For those interested.

Brian Grey

For those of you who are interested in looking at the pictures I just scanned in of the studio I'm building, the links are as follows.
http://greysfiles.com/images/edit00.jpg through 10. And I'm a retard and somehow I left out 04. Oh well. John Sayers is making a site devoted to the progress of, I think, three members' studios. Mine, his own, and I can't remember the name of the other guy! Sorry! :)
Don't expect to be blown away by these pictures. The studio is half way between really nice amature and decent pro. I hope everyone enjoys the photos, and I can't wait to see what John is cooking up.
While you're at it, you can check out my band's website, which is http://www.greysfiles.com. You can listen to two older tracks in the "Songs" section.

Later,
-Brian

[Edited by Brian Grey on 09-19-2000 at 13:23]

looking good brian , always good to see other studios ....keep it up... hey one thing ... whats OSB?? some ype of wall covering? and whats the benefits of using it ? cheers...
spider

Spider said:
looking good brian , always good to see other studios ....keep it up... hey one thing ... whats OSB?? some ype of wall covering? and whats the benefits of using it ? cheers...
spider

Thanks!

OSB is another name for particle wood/flake board/chip board... It has a bunch of names, and OSB is the easiest to type. What benefits? It's really strong, and it stops quite a bit of sound. We put 2 layers of it on every wall. The really criticle walls we used 2 layers of 3/4", and the not-so crticle walls we used 2 layers of 1/2". The strength not only helps stop sound, but the main thing we're after is cutting down on wall resonance. The resonant frequency of our walls should be below the audible range, which is very good.

Later,
-Brian

Great pictures!
Is the studio located near a radio station or airport?? Just wondering if the foil was to address a specific RF problem of the area or just as a precaution to avoid any chance of transmissions. I've never really heard of doing that ... did you use a specific type of foil?
Seeing your post made me run to see what, if any, pics I had of my construction. Sorry to say that I only took 3 pics during the framing and then didn't bring the camera back down again until we were done ... oops. :(
Actually, maybe that's good because now I can lie about how I made the walls ... uhhh ... yeah ... there's resilient channels in there ... yeah ... :)
We did a similar thing to your painting "Greys Studio" before we put up drywall ... except we wrote "Buried treasure here --> X" :D
Anyway, nice pics ... thanks for sharing.

Is the studio located near a radio station or airport?? Kind of. It's located in a fairly large city, and we live about 2 miles away from the largest TV tower in the state. So, we're protecting against that, but we probably would have done it even if we lived in the country.

"I've never really heard of doing that ... did you use a specific type of foil?" Ahh yeah, Reynolds Restaurant grade. We put it up with wall paper paste and taped the seams with duct tape. I have a DMM I can check the continuity from the front to the back of the studio and it shows 0 ohms (continuity). We're even going to make it so we can turn off the foil protection using a light switch. If we need to make a cell phone call, just flip the switch. :) I'm an electronics technician, I know lots of stupid things like this.

"Sorry to say that I only took 3 pics during the framing and then didn't bring the camera back down again until we were done ... oops." Man that sucks! That's the exact opposite of what we have. We have about 300 pictures and about 7 hours of video. I helped my dad build some rooms when I was 13 and we didn't take a single picture, not even a before shot. I made sure not to make the same mistake with this project. We also want them for reference at a later date. Some day I may want to sell the house, then I may need to show the buyers the way we built it. Ya just never know what you may need it for. I'm also going to put the drawings I made of the Z-channel positions in a file.

Thanks for the feed back!

Brian,

I would be interested in finding out more information on the foil thing you did to your control room.

Do you have any information about this method and how effective it is in eliminating RF?

How did you attach the foil to the ground wire...soldered at some point?? Did you go right off the ground wire in the 12/2 you used to power the room?

Nate

good post Brian - regarding the foil thing what we do is to use chicken wire in the frame and solder each section together and then earth it. We haven't done it here as we can't get decent radio reception and my client has to have a satellite to get TV. We'll be up soon
cheers :D

dude. this has gotten me way into wanting to uild. there is no way im doing it yet everthing i do is research. but a couple yeras of research while im still in school is good. i always do things better when i research for a long time. Ok, im game to links on the net of what to read. Ive already caught a couple from Proveras and such. i guess its just up to me to search more. fun.. build. mmmm...

"Do you have any information about this method and how effective it is in eliminating RF?" Let me say this... I work with wire all the time that comes in a casing, and is called Shielded cable. It's not that it has armor, it's that it is wrapped in foil and a wire that touches the foil is grounded. All it has to do is touch the foil at one spot, and it touches the entire length of the cable. So I guess their research and development is the proof I need to make it work. Also, Van Halen, and countless others use chicken wire. Foil was just what worked out best for us.

"How did you attach the foil to the ground wire..." Well, I used staples. Plain and simple. We tested the continuity to make sure it was a good connection, using my DMM (digital miltimeter). I'll just run the wire into the power panel and connect it to the ground bus.

kristian said:
dude. this has gotten me way into wanting to uild. there is no way im doing it yet everthing i do is research. but a couple yeras of research while im still in school is good. i always do things better when i research for a long time. Ok, im game to links on the net of what to read. Ive already caught a couple from Proveras and such. i guess its just up to me to search more. fun.. build. mmmm...

I'm glad that what my friends and I are doing has inspired you to build. Ok... my friend Pete, who is helping build and fund wants to type a little... here he is...

Hi... some words of wisdom... do your research, cuz that's what we did, but remember that the project is going to be much larger than you now realize. One of our mottos is "ignorance is bliss" because if we realized what we were getting ourselves into, we may have decided to go a different route. But I trust that you will believe that it will all be worth the effort. Keep the faith, the let your dreams become reality!

Ok, and now a word from our sponsor...

Later,
-Brian

Brian Grey said:
For those of you who are interested in looking at the pictures I just scanned in of the studio I'm building, the links are as follows.

Later,
-Brian

Hey Brian,

Looks killer man!! So, I have to ask: What's it running you for Materials?

I haven't done any Studio building in a while- I love doing that man!
I did my place 12 years ago, and it's great-BUT it's a litle cramped (my Total space before I started building was 22' x 24'. So, It's down about a foot in either direction.

I just really need more room. I'm looking at some commercial buildings downtown right now....I figured I could live there as well! hahaha

Tim

Excellent job Brian. I'm still in the very early stages of my iso-vocal room. I took some "WAY" before pictures of which I'm waiting to develop and have scanned and will send out ASAP!

MISTERQCUE said:
Excellent job Brian. I'm still in the very early stages of my iso-vocal room. I took some "WAY" before pictures of which I'm waiting to develop and have scanned and will send out ASAP!

One of the guys helping us build is a photo nut! We'll start a new leg of the project, and 2 days later we'll have pictures of it! :) If it wasn't for him (Pete) I'd probably be in the same boat as everyone else, except I do have tons of video I've taken. You should capture the moments as best you can. It may seem a bit like a pain in the ass while you're building, but looking back at something so momentous is quite a bit of fun.

Back