wall soundproofing

oldskooldave

Your Mother
Found 7ft by 10ft inch thick sound proofing foam, for £1.75 a sheet, is that a good deal or is it pure shit? cos I could do the whole room for like £40.00

not sure on the quality of it, but just so you know, regardless of the quality.. it is not going to 'soundproof' your wall/room.

Sound like you are talking about wall treatment, and it may make the sound in the room a bit better (or at least 'deader' -- at certain frequencies)... but it really won't do much as far as soundproofing.

Found 7ft by 10ft inch thick sound proofing foam, for £1.75 a sheet, is that a good deal or is it pure shit? cos I could do the whole room for like £40.00

For that price? Pure crap, absolutely no doubt about it at all. It will do literally NOTHING from a sound proofing standpoint, and it might make it a little worse.

Frank

not sure on the quality of it, but just so you know, regardless of the quality.. it is not going to 'soundproof' your wall/room.

Sound like you are talking about wall treatment, and it may make the sound in the room a bit better (or at least 'deader' -- at certain frequencies)... but it really won't do much as far as soundproofing.

It would be nice to have no sound leakage, but ive never cared about that, I kinda do want it to deaden the room, get rid of the room sound and echo, I was going to build an 10x10ft box to record vocals in, then put the guitar amp in, then the bass amp, then the drums and record seperately with no room sound or echo, if sound leaks thats cool, so how much would you pay for decent gear to do this box idea

Don't buy it, Dave.

Companies selling products like foam as soundproofing materials are just full of shit. They don't know what they are doing or selling... only the money.

Like Frank said, it's crap. Don't be a sucker.

You would be better off buying rolls of regular fiberglass batts..and leave them in the rolled up package and stack them in the corners. This will make an amazing difference in the room 'echos' and 'room sound'.

Cheers,
John

Companies selling products like foam as soundproofing materials are just full of shit
:D You hit the nail on the head John. Unfortunately, these types of companys are run by people with no ethics, let alone conciences. They're made of the same stuff as Bankers, Attorneys, Politicians...and some acoustician/studio designers I've come across.:-)laughings:) (oops...no reference to you John)

It would be nice to have no sound leakage, but ive never cared about that, I kinda do want it to deaden the room, get rid of the room sound and echo, I was going to build an 10x10ft box to record vocals in, then put the guitar amp in, then the bass amp, then the drums and record seperately with no room sound or echo, if sound leaks thats cool, so how much would you pay for decent gear to do this box idea

I would skip the booth and treat your entire room if you are planning or tracking one instrument at a time anyway. You want rigid fiberglass OC 703 or equivalent. Do a search for DIY bass traps and acoustic treatment. This is the most effective way to tame a room. It is also one of the cheapest.

The trouble with building a booth is that the smaller the room the more treatment you need. If you're only doing vocals it's not as bad but if you want to do drums and bass you're going to need some massive bass trapping in there. Also the 10x10 dimension is a bad idea you don't want a square room if you have 8ft ceilings you are getting awful close to a cube shape which is even worse.

What's your space like now?

:D You hit the nail on the head John. Unfortunately, these types of companys are run by people with no ethics, let alone conciences. They're made of the same stuff as Bankers, Attorneys, Politicians...and some acoustician/studio designers I've come across.:-)laughings:) (oops...no reference to you John)

...don't forget label A&R. :laughings:

Frank

don't forget label A&R
:laughings:

Hey Frank. I completely forgot to thank you for your professional insights here over the last few years. And don't ever think I was referring to you or GK with my "irreverent" comments.;) Just understand, after being around the "acoustics/studio design "community" for at least 10 years, from an outsiders point of view..I've come to some conclusions that may or may not be relevant to the pro point of view. But I'll tell you this. I've learned where I would spend my $ and who I would spit in their face..:D

LOL - he must be talking about me then............

LOL - he must be talking about me then............
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

GOOD GRIEF NO ROD!! If anything, you're the epitome of honesty and professional ethics. Come on Rod, you know I hold you in the highest respect.

With all due respect to the Pro Acoustics community, let me just say ....that was kind of a joke. I'll try to refrain from now on. However, I do think there are SOME studio designers whom, at least in my view, lean towards the use of some products by virtue of the fact....THEY ARE DEALERS FOR THESE PRODUCTS:mad: ...which in my book is a blatant conflict of interest. Let me give you an example.

What if Architect X, were licenced as a dealer in a certain product, which when tested, had a very low fire rating compared to another brand. Yet, the Architect SPECIFIED the product he sells because HE makes a profit. Is that ethical? I would submit it isn't. Yet I see this in the Studio Design world, especially when it comes to MONITORS and DIFFUSION devices. I've been personally told that it is common place for Studio designers to align themselves with certain monitor manufacturers, as they have "trust" in the
specifications and performance, which is understandable. HOWEVER, when said studio designer OWNS the manufacturing company of said monitor...well, lets just say it raises an eyebrow. Or when I see a certain acoustics product used repeatedly on projects by a given designer, and THEN find out he's licenced to sell that product or owns the company that manufactures it outright....well, you be the judge.:rolleyes:R

