What do u guys think of my improvised sound proofing?

Ahhh, SCREW Rami's self-righteous rants, dintymoore's foul language, Lt. Bob's clear grasp of the situation, and even my own opinions on this stuff.

I'm going back to egg crates.:D
Good. Add some flammable foam to that, and a blowtorch...do us all a favor.

You're still smarting from having your ass handed to you every time you've tried to attack me, huh??? I can't tell you the satisfaction I get from seeing a low-life pretentious blow-hard like you squirm with embarrassment.

And, congratulations on once again putting your foot in your worthless mouth. Go back and read YOUR rants, which my post was simply a response to. You really are good at embarrassing yourself, aren't you??? Absolutely hilarious. :D :D :D

Keep it coming, spineless.:)

You don't understand it better than I do and there hasn't been a single thing you've said that I wasn't aware of.

Enough ...... I think you're over reacting and I don't agree that a small amount of foam like that is a danger.

Though you SAY you're not for a nanny state ... you completely contradict that by implying that people aren't able to read the fact that I specifically said that using very much of it would be dangerous.
But .. no ..... if we allow any at all ..... then some poor stupid person might not understnad that I really mean only a small amount and oh my God, we have to protect them from their own stupidity.

You're wrong ..... period ..... there is NO code requirement that people can't have packing foam in their house ..... there is NO code requirement that people immediately take packing materials out of the house.

If you tried to run that stuff by about just anyone you'd get laughed out of the room.

Do as you wish but to immediately carry packing materials out of the house is an over reaction and WAY fearful.

Dude

Why do you think that all these tests exist (note especially the tests for things like mattresses - furniture, vertical cloth fabrics, soft foams, etc., etc., etc. that go into homes) - home furnishings and treatments are required to meet certain fire and smoke standards, do you suppose all these tests are there just for grins and giggles? And this is only the tip of the surface, this doesn't include any of the testing established under NFPA requirements and standards.

Flammability and Toxicity Testing

ASTM C542 - Flame propagation

ASTM C1166 - Flame propagation

ASTM D56 - Flash point by tag closed tester method

ASTM D93 - Close cup flash point

ASTM D229 - Method 1 - Burning rate, Method 2 - flame resistance

ASTM D635 - Burning rate in vertical position

ASTM D1929 - Self and flash ignition temperatures

ASTM D2584 - Ignition loss of cured reinforced resins

ASTM D2843 - Smoke density from the burning or decomposition of plastics

ASTM D2859 - Flammability of finished textile floor covering materials (methenamine pill)

ASTM D2863 - Limiting oxygen index (LOI)

ASTM D3014 - Flame height, burning time, loss of weight for plastics

ASTM D3065 - Flammability of aerosol products

ASTM D3675 - Surface flammability of flexible cellular materials

ASTM D3801 - Comparative extinguishing characteristics of solid plastics in a vertical position

ASTM D3874 - Ignition of materials by hot wire sources

ASTM D4804 - Flammability characteristics of non-rigid solid plastics (Methods A and B)

ASTM E84 - Surface flammability characteristics of building materials

ASTM E136 - Behavior of materials in a vertical tube furnace

ASTM E162 - Flame spread using a radiant panel

ASTM E603 - Full scale room burn test

ASTM E648 - Critical heat flux of floor coverings using a radiant panel

ASTM E659 - Auto ignition temperature of liquid chemicals (AIT)

ASTM E662 - Optical smoke density

ASTM E681 - Flammability (explosion) limits of chemicals (UEL, LEL)

ASTM E800 - HCN, Hydrogen Cyanide measurement using the colorimetric method

ASTM E906 - Heat and visible smoke release rates

ASTM E1317 - LIFT - Lateral flame spread

ASTM E1321 - Material ignition and flame spread properties

ASTM E1354 - Cone Calorimeter

ASTM E2058 (FM 4910) Screening Test- Screening test for clean room test

ASTM F814 - Smoke density for aerospace applications

AITM 2.0005 (7.1.6) 60 degree flammability

AITM 2.0008 (7.3.3) Optical smoke density

AITM 3.0005 (7.4) Toxicity

ATS 1000.001 - Flammability, smoke, toxicity, and heat release

BELLCORE GR-63-CORE - Telecommunications equipment fire resistance

BIFMA X5.7 - Furniture flammability

BMS 13-48 - Smoke and toxicity

BSS 7230 - Flammability testing of aircraft materials to FAR Part 25, Appx F, Part 1

BSS 7322 - Determination of heat release using OSU

BSS 7324 - 60 degree flammability, smoke, and toxicity

BSS 7238 - Optical smoke density

BSS 7239 - Toxic gas generation

CAL 106 - Resistance of a mattress or mattress pad to combustion from smoldering cigarettes

