College Advice

not nice:

not nice:

not nice:

not nice:

I respectfully disagree, I thought the comments were appropriate and helpful. "Nice" is an emotion, truth is not. The truth is truth, and that is what these guys speak.

When I read the first post I thought it was an ironic joke at first, then I realized it wasn't. A harsh dose of reality may be hard to take, but it saves a lot of heartache down the road. One thing worse than not going to college would be failing miserably at it, wasting time and money to go another route in life.

Hopefully, Ammarq will recognize the irony in his post and think about it for a bit before proceeding. There is nothing wrong with slang and shorthand on an internet site, but it rightfully raises a red flag with all of us who have been to college and taken freshman classes. You couldn't get away with that kind of language in a Chinese or Russian language class.:D

Perhaps Ammarq will re-phrase his original questions given the irony of the subject matter.;) He will get a lot more serious responses.:cool:

Where the Hell did this argument come from, and why is it in this random thread??

Apparently something was said and then removed, because Im thrown for a loop here.

You got it ;). Apparently mx isn't happy with Dragon and gave a mouthful of unnecessary abuse.

:cool:

I think I counted about 5 douche bags in this thread.
icon13.gif

I think I counted about 5 douche bags in this thread.
And I feel, as a person that gave relevant advice, as if I had been trolled. That and $10 gets me a six of cold Becks at the package store across the street.

I mean I spent 4 years at one of the institutions mentioned in the original post. Who has more relevant information?

Lord and Lady Douchebag!

Anyone remember that one? I about had a heart attack the first time I saw it.

Ahhhhh. Good times.

Wow. This is a milestone. I don't think anyone on here has ever called me that before. Cool.

And to think I posed for a picture next to the rocket at your welcome center. Hmmph! Next time I'll make sure I gas up in Birmingham.

I'm one of the few who doesn't seem to actively cultivate pissing people off here, so I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes, but c'mon, man.

Seriously. Reread that OP.

If we're being trolled, then I guess I'm the sucker. Wouldn't be the first time. I guess being a midwestern bumpkin, I'm too quick to take people at their word. My bad.

And I feel, as a person that gave relevant advice, as if I had been trolled. That and $10 gets me a six of cold Becks at the package store across the street.

I mean I spent 4 years at one of the institutions mentioned in the original post. Who has more relevant information?

I don't think you're a douchebag.

First off i would like to thank those that helped, all you other fools that just wanted to make a witty comment do it elsewhere, anyways, im looking at the army as an option now, although I dont believe in anything thats going on now, but im not gonna have the money to pay for college, be it suny or community college, parents already said they won't pay for shit, ive already been accepted to stony brook, so to the moran who told me to go to barber college: your gonna be wiping my salty sweat off my balls after im making real money and not shaving people's pubes like you are. although i see the irony in it, but i have accute dislexia so sometimes when im typing quickly i mess up, but i dunno if my dislexia is the cause of this, i really dont think so.

The "moran" ? :D:D

"Accute dislexia"? Like from being stoned? :D That's a good one - I'll have to add it to my differential diagnoses. :)

I'm sure you can write fairly grammatical English. If not, you should be asking for advice about middle schools.

If your parents are making 90k/year chances are you won't get shit for grants. BUT, before you consider even which college you would go to visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and fill out the financial aid forms so that it is on record. I believe federally, once you turn 21 you can be considered as an independent student which will dramatically increase your Pell grant from the feds assuming you don't make much money. The school then will also calculate your financial need and assign you state grant money as well (this is sooo state by state, I have no clue what programs NY has in place) Definitely attend in the state that you have residence as it will cost about half as much as going out of state. Also, depending on your financial need you can get Federal Stafford and Perkins loans (up to $7500/year for independent students). These are calculated automatically when you complete your financial aid forms. You have to pay these back but it's at a set LOW interest rate and it's deferred until you're done with school assuming you stay full time (12 credits or more per semester).

You can get scholarships, though they are not very easy to come by. If you're involved in any community organizations or church chances are they have some scholarships available. These are usually $500 or $1000 one time deals, but you can find ones that are much more. Join some school or community organizations immediately!!! If you want scholarships I can't stress that enough, almost every scholarship looks at community or school involvement. Go teach retarded kids how to count, cart around old people, something! Once you've been in school for a few semesters and are doing well then a whole world of oppurtunity opens up for scholarships and grants. Just gotta keep your eye out on the school's financial aid bulletin board to see what's available. It's really an incentive to do well in school. The better you do and the more involved you are, the more the university and other folks want to give you money to continue on. I just received a $3000 grant for a research project to do in the course of eight weeks during the summer. This means I don't have to have a shitty summer job and it's huge resume booster. I got it by; 1. being aware that undergrad grants are available, 2. getting to know my professors one on one and doing well in classes so that I can approach faculty about mentoring it and 3. Doing some good bull shitting on a grant application.

College is definitely a good move if you can hack it. You have to commit to 4+ years of being poor and working hard. If you go in just to get a C average, don't even bother, you're wasting your money. Go in to OWN information, to make connections, to open up possibilities.

Btw, I'm a non-traditional student mentor at my college. This is my daily conversation with many folks. If you want anymore advice, hit me up.

Last edited:
Oh, and one other thing... KEEP THE PARTYING TO ONE NIGHT A WEEK!! Seriously. You'll save money, get better grades, and the hottest girls dig the dudes that don't make an ass of themselves night after night. If you smoke dope, DON'T do it in the dorms. You will get caught and most campuses will surely kick you out of the dorms, and many will expel you from school. I've seen this happen to a handful of friends and it sucks!

Military college? The academic requirements for Duntroon (the defence force university downunder) are rather high & the retention rate after the 1st period of service isn't very good. The degrees are highly prized though.
Joining the military and having an opinion about their current operations is fraught with danger as you'll not be trained to have much of an opinion. Discipline, some problem solving & survival skills ae most required by the organisation and the individual.
To be blunt though, you opening salvo really didn't suggest academic potential. If you were dumbing down for a laugh fair enough but, in the absence of a face to face &/or aural relationship, you are what we read.
then again you could type txt style & leave me, at least, totally in the dark.

First off i would like to thank those that helped, all you other fools that just wanted to make a witty comment do it elsewhere, anyways, im looking at the army as an option now, although I dont believe in anything thats going on now, but im not gonna have the money to pay for college, be it suny or community college, parents already said they won't pay for shit, ive already been accepted to stony brook, so to the moran who told me to go to barber college: your gonna be wiping my salty sweat off my balls after im making real money and not shaving people's pubes like you are. although i see the irony in it, but i have accute dislexia so sometimes when im typing quickly i mess up, but i dunno if my dislexia is the cause of this, i really dont think so.
Lol @ "moran".

Back