Cubase LE tutorial

true, in cubase, go to devices > device setup > vst multitrack > setup tab > check direct monitoring. you will likely have to change some setting(s) in your interfaces control application too. for example, in the delta panel for my 1010lt, i have to turn on the monitor mixer and adjust monitoring levels to my liking.

TravisinFlorida said:
true, in cubase, go to devices > device setup > vst multitrack > setup tab > check direct monitoring. you will likely have to change some setting(s) in your interfaces control application too. for example, in the delta panel for my 1010lt, i have to turn on the monitor mixer and adjust monitoring levels to my liking.
Hey Travis. I did that but in device setup it doesn't highlight that option. I talked to Choctaw and here is what you have to do.

File>Preference>VST>Audio Monitoring drag down list>Tape method....it works !!! :D

Hat almost had it right...except for the setting it on manual. It was already set on that. When I set it on tape, it took the latency way down to a normal sound. Thank you Travis and Hat both for your help !!!

Originally Posted by myhatbroke
lol you're funny. Latency is lag you have from the pc to your inteface. You can't just get rid of it. Just go to file>preferences> VST and on the drag down list put it on manual so you won't monitor anymore.

true-eurt said:
Hey Travis. I did that but in device setup it doesn't highlight that option. I talked to Choctaw and here is what you have to do.

File>Preference>VST>Audio Monitoring drag down list>Tape method....it works !!! :D

Hat almost had it right...except for the setting it on manual. It was already set on that. When I set it on tape, it took the latency way down to a normal sound. Thank you Travis and Hat both for your help !!!

Originally Posted by myhatbroke
lol you're funny. Latency is lag you have from the pc to your inteface. You can't just get rid of it. Just go to file>preferences> VST and on the drag down list put it on manual so you won't monitor anymore.
That's strange because Tape Machine should make it lag more since its monitoring through the pc. But glad it worked True! ;) :D

true-eurt said:

The Auto Monitoring box gives you options for automatic track monitoring:

Manaul = you have to engage the monitor button when you want to monitor a track

While Record Enabled = monitor button is automatically engaged when the track recording button is engaged

While Record Running = monitor button is automatically engaged when the track recording button is engaged and the transport recording button is engaged

Tapemachine Style = same as Record Enabled except the track monitor buttons are disengaged during playback.

None of this has anything to do with monitoring a live input vs. monitoring a processed input, which is changed by using the Direct Monitoring option and making any necessary changes in your interfaces application (which is what I thought we were talking about).

true-eurt said:
when I monitor while recording, there is delay I don't want there. I am getting double beats on my click, and when I play back after recording and monitor...the delay isn't there and the guitar is off timing because I am playing to a delayed beat. I don't want the delayeffect on it while I monitor during recording, but I don't know how to get it off.

When monitoring an input directly, your interface inputs are routed to it's outputs before going thru the recording software. Otherwise, you will be monitoring the recording software's outputs with effects, latency, and all that jazz, which will cause a noticeable delay in the signal path.

TravisinFlorida said:
The Auto Monitoring box gives you options for automatic track monitoring:

Manaul = you have to engage the monitor button when you want to monitor a track

While Record Enabled = monitor button is automatically engaged when the track recording button is engaged

While Record Running = monitor button is automatically engaged when the track recording button is engaged and the transport recording button is engaged

Tapemachine Style = same as Record Enabled except the track monitor buttons are disengaged during playback.

None of this has anything to do with monitoring a live input vs. monitoring a processed input, which is changed by using the Direct Monitoring option and making any necessary changes in your interfaces application (which is what I thought we were talking about).

When monitoring an input directly, your interface inputs are routed to it's outputs before going thru the recording software. Otherwise, you will be monitoring the recording software's outputs with effects, latency, and all that jazz, which will cause a noticeable delay in the signal path.
Huuuh....? :D I will have to let this all sink in a bit first...

true-eurt said:
Huuuh....? :D I will have to let this all sink in a bit first...

Ok, let me try to reword some of that. :D

The monitor button is simply a toggle switch. When the monitor button is orange, you can hear the track input (your mic, guitar, etc.). When the monitor button is grey, you can hear the sound file in the track.

The direct monitoring option is a toggle switch too. Let's say you have a guitar connected to one of your interface inputs. With direct monitoring off, your guitar signal goes thru Cubase and any plugins on the track. If you have a distortion plugin on the guitar track, you hear the distorted guitar. It takes time for your computer to process the guitar signal thru the software and plugins. That's where latency comes from. If you turn direct monitoring on, you only hear what's connected to your interface's input. The guitar signal doesn't make the long trip thru Cubase and plugins before arriving to your speakers (no latency).

So basically we have two toggle switches for monitoring in Cubase:

Monitor button = listen to track input / listen to sound file in the track

Direct monitoring option = listen to interface input / listen to software output

Your right TravisinFlorida

Choctaw writes..........TravisinFlorida I am in agreement with you that the tape choice has noting to do with latency.........True has been able to record before and it did OK. But now I think she is adding effects or something, maybe buffer setting have changed. I just run things thru a mixer 1st and listen with phones. I think her computer being connected to the net, anti virus running, no separate HD for audio recording, and low end system all this comes into play. But True is fighting the learning curve and getting better. Keep it up girl. It is difficult staring out on a new field.

Last edited:
what do i have to do to convert you all to reaper? buy you a license? here's the funny thing about it. reaper pretty much allowed me to do everything i could think of but couldn't do in other software for some reason or another. after having all the options at my disposal, i figured out that i don't need all the options. i finally quit worrying about all the crap that i couldn't do. last time i'll mention reaper in the cubase forum but i just have to say this: cubase is the hard way. when my cubase disc gets mailed to me i can continue on with this but i'd rather all you guys switch to reaper and make it easy on me. :D

Back