Studio Construction Photos

frederic

While I'm not done, I've organized probably 80% of my studio construction photos together, instead of all over the place. I got tired of maintaining crap all over the place, so together makes a lot less work for me, and easier for those of you interested in my projects, to find them.

http://frederic.midimonkey.com/_index.html

When the page comes up, I have all my stuff together, studio and otherwise, so at the left hand frame, click "studio" and that frame will be replaced with studio-related projects. This includes construction of the studio, the vocal booth, the 12.5' wide steel console table, the doghouse I just posted, the mic mount, and the recorder rack. Other projects as I do them, will get added to this menu.

I've gone out of my way not to use anything but boring, fast loading, HTML.

Thanks!

There's really not much more to post, I'm almost done. Just some heavy duty cleaning, organizing, and some wiring.

I just wanted to put the pictures together, so people might get some ideas from them for their own studios.

Dude, you must make some serious bread. All the projects you've worke don... Just seeing all of your tools and garage.... damn! Building cars...

I went through every picture and only have one question...

How did you hook that webcam up? You ran a super long wire from the webcam it looks like inside the walls and probably out by your computer or whatever is handling the webcam... Now, what if that cord is ever faulty or goes bad or something? Wouldn't you have to tear out your walls to replace it?

Just a stupid question...

But anyway, the studio looks fantastic and expensive... the building, your gear... tons of gear... The stairs and vocal booth is unique definitely... you pulled that off pretty good.

Leaves me in awe... but also very jealous... hehe..

Good job. ;)

ThaArtist said:
Dude, you must make some serious bread. All the projects you've worke don... Just seeing all of your tools and garage.... damn! Building cars...

I went through every picture and only have one question...

How did you hook that webcam up? You ran a super long wire from the webcam it looks like inside the walls and probably out by your computer or whatever is handling the webcam... Now, what if that cord is ever faulty or goes bad or something? Wouldn't you have to tear out your walls to replace it?

Just a stupid question...

But anyway, the studio looks fantastic and expensive... the building, your gear... tons of gear... The stairs and vocal booth is unique definitely... you pulled that off pretty good.

Leaves me in awe... but also very jealous... hehe..

Good job. ;)

He's The Man.

ThaArtist said:
How did you hook that webcam up? You ran a super long wire from the webcam it looks like inside the walls and probably out by your computer or whatever is handling the webcam...

The webcam is made by Dlink, and is a standalone unit. It requires an outlet for the wall wart and an ethernet jack, both as you can see I put on the ceiling just above the camera mount. That's it. No computer, no software, no windows or linux hassles, nothing. Plug it in and it's online. To make it public again, I just have to open a port in my firewall.

ThaArtist said:

Thanks! But don't be fooled. While I've sent a ton of money on gear over the years, most of it was from ebay, acquired via barter system, consignment at music stores, or "scratch and dent" from the same music stores. A few pieces of gear I bought brand new, like the Triton-Rack and the Fender Cybertwin amp I have. Most everything else was acquired in some "not list price" way.

Same for the other pages of my website... the crewcab pickup you saw is 12 years old and has about 350K on it more or less. Not exactly a new truck :D

Anyways, thanks for the compliments!

For example, to illustrate both frugality and packrat-ness....

IM001406.JPG

Neat, a wad of 8' sections of mogomi TRS cable. I must have 20-30 wads just like this. Why? 10 years ago when my pro studio went under, I hacked out all the patch bays, and all the patch bay cabling. Why? I might need them someday. Yeah, ADC patch bays aren't cheap, saving them (or selling) makes sense, but the wiring?

This is why my wife sometimes hates me, but at the same time when I start needing to make patch cords, here's the top quality cable for it. I have TRS plugs in another box in the attic, somewhere. Probably about 200-250 or so.

When we closed down that place, I even took out the reusable wire ties. And the rack screws. And the racks. And the outlet covers, the oak trim, the carpeting, fancy doorknobs, everything. Essentially anything not nailed down :D

You may call me SPR (Super Pack Rat).

You never know when you might need something!

You seem to be a little young to have been marked by the great depression of the 1930's. I'm thinkin' therapy.

You don't have a shopping cart in front of your house by chance? :D

No, just piles of car parts on pallets for ebay selling.

Its funny driving down my street.... looking in driveways....

jag...
benz...
lexus...

(then my house)
car parts, old crewcab, 12 y/o olds, 99 CV
(then continuing on...)

lexus... porsche... jag...

LMAO

You seem to be a little young to have been marked by the great depression of the 1930's
I didn't know it was over? :eek: :confused:
You may call me SPR
Doggone SPR, meet a fellow SPR :D

Looks great there frederic. Your DIY stuff is excellent. Well, I've finally got to the point where I could actually use some of the stuff I've collected frederic. Heres a pic of some of the "extrusions" I've used. This is only one of about 20 projects I currently have going for the studio. This one is wierd though. Don't ask what it is. :D It's not done. And it IS for the studio believe it or not. I'll post my own "DIY" thread soon to explain. And yes, as Csus put it, it is HIDEOUS. ;) In it's present form. Like I said, its not done. Oh, did I mention DON"T ASK... :o :p
And Csus, you've said your opinion.
http://rmfproductions.com/GIFs/RMF Studio/ARTPIECE.jpg
http://rmfproductions.com/GIFs/RMF Studio/ARTPIECE3.JPG
http://rmfproductions.com/GIFs/RMF Studio/ARTPIECE8.JPG

Leave it to Frederic.............

