*STICKY* Where to Buy Rigid Fiberglass

Yeah, those are called gobos and they work great according to everything I've read. In fact, I'll be building a couple for my room after all the holiday chaos.
I've heard of people doubling up the 2" thick sheets of 703 to make 4" thick in the frames. Would this be necessary to make these vocal walls I mentioned in my last post?

Anyone know if I can get some in Kansas city? I'm striking out swinging!
Ask for Knauf rigid fiberglass board, plain, in the thickness you are interested in(2",3",4") Comes in 4'x10' sheets. You cut it to size as required.

SPI
1700 Jasper
North Kansas City, Missouri***64116
816-842-4900
816-842-4959 FAX
866-475-6331
kansascity@spi-co.com

fitZ:)

putting this material in wood frames and positioning them in sort of a semi-circle around a mic stand & mic to serve as a vocal booth... would this be OK?

Yes, as long as the frames also have a rigid back. Otherwise sound simply passes through the fiberglass. You need a back(boundary) for these to work, just like a wall. Plus, if the backs are thick like 3/4", and the units are very high(like floor to 7' or so, or close to the ceiling they become gobos, which will reduce sound from other instruments from reaching the mic. As long as reflections from the walls don't reach the mic as well. For really good isolation with gobos, use a corner with the corner having a superchunk or a floor to cieling panel diagonally across the corner, and then enough gobos to encircle the vocalist and mic. Takes quite a few though. This simply becomes a quasi vocal booth.

Any better then an old bed mattress against a wall behind the mic stand?
Yes, much better. The thicker the better too. 4" works wonders. Use em diagonally across the corners when you mix too. Then they become bass traps.

OK, it's time for a vote: I can merge this thread with the sticky thread above on the same topic. I didn't stick the other thread, I guess Dragon did. I'm not sure what the history of these two threads is. I'm not exactly sure what happens if I merge them. But that would get the posts in this thread sticky status--I don't really want to have two stickies on the same topic.

Thoughts?

I'm not exactly sure what happens if I merge them.

Merging them will put the first post of this thread after the last post on the other thread. At least that's what it does for me when I merge on PHPbb. I'd assume it's the same on vbulletin. I would rather sticky each one rather then merge them.

Merging them will put the first post of this thread after the last post on the other thread. At least that's what it does for me when I merge on PHPbb. I'd assume it's the same on vbulletin. I would rather sticky each one rather then merge them.

I'm not going to sticky both though. This is the type of thread that someone looks for their own city to find a distributor, I'm not sure that chronological order of posts is that important. If I sticky both, then they just have to search two threads rather than one.

There are also other threads that I know should be stickied here, I'm waiting for people to dig them up. There is a limit on how many stickies a board can reasonably have; I think that's probably three.

Bumping...
Anyone know of a supplier in Calgary? Anything in Western Canada would probably work...

Cheers,
Oren

For guys that want the stuff delivered to your door in the UK, just found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockwool-RWA45-Acoustic-Sound-Insulation-50mm-5-76m2_W0QQitemZ390059405778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item5ad15a31d2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

He's selling 50mm sheets in packs of 8, each 600mm x 1200mm for £20 (delivered) That's about £3.50m2.

You'll probably find it cheaper if you want to drive around, but for sheer convenience it might be hard to beat.

**EDIT** Just noticed (after attempting to buy some) that there's a minimum order of 5 packs. So unless you can use/sell on that quantity you might want to try this place:

http://www.eviee.co.uk/Rockwool-RWA45-Slab-%28Red-Label%29.htm

No minimum order and a UK-wide delivery charge of £10 for the 50mm in a pack of 9, 600mm x 1200mm sheets.

This works out at £29.83 delivered, or £4.60 per m2

Hope that helps someone

Peter

Last edited:
Back