Who runs a commercial studio?

famous beagle

I was just wondering how many of y'all use your studio in a commercial sense (i.e., record other artists/bands for money), and what rate do y'all typically charge?

I'd also be curious to hear, from those that do use it that way, if it's their sole source of income or just a supplemental thing.

Pictures and/or websites of the studio would be a huge plus!

Thanks!

You could call mine a commercial studio because:

It is not in my home
I charge people for me to record them
I hire it out to other producers and engineers

However it is no longer my main source of income and it is run as a part time business. It was my full time profession 20 years ago but the home recording scene changed all that.

When looking at rates to charge, notice that I am in Australia so my rates don't compute with where you are, however to come up with a rate have a look at what other studios around you charge, compare your setup with them and work out if:

You have a better equipped set up.
Less equipped set up.
More experience
Less experience

Then do you have:

High overheads
Low overheads
How much are you willing to work for each hour after costs are taken out?
Can you make a profit after all costs are taken out, don't forget wear and tare on equipment and replacing old, worn out, broken gear, OH and Tax.

Then come up with a fair price that customers would be happy with and you are happy with.

I have had conversations with people that go like this: "Is the studio free this weekend" Answer: Yes, "How much do you charge" Answer: $XX "will you do it for half that?" Answer: No, "Why not you are not working anyway?" Answer: for that much it's not worth me leaving home and turning the lights on at the studio, goodbye.

Remember if you can't make it work and you just loose money don't bother starting, you don't have to try to make millions but you have to live.

Cheers

Alan.

P.S link to my studio site below:

Thanks for the response Alan. Your studio looks great.

Yeah I'm nowhere near at all doing it for a living. I'm not really anywhere near doing it part time yet (if I decide to try), just because of where I am right now with things (age of kids, etc.).

I'm just really curious to hear stories of others and details.

Back