CAL 116 - Cigarette test of upholstered furniture

CAL 117, Sect A, Part I - Flame retardance of resilient filling materials used in upholstered furniture

CAL 117, Sect D, Part II - Cigarette smoldering screening test for bedding

CAL 121 - Flammability test procedure for mattresses in high risk occupancies

CAL 129 - Flammability test procedure for mattresses for use in public buildings

CAL 133 - Flammability test procedure for seating furniture for use in public occupancies

CFR vol. 16, 1610 - Std. for the flammability of clothing textiles (45 deg. angle test)

CFR vol. 16, 1632.4 - Mattress flammability

CPAI 84 - Tent fabric flammability

DIN 4102, Part 1, Class A1 - Ignition (only)

DOT 173.338-18(b)(7) -Flammability using a red hot platinum wire

FAA/FAR 25.853 - Flammability tests

FAA/FAR 25.855 - Flammability tests

FED STD 191A, Method 5903.1 - Flammability of cloth in a vertical direction

FED STD 191A, Method 5903.2 - Flammability of cloth in a vertical direction

FMVSS302 - Automotive interior flammability

HALOGEN CONTENT - Determination of the halogen content level

IEC 331 - Fire characteristics of electrical cables

IEC 332-1 - Single wire/cable flame propagation

IEC 332-3 - Wire/cable bunch flame propagation

IEC 695-2-2 - Fire hazard testing; needle flame test

IEC 754-1 - Evolved combustion gases of wire/cable

IEC 754-2 - Acid gas

IEC 1034 (1,2) - Smoke density of wire/cable

IEEE 383 - Cable tray flame spread

IEEE 45 - Cable tray flame spread

IMO A.652(16) - Upholstered furniture flammability test

IMO A.653(16) - LIFT - Flammability of marine surface finishes

ISO 4589-2 - Determination of burning behavior by oxygen index

ISO 5660 - Cone Calorimeter

ISO 9705 - Room burn facility and modified (1/2 scale and 1/4 scale) room burn

MIL 2031 - Fire/Toxicity tests for composites used in submarines

MIL C-24643 - Acid gas

Mobil 45 deg - Flammability test calculating weight loss for rigid urethane foams

MSC.41(64) - Smoke and toxicity products of combustion

NES 711 - Smoke

NES 713 - Toxicity

NES 715 - Temperature Index

NFPA 225 - Surface flammability characteristics of building materials

NFPA 258 - Optical smoke density

NFPA 264A - Cone calorimeter

NFPA 701 - Flame resistant textiles and fibers

NFPA 1971 - Flame resistance of cloth in a vertical direction (Fed. Std. 191A, Method 5903.1)

Room Flammability Tests - 12'x12'x12' (adjustable ceiling height)

SMP 800-C (Modified) - Combustion toxicity

UL 94 V Series - Vertical flammability

UL 94 HF Series - Horizontal flammability

UL 214 - Flame propagation of fabrics and films

UL 723 - Surface flammability characteristics of building materials

UBC 8-2 - Full scale room burn test

Last edited:
well you're not working here ... you can't be sued or prosecuted plus no one has suggested that anyone use this stuff for anything. The only frickin' thing I said was that a small box like that wouldn't be dangerous and I don't believe it is, you opinion notwithstanding. IMO you're way over reacting and also, talking to me like I'm a moron. Cut it out.

You obviously know as little about the law as you do construction.

I do not have to be paid to be held libel for what I suggest to people. Any professional in any industry can be sued if they make a suggestion that proves to be wrong (in an area that they are expert in.) Doctors, Lawyers, Auto Mechanics, engineers, etc. etc., etc. all can be sued for simply telling someone something that goes contrary to what would be considered proper in their field of expertise, especially so if the recommendation caused them any sort of physical or financial harm. Payment is not a prerequisite for liability.

I am not talking to you like you're a moron, I merely point out that you are wrong thinking (not really the same thing) - there are a ton of people out there who will think think that if this little bit (you say) is ok then a little more couldn't possibly hurt. And they will have no understanding what amount will cross the line.

I have seen this material in home studios - in semi-pro studios - and those in amounts that definitely exceed any safe limits.

I don't assume that people are stupid - but I do suggest that the vast majority don't have a clue about these things.

All they will remember is that someone said it was OK to use.

You are wrong - period - end of conversation, more the pity you can't admit it (even if only to yourself).

With this I am done - the OP should know by now that it's useless as a treatment - and not safe to have set up in his home - regardless of your opinion.

Rod

Last edited:
Good GOD, Rami, find a dictionary and look up "irony." "Ass handed to me?" "Embarrassment?" Sorry, bud, none of the above apply- everybody here, including you, knows it.

Man, you MUST be the most-easily provoked person I have ever met. You get your jockeys in a knot even when there is no intention to do so. What's your blood pressure up to, these days? 250/175???

Back