Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!

Votes: 95 12.4%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

Votes: 186 24.2%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

Votes: 214 27.9%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

Votes: 103 13.4%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

Votes: 170 22.1%

• Total voters
I would say that a mostly hate my voice. I think i have an alrite voice. . . untill I record it, then I seem to go out of tune and my voice is just crap. Ive been told my range is good and im pitch accurate. but i just cant seem to apply it infront of a mic. it gets to a point where I just feel so hopless :(

Wow, this thread has been going for a long time! It's a good one, so I'll chime in.

I love the timbre of my voice. My biggest struggle is forgetting that people are listening or a mic is recording and just DOING it. In the past, I've striven to MAKE my voice sound a certain way. Now I know I sound best when I don't think, get completely into the moment, and just SING. This greatly improves my intonation and phrasing.

Above all, I just need to practice more.

I apologize for all the obnoxious capitalized words. I needed to add some key emphasis.

Wow, this thread has been going for a long time! It's a good one, so I'll chime in.

I love the timbre of my voice. My biggest struggle is forgetting that people are listening or a mic is recording and just DOING it. In the past, I've striven to MAKE my voice sound a certain way. Now I know I sound best when I don't think, get completely into the moment, and just SING. This greatly improves my intonation and phrasing.

Above all, I just need to practice more.

I apologize for all the obnoxious capitalized words. I needed to add some key emphasis.

Haha, you type the way William Shatner speaks! EMPHASIS on certain WORDS helps GET the POINT ACROSS. Anyway, I recorded some vocals yesterday, and most of the tracks were deleted soon after. I suck.

Lots of honesty here LOL. I'm definately insecure about singing but I do it, just jamming gets boring real quick.

I love the fact that I have my voice. I had surgery on my neck a few years ago and could barely talk for a few months, couldn't raise my voice for a few months, and couldn't sing well for about a year. It was an interesting time! I slowely got my singing voice back starting with a very low range. I actually learned a lot about singing during that time. :)

I like it, it definitely has a rich tonal quality. However whenever I hear myself I always think slightly WTF, it doesn't really sound like any other singer I've ever heard. Sometimes I have a slight David Bowie thing going on, but I'm not sure anyone would see that.
My voice sounds almost nothing like my favorite singers.

As many above I have mixed feelings about my voice.

It really depends on the day. Sometimes I sing in tune effortlessly and sometimes no matter what I do I go sharp on every single note. It's annoying.

I can't decide whether I should sing at the speech level or should I push my voice toward breathiness and stuff.

I do covers of e.g. anthony kiedis well with my natural voice but I don't like my original songs sung this way so I push it.

Sometimes when I create some music and sing to it, it sounds good, my voice suits the music and I know this is the way to sing this piece. But I don't like it still. For example, it turns out that my vocal sounds like country music when I'd like the song to be a rock ballad (it's also the matter of forcing myself to create another melody however).

And sometimes when I really want to get the song finally done but don't have time or I'm tired and resigned after many attempts, I resort to the following procedure:

a little bit of melodyne + reverb + plugins (compressors, limiters etc.) + doing 587 takes and keeping them all + compiling the final version from these takes

The pros won't fall for that I guess but my friends/family/people who don't care will.;)

I like my voice somewhat, but I can't sing, just can't hold a tune. That's why I get other people to sing for me. I can hear things that are out of tune or in tune, but I can't produce those sounds with my own voice.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems like the best forum.

I have written lots of tunes, but I'm not a strong vocalist. I have recorded off and on with "real" singers on ocassion, and no, I haven't sold any records yet ( :eek: :D ).

Anyway...whether you are a singer or not, have you ever listened to yourself on tape and grown to hate your singing voice? That's where I'm at right now. I've been doing lots of takes on several tunes of late, and I just seem to hate it more and more. :eek:

Discuss!!!

[Short poll added.]

Jack Russell,

I have mixed feelings about my voice. I seriously practice and record in my home studio. I don't particularly care for my voice, but I'm a glutton for punishment as I practice every day.Others don't seem to complain and they claim they like it the sound of my voice. I believe there are many of us with mixed feelings about our voices. Whether we like or dislike our voices it is more important that others like it. If they like it...well and good. If not, pour on more practice 'til we get it right.;)

Best wishes,

Lloyd

I dont really like my voice... My nose is always blocked so i have a major nasel, boxey sound... Wish i had a crisp clear voice

I dont really like my voice... My nose is always blocked so i have a major nasel, boxey sound... Wish i had a crisp clear voice
Yeah, I can identify with that but does any singer you know or like sound like you ? I'd rather be unique and hate my voice than be a ten a penny singer. I've often made that observation about many of the black female soul singers of the 60s, 70s, 80s and gospel singers in general and a number of modern day R&B singers. Voice wise, perfect. Vocal perfection, even. But there is often so little differentiation between 100 of them. It's not that 'they all sound the same', rather, so often they 'could all be the same singer'.
Contradiction, no. Paradox, but of course.

I'm not super comfortable with my voice yet. The vocals in my songs are very blues based and soulful, and yet I can't sing with any kind of rock growl. I have had people say they like it a lot, and lots of people say they don't quite get it. I've been practicing hard the past few months and really pushing myself to get better in the vocals department.

I don't "like" or "dislike" my voice - I've just grown used it. And its not as though I could change it anyway. I accept it for what it is. Call it "magnificent" or call it "shit". Who cares? It's yours; live with it and love it - otherwise you've got yourself a big psychological issue if you wanna call yourself a singer.

K.

I have to say I love my singing voice, BUT it wasn't always that way !!!!
When I first heard it recorded, I hated it, but there is a gradual process where you get used to it.
This is a song where I like the sound of my voice, it's a song which used a fair bit of range. This is a song I wrote where there is a certain amount of passion in the vocals and in the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMRvXr5GsNs

Back