Cakewalk Pro Audio 9/Windows XP

mikewahlquist

Anybody know if pro audio 9.0 works with XP. My old cakewalk 5 worked fine with windows ME but locked up tight when I switched it to a faster machine with XP . I'm looking for and inexpensive way to use cakewalk (I love it) on XP. Thank you. :) :p :D :o

Yes. But Sonar / Homestudio will run better! Come ooonn... it's not that expensive anymore! (Unless you buy Sonar 4) :)

;)
Jaymz

I'd like to hear some good arguments for upgrading to XP vs. sticking with ME. I use ME and it works just fine. Plus, all the hacker scum likes to program for 2000 and XP.

System stability has alot to do with quality of hardware. Xp on a system that was unstable with any other 98, 95, ME, etc would be as unstable, if everything else stays the same.

ME was a nightmare with DirectX drivers ( coincided with a new release of DirectX drivers that was bad for everyone on any system at the time)

If you upgraded to the DirectX 8.0 you trashed your system. A new set of drivers came out a couple months later that fixed alot 8.0 or 8.0a bad, 8.0b good,. Win ME was released with the 8.0 drivers, many issues.

XP is too new for me, I do not have any of my music recording software on any XP machine. However, I use several XP machines for other purposes and have no issues with it. In general, XP is no different than 98 as far as operability. NTFS vs Fat32 most people couldnt see or feel the difference nor need the difference, sizes of HDD is ridiculous large and cheap to need a few more bytes per allocation. Once you realize this you realize you spent more money on Microsoft for no reason.

Advice: whatever machine you have keep the DirectX drivers updated to the latest if you get the latest music software. Currently DirectX 9.0c which runs on my 98 machine just fine.

AMD Thunderbird 1.4 GHz
256 Mg RAM PC133 memory on a 100Hz FSB
IEEE 1394 firewire
Audigy

I run Reason 2.5 and Pro Audio 9 without any hangs or latency issues, In fact I barely use 4 to 7% of the processing power during recording multitracks.

Hang the Hackers

Newbie-Doo said:
I'd like to hear some good arguments for upgrading to XP vs. sticking with ME. I use ME and it works just fine. Plus, all the hacker scum likes to program for 2000 and XP.

Personally, I can't give you a reason to upgrade. I have 98SE....which is fine with me.

I have not taken the one Important step toward circumventing the scumbag hackers and virus architects of the world. That being, remove my modem and donate it to Good Will, or salvation Army.

Realistically, I need a new PC. a dedicated PC without internet capability.

I have a question for you, being a cakewalk user and all. If you had to choose between what you have now, and a Tascam 2488 stand alone HD recorder? what would you choose?

Thanks for any feedback on that!

Bill

hi bill

billy3000 said:
Personally, I can't give you a reason to upgrade. I have 98SE....which is fine with me.

I have not taken the one Important step toward circumventing the scumbag hackers and virus architects of the world. That being, remove my modem and donate it to Good Will, or salvation Army.

Realistically, I need a new PC. a dedicated PC without internet capability.

I have a question for you, being a cakewalk user and all. If you had to choose between what you have now, and a Tascam 2488 stand alone HD recorder? what would you choose?

Thanks for any feedback on that!

Bill

the Tascam 2488 looks like a cool machine without the hassles of a pc. however, i do like the ability to put the waveforms from a recording up on the screen and cut pieces out, etc. i don't know if you can do that with the tascam. i do have the very first tascam 4 track cassette recorder from over 20 years ago that i still use for getting ideas down fast. i still use and love it.
i also like to use the notation staff view to enter/edit midi notes with the mouse. i am guilty of letting the technology overshadow the music sometimes so the 2488 probably lets you concentrate more on the music.

XP and Cakewalk 9

We are running two layla 20s in a dual pentium III 800 with 300+ ram. The OS is NT. We switched to XP and it seemed to be fine. Sound seemed ratty though. I found out later that the file depth had changed to 16 as well and the sample size. The Sample rate had changed to 44.1k also. When we would try to change the settings back to match the capabilities of the sound cards, cakewalk would not recognize them anymore (See the waves with a yellow background).

