Cubase LE tutorial

myhatbroke said:
yea defininately explain the vst effects BS. I dont understand what VST inputs and outputs are. And how can you mix and monitor "live" in Cubase from the input signal from the interface . <<<<Did that make sense?

And whats the difference between the send effects and insert effects? And once again is there a way to hear the input signal processed "live".

THose are my biggest questions.

Well, I'm pretty much a newb myself, hopefully the blanks I leave will be filled in, but here goes nothing... :o

The VST input output thing I'm not going to touch 'cause I don't know the proper way to explain and would most likely make an ass out of myself and confuse everyone else. :D

The send effects are generally reverb and delay, especially reverb since it is not very CPU friendly. Reverbs tend to use up a lot of processing power so it makes more sense to set up an FX track or two for reverb and send the tracks you want to them. It also makes it a bit easier to set the ratio of wet and dry signals. It's basically the same principle for delays. The insert effects would be compression, eq, modulations, etc. where they are unique for each individual track.

Well, it's vague I know... Hope it helps a little though. :o

pikingrin said:
Well, I'm pretty much a newb myself, hopefully the blanks I leave will be filled in, but here goes nothing... :o

The VST input output thing I'm not going to touch 'cause I don't know the proper way to explain and would most likely make an ass out of myself and confuse everyone else. :D

The send effects are generally reverb and delay, especially reverb since it is not very CPU friendly. Reverbs tend to use up a lot of processing power so it makes more sense to set up an FX track or two for reverb and send the tracks you want to them. It also makes it a bit easier to set the ratio of wet and dry signals. It's basically the same principle for delays. The insert effects would be compression, eq, modulations, etc. where they are unique for each individual track.

Well, it's vague I know... Hope it helps a little though. :o
So in other words send effects are so various tracks can use the same effect for cpu efficiency. ANd inserts are specifically just for a track. I KNEW THAT! (slap on forehead). I mean it i didn't know know but that's how i was using them.

But the VST input output thing is still a big Q for me. I read the manual but its too vauge.

Hat are you trying to monitor through Cubase?? I'm really looking forward to this tutorial..even if I have SE3.

TelePaul said:
Hat are you trying to monitor through Cubase?? I'm really looking forward to this tutorial..even if I have SE3.
yea i am, well atleast i want to know how. And now I also want to know if there is a meter that shows every Freq. for each track during playback.

myhatbroke said:
yea i am, well atleast i want to know how. And now I also want to know if there is a meter that shows every Freq. for each track during playback.
Whats your sound card?? Are you direct monitoring??

TelePaul said:
Not surprisingly, you didn't answer my question. Are you direct monitoring?

Whats your sound card?
I don't use the soundcard. THe output from the interface goes straight to the monitors

myhatbroke said:
I don't use the soundcard. THe output from the interface goes straight to the monitors

*Sigh* Soundcard and Interface are generic terms for the same thing. What interface are you using??

wweee! I finally read a post and though to myself" Hey, I know something he doesn't."

I'm sure it'll be the only time I ever feel like that on this board, so i better savor it.

myhatbroke said:
Damn Irish bastards. I thought you ment my pc sound card. I'm using a Lexicon Lambda.

Oh and Newbie Dude....kiss my ass :D

And are you trying to hear the effects applied to track as you record?

myhatbroke said:
Yea that's one of my questions. Do you think they'll be latency issues?

Cant you go ahead and try? There'll probably be some latency. It'll probably still be workable. How much latency do you have with the 24 bit asio driver??

TelePaul said:
Cant you go ahead and try? There'll probably be some latency. It'll probably still be workable. How much latency do you have with the 24 bit asio driver??
I don't know how to do that

myhatbroke said:
No I don't know how to monitor the input signal in cubase. Like listen to it with effects and mix it "live"

Turn on 'Tape Machine Style monitoring' in the preferences window.

Back