I can't get to sound like myself - people think Im impersonating Eminem...

kratos

Ive been rapping for about 2 years now and people keep saying/ thinking Im trying to impersonate or copy Eminem. I just don't know why but I can't get to sound like myself. Im more of a high pitched rapper as I can't really bass it...If I do bass it then I feel the lyrics to the song have lesser effect. I mean 2pac had a bassish voice and could have a lot of effect in his songs but me? I suck bassing it.
I dont want to be seen as trying to copy or be eminem but my fucking voice is just like that hence people think Imma bad impersonator!:mad:

Worse thing is ive writen songs which are a bit eminemish too but I cant help the fact that I too was beaten/bullied bad as a child and not talk about it in my songs?!

What should I do? How can I change myself? Do I even want to change myself?
I really dont know what to do because Im stumped.

I really dont have any help except on these forums ....

Yo man if that's your style then that's cool. There's tons of artists that sound like each other in every genre. As you continue making music you will develop your sound more and find out what you're good at and what you really sound like. In the meantime, why not make a song about not wanting to unintentially sound like other rappers? :D

Yo man if that's your style then that's cool. There's tons of artists that sound like each other in every genre. As you continue making music you will develop your sound more and find out what you're good at and what you really sound like. In the meantime, why not make a song about not wanting to intentionally sound like other rappers? :D
That last bit is a great idea ! And you could vent all your anger, resentment, bitterness and rage, but dress it up as humour to make something memorable.
Guitarplayer is also bang on the money when stating that in every genre, you'll find people that sound like others, even when they haven't been aware of the person they sound like. Whenever I play Kansas, my son asks "is that Salem Hill ?", even though Kansas pre~existed Salem Hill by 20 years and actually influenced them !
You're young. Your own style will develop as you become more experienced and life's experiences smack you about more and bring you joy and whatever else life will bring and you deepen musically and subtly slip into expressing yourself more and more your own way.

That last bit is a great idea ! And you could vent all your anger, resentment, bitterness and rage, but dress it up as humour to make something memorable.
Guitarplayer is also bang on the money when stating that in every genre, you'll find people that sound like others, even when they haven't been aware of the person they sound like. Whenever I play Kansas, my son asks "is that Salem Hill ?", even though Kansas pre~existed Salem Hill by 20 years and actually influenced them !
You're young. Your own style will develop as you become more experienced and life's experiences smack you about more and bring you joy and whatever else life will bring and you deepen musically and subtly slip into expressing yourself more and more your own way.

I'll try. thanks man

you shouldn't give a damn 'bout what others think of you. Do YOU like the way you rap? If yes just keep doing what you're doing and in time you'll develop your own style.

Who gives a shit? Rap isn't exactly a beacon of originality to begin with. 99% of the rappers in each rap sub-genre sound exactly the same.

Do you... as the new urban catchphrase says.

I think you'll develop as you go on, in truth rap gets a hard time because folks rightfully thinks it all sounds the same, but in truth so do their genres to the casual listener...same with my stuff same with anyones...

go in the clinic and you'll see a slew of critiques that start "this sounds like..." or "your voice is just like..."

If i were you id spend more time perfecting my technique than worrying about who I sound like....you could always have a good look at what tracks you are using to back you..try to be more creative in that regards, make sure that sounds further of from those that you sound like...maybe try to mesh some styles to get some originality or your own sound

I dont listen to rap much now but when I did the backing was as important as the rapper...seems all to many amateurs forget that nowadays and think that beats from a box are all you need..cut up some early kraftwerk stuff and rap over that...it would make me listen anyway :D

Who gives a shit? Rap isn't exactly a beacon of originality to begin with. 99% of the rappers in each rap sub-genre sound exactly the same.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

It's funny cuz it's true. There are only so many ways you can say "bitch" or "motherfucker".

Wow... I stumbled across this post after finding the website looking for some tips on selecting the right condensers and VST's for vocal effects, and came upon some real ignorance. Now, don't get me wrong I make hip-hop and I DESPISE commerical rap. But...Hip-hop is about much more than money guns and big asses. That's just the popculture bullshit they spew out of the big stations and labels.

Now, not to say you still won't like it...if you don't that's perfectly fine. I mean....If we all liked the same shit music would suck. But, All I ask is that you take a look at INDIE hip-hop before you judge hip-hop...The commerical stuff is more pop than hip-hop anyway.

This is my own stuff:
http://poinnovate.bandcamp.com/album/grasp-the-concept

but, I'd like you to look at some people like...

Atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMSmLW82hk

Eligh (Featuring Eligh's Mom)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8xtJTmwVpc&feature=related

Sage Francis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFGI6ZkFDk

Magnetic North
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHa_iLo03_0

and...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmy212DyWs
too many brilliant MC's on that one to name.

You may not like these people but, at the very least it will certianly change your opinion on rap/hip-hop.

Anyway, back to the question of the original poster... Just work on finding a formula that's your own. Busdriver and Tech N9ne sound almost the same yet you can't compare either to eachother. Play with effects to give your voice the sound you're looking for. Perhaps a reverb life effect? IMO, beat choice is critical to the mood of the song as well...Although you CAN alter that mood with the right story.

Let me hear some of your stuff (poinnovate@gmail.com i just signed up here to post this lol) and i'll give some feedback.

Back