computer to a $500.00 or even a $1,500.00 computer.

Back