right? Maybe those guys have forgotten what it's actually like to have a

dream. Perhaps you'll need some help ( career counselor etc. ) along the

way to find your niche, but you'll get there. Joining the service does not

have to be your only option! Find out where your strenghts and weaknesses

lie ( we all have them ) and move forward from there. And yeah your

dyslexia may be an obstacle to some degree, but many really gifted people

who struggle with similar issues have found ways around it. Maybe your just

more likely to excel with mechanical or creative type projects. Just keep

believing it's possible beacause the alternative is no way to live. Good luck!!!

Ps- There are many different types of intelligences that aren't necessarily

measured by obvious ( spelling etc. ) standards. Look up Gardner's Theory of

Multiple Intelligences. I'm sure you'll see that you possess quite a few.

If your parents are making 90k/year chances are you won't get shit for grants. BUT, before you consider even which college you would go to visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and fill out the financial aid forms so that it is on record. I believe federally, once you turn 21 you can be considered as an independent student which will dramatically increase your Pell grant from the feds assuming you don't make much money. The school then will also calculate your financial need and assign you state grant money as well (this is sooo state by state, I have no clue what programs NY has in place) Definitely attend in the state that you have residence as it will cost about half as much as going out of state. Also, depending on your financial need you can get Federal Stafford and Perkins loans (up to $7500/year for independent students). These are calculated automatically when you complete your financial aid forms. You have to pay these back but it's at a set LOW interest rate and it's deferred until you're done with school assuming you stay full time (12 credits or more per semester).

You can get scholarships, though they are not very easy to come by. If you're involved in any community organizations or church chances are they have some scholarships available. These are usually $500 or $1000 one time deals, but you can find ones that are much more. Join some school or community organizations immediately!!! If you want scholarships I can't stress that enough, almost every scholarship looks at community or school involvement. Go teach retarded kids how to count, cart around old people, something! Once you've been in school for a few semesters and are doing well then a whole world of oppurtunity opens up for scholarships and grants. Just gotta keep your eye out on the school's financial aid bulletin board to see what's available. It's really an incentive to do well in school. The better you do and the more involved you are, the more the university and other folks want to give you money to continue on. I just received a $3000 grant for a research project to do in the course of eight weeks during the summer. This means I don't have to have a shitty summer job and it's huge resume booster. I got it by; 1. being aware that undergrad grants are available, 2. getting to know my professors one on one and doing well in classes so that I can approach faculty about mentoring it and 3. Doing some good bull shitting on a grant application.

College is definitely a good move if you can hack it. You have to commit to 4+ years of being poor and working hard. If you go in just to get a C average, don't even bother, you're wasting your money. Go in to OWN information, to make connections, to open up possibilities.

Btw, I'm a non-traditional student mentor at my college. This is my daily conversation with many folks. If you want anymore advice, hit me up.

WOW man really thanx for the advice, very helpful, for real i was planning on burning it down hard body in the dorms and now im prolly not going 2, yeah when i go im gonna work my nuts off, i already know thats how you make gwap! Ima def check out those scholarship opportunities and stuff.

Thanx for your inspiring words queen. appreciate it

I was being ironic with moran :) I swear it :D

You're a sack of baboon smegma. I have good news~

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico! You can save 15% or more by switching to Geico.

If you do go to college you might want to learn the difference between "your" and "you're."

Back