We had hoped to the XP change would take so we could add USB stuff and use a DVD burner as well as edit some video. The headaches are just not worth it...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

RbM

Newbie-Doo said:

You're kidding me, right? It is pretty much a fact that ME is the worst OS Microsoft has ever put out.

Lets see...Its still based off of 95/98 code which means it cannot make efficient use of memory above 512Mb, it uses FAT32 rather than NTFS, it does not fully imprement the WDM driver spec, no Firewire or USB 2.0 support...

The list goes on...

Oh and BTW, all the "hacker scum" actually attack IE and Outlook vunerabilities for the most part which means ME isn't immune either.

NTFS vs Fat32 most people couldnt see or feel the difference nor need the difference

Do any form of video editing and you'll quickly realise that being able to have filesizes bigger than 3gb or so is an amazing plus. Also ever noticed that Windoze doesn't have to spend 10 minutes with scandisk each time it doesn't shutdown properly... NTFS is journalised, unlike fat32 so **technically** it is less likely to become corrupt.

NTFS vs Fat32 most people couldnt see or feel the difference nor need the difference

Do any form of video editing and you'll quickly realise that being able to have filesizes bigger than 3gb or so is an amazing plus. Also ever noticed that Windoze doesn't have to spend 10 minutes with scandisk each time it doesn't shutdown properly... NTFS is journalised, unlike fat32 so **technically** it is less likely to become corrupt.

MichaelM said:
NTFS is journalised, unlike fat32 so **technically** it is less likely to become corrupt.
Maybe so, but I've seen more NTFS-disks going up in smoke than FAT32-disks. Don't ask me why... :confused:

moskus said:
Maybe so, but I've seen more NTFS-disks going up in smoke than FAT32-disks. Don't ask me why... :confused:

Been using NTFS for about 5 years now personally and did alot of systems integration work a while back. Never saw any issues like that.

I'd attribute it to poor QC on the part of the manufacturer if drives fail.

I've found no problems with XP Pro and CWPA9. The only trouble that I've personally had was that the SB Live! Value was not seen though installed with the correct drivers. Also, this happens with the SB Audigy 2. Soundfonts are non-active on either machine. /boggle

Anywho, Windows ME (as said earlier) is garbage and the worst OS that MS ever put out. However, I've used 2k and XP and between the two, had fewer problems with 2k. *shrug* Just something to chew on.

Nice seeing everyone again and ttyl.

--FBK

AGCurry said:
Yes, I use Pro Audio 9.03 on XP. Very solid - much more solid than it was on Win 98.

What interface are you using? I'm thinking of getting the Delta 66 or 1010LT to use with this combo.

brzilian said:
What a waste...

And why is that? Any others share this opinion? Though I am really interested in why you think this is a waste, and what you would consider as an alternative to the 1010LT.

Last edited:
amonte said:
And why is that? Any others share this opinion? Though I am really interested in why you think this is a waste, and what you would consider as an alternative to the 1010LT.

Lets see...

For starters PA 9.x doesn't support low latency WDM or ASIO drivers. The Delta cards are awesome cards, but go to waste with your choice in software.

Why spend a few hundred bucks on really nice hardware when you will use it with an obsolete and discontinued piece of software that doesn't even hold a light to Cakewalk's current entry level offerings (Home Studio 2)?

I'm a CW9 user, with WinXP on a Celeron PC, Aark24 soundcard. If I reboot before starting serious work and talk real nice to it, I can do 8 tracks at a time with no problems.

I'm trying to save enough money for SONAR but it seems like every time I stash a few $20's away they have a meeting and demand to be spent on something I didn't know I couldn't live without.

brzilian said:
Lets see...

For starters PA 9.x doesn't support low latency WDM or ASIO drivers. The Delta cards are awesome cards, but go to waste with your choice in software.

Why spend a few hundred bucks on really nice hardware when you will use it with an obsolete and discontinued piece of software that doesn't even hold a light to Cakewalk's current entry level offerings (Home Studio 2)?

My choice in software is what is available to me at this time - it's what I've got right now. I don't intend to use it on a permanent or even semi-permanent basis. I read some of your previous posts about HS2 - I think you mentioned that it's similar to Sonar 2.2. Is there a track limitation in Home Studio?

Back