As a explaination to my view that there appears to be a certain amount of HOCUS POCUS in the Studio Design world, let me just say this. After a 15 year journey of studio design interest, I've discovered that many things, such as the use of Soffits, splayed walls, diffusion in small rooms, QRD's vs POLYS, HANGERS, SLOT/SLAT walls and a few others are simply SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT, or designer PREFERENCES, all of which are routinely argued or defended on any given day in the forums interested in this area of expertise, Yet if the "science" of acoustics is the foundation by which studio designers "supposedly" base their designs on, it would seem to me, if certain elements are only "school of thought" mind farts, and are not truly defined in the sense of scientific "yes they work-no, they don't work" testing, which if I believe what certain studio designers have told me about how any given design is CERTIFIED, then I rest my case. It appears the ONLY certification that matters is....THE CLIENTS CHECK! In FACT, the ONLY time I've ever read about Control Room design CERTIFICATION, is when LEDE room designs were SPECIFIED by virtue of LICENCING the use of the LEDE "logo" by the company who designed the actual specifications....and who THEN TESTED THE ROOM for compliance!! It also appears this type of "accountablity" is no longer in vogue, as the "reputation" of any given designer appears to be THE
Certification itself. Thats not to say that each designer doesn't meet the "contractural agreement", but I've yet to see ANY type of community wide "standards" by which a designer is HELD to accountability by virtue of TESTING the room. The only thing I've read in that regards, is a defence of a few designers methodology by vague..." I design rooms that sound "good", or "musical" or some such bull. NEVER do I see..."my rooms meet EBU xxx Standards (or some kind of scientific specifications) and I CERTIFY my design by virtue of TESTING."

Look guys, I've beat this horse for so many years I've simply come to the conclusion this design genre is exactly what I read two days ago on the Manely website. Although the statement quoted below is in regards to "Mastering", personally, I have the same view in regards to recording studio DESIGN philosophy.

Well, here's some basics for you:
The mastering business here has grown from a few elite facilities 10 years
ago to perhaps 4 times as many in recent years. Business and profits
continue to be good even though competition has grown. With the
proliferation of project and home studios there seems to be solid growth in
the customer base. However, the best reasons to have a mastering business
here, are the hourly rates versus the initial investment in equipment.
Mastering rates are very comparable to renting a 48 track studio with an
SSL, and we see rates from $50 per hour up to $300 per hour. The initial
cost of constructing a room and purchasing gear tends to be about 10% of
what it would be for a major recording room and the choice of equipment
tends to be more of an in-house decision rather than set by client demands
and fashion. In America, clients are attracted by the reputation of the
engineer, with almost no consideration to the facility or equipment. In
fact, some engineers try to keep an air of mystique and elitism in regards to the gear, techniques and process, almost like a magic show. Several American engineers almost exclusively use equipment built in-house (or hide conventional gear) in order to promote the "mystery". In Europe there is a different attitude where the facility is given more importance, gear choices are more scrutinized and there is much less "glamour" and posturing.

One final example. After reading the following quote(in regards to the use of QRD's vs POLY's), which was written by Scott Foster over at Studiotits, I asked a well known Studio Designer over at PSW what he thought as said designer uses QRD's all the time. As a Moderator of the forum I posted this on, his and the other mod's answer? They REMOVED ALL MY POSTS, and BANNED me forever...without so much as a warning, even though I didn't break ANY rules, or anything. It appears that when other members of the community offer a view different from those whose reputation is on the line by virtue of this alternate view, and are a Moderator of a high end forum that is viewed by people around the world, they can't allow people to see a view that is backed up by scientific rational or they may be at risk of reputation "devaluation":D Anyway, here is what Scott said.
The world of studio design abounds with anti-scientific ideas. Clients want cool looking structures that express in physical form a wide range of wacky esoteric ideas. Corrugated diffusers are only one example. Designers and builders serve these emotional needs to the extent their clients have the money to fund its realization, and that's OK with me even if the Pope is a bit miffed. We might as well start bitching about fancy automobiles having little statutes of naked women on the hood because they don't make the car go faster. I say - let the boys have their fun.

But if you want to understand how well a curved plate works as a diffuser, versus how poorly all these silly corrugated surfaces work you can start reading some scientific papers on the subject [a couple of suggested papers are listed below to start you off]. You can also use standard speaker directivity measurement techniques [ground plane measurement method] to explore the matter yourself - it aint rocket surgery.

You will soon find that the corrugated stuff, to the extent it works at all, only works at certain frequency bands. Between these bands are lobes of utter ineffectiveness. Also you will find that at anything other than normal incidence, such diffusive performance as the device do obtain at normal incidence quickly collapses at other angles.

This is why when a professional is serious about needing diffusion [as opposed to just messing with the clients head and providing some eye-candy] they use a curved plate. If you look in a reverb chamber where maximizing diffusion is critical to measurement accuracy, you will not find corrugated diffusers in the corners, you will instead find curved plates. There is a very good reason for that

So, for posting this quote...I got banned. That tells me something.:rolleyes:

Well, enough of this. Just had to express my frustrations. I've finally reached the end of my journey into the rabbit hole. And its been enlightening.

BTW, good to see you back here Rod. I'm just glad there are people like yourself around here. Keeps us amateurs in line:D

fitZ

Back