Not only is he the defacto DIY king around here, but he also has found the absolute best way to display his studio photos. Wow!!! That is so simple and FAST that it just blows away anything else I've seen for catching a glimpse of your project. One of these days I need to learn how you do that!!

I do have to admit, though, that I really miss the old webcam. Being a voyeur last year during your major construction was the highlight of many days spent at work in front of the computer. Just being able to flip over to the webcam to see if you were making dust or staring at your computer screen was exhillerating for some reason. I imagine watching you solder would not have the same effect, though, so don't read too much into this.

Have fun!!!

Darryl.....

RICK FITZPATRICK said:

I just gotta bite on this one, Rick. I have stared at this thing for awhile now and my curiousity is just bursting at the seams. Since your filename includes the word "ARTPIECE" can we assume it is a non-functional piece meant for decorative purposes or does this have a mind-blowing function for your custom studio? You said "don't ask" but I cannot help myself ;) I guess I need therapy...........

Darryl.....

DDev said:
That is so simple and FAST that it just blows away anything else I've seen for catching a glimpse of your project. One of these days I need to learn how you do that!!

It's simple actually... I scale the pictures from 1600x1280 down to 400x300 or 500x400, depending, and reduce from a zillion colors down to about 1024 colors. Makes the jpgs much smaller (30K each, more or less). The HTML is a set of frames, menu on the left, and the pages on the right (the bigger area) are just tables, with two boxes per row. Left box for text, right box for picture. No java, javascript, active X, flash, nothing. Saves me space, makes things load quicker, and is by far much easier to maintain. I do a little PHP on the back end, and I have a master theme config file, so I can change the text, link, and background universally throughout all the pages regardless of topic. So what you see is the "built" HTML that my server creates on the fly. Very fast, very easy to control, and it makes maintaining colors and menus that much easier.

DDev said:
I do have to admit, though, that I really miss the old webcam. Being a voyeur last year during your major construction was the highlight of many days spent at work in front of the computer. Just being
Have fun!!!

I can open the firewall ports if you want to watch again, though I'm not doing anything exciting at the moment. Just planning the remainder of the patch bays, and cleaning the floor so I have room to work. By the time the holidays are over I'm hoping to be able to *use* my studio without monkey rigging of cabling across the floor. I'm tried of tripping.

Very, very cool sir. I just went through the saga although I'd seen a bit of it from past posts. You definately built to military spec. I thought my set up was anal! :eek: :D

Ya know what would be way cool is if once you get the studio running, you let the camera roll while tracking and workin' the studio.

frederic said:
While I'm not done, I've organized probably 80% of my studio construction photos together,.

Wow so detailed it would put Bob Villa to shame, way to go nice work...

Question your rack for you amps & recorders could you pull them out
or you need to crawl in that litle door to change something arround.....
i guess thats why you have so much patch bays not to ever go back there..

Anyways its a prety cool studio

Nice pics.. I learned a few things by reading how you did things. Hopefully i'll be in your position one day.. But i gotta start out small.. Very small..

Great set-up

And that color is sick... I like all of my stuff to match too..

Thanks guys for the feedback! I can see the floor now after 4 hours of cleaning! Starting to make patch cords too.

Punkin - I will open the ports and put a page on my website for the cam, once I remember which ports to open. One of those things I forgot to write down :D

Karlocheech - The amps and recorders are in the front, under console enclosure, and the back is completely open. To change wiring on those devices I have to crawl under the console table, around the back, and adjust the wiring. I intend to do this once - to finish installation - then I won't be crawling down there anymore.

The producer's desk, with the four racks with the countertop and the little door, I'll be removing all the gear except for the rightmost gear, and wiring them to the patch bays. Then install the next rack, wiring those to the patch bays. Then the leftmost rack, to the patch bays, then finally in the 3rd rack I'll screw in all the bays and it's done. The patch bays will be in the producer's desk, so I shouldn't need to unload/load gear, or climb through that little door on the side. I put the door there anyway, as my least used midi modules are in the rightmost rack next to the door, so if I change my mind on things, sell some of the older gear and buy new gear, I can access the patch cords via that door, and not have to crawl in. I have no intention of climbing back there, or unloading/loading the racks on regular basis. That's what the patch bays are for, which haven't been installed yet. Almost there though!

The two sets of racks aren't as exposed or convienent as I'd normally strive for, but I decided I'd rather have the floor space with the hope that i'm not rewiring my studio every time I use it. I have six amps (one being a 4x12 cabinet) and a drum set to squeeze in here too.

Back