*STICKY* Where to Buy Rigid Fiberglass

I have genuine OC 703 for $69 for a box of 6 pcs - 2'x4'x2". I also carry the 4" 8lb mineral wool for bass absorbtion and acoustical cotton in various sizes, thicknesses, and densities if you prefer a 'green' product.

Bryan
Sensible Sound Solutions

I have a quick question. Let's say I buy a few boards of the rigid fiberglass...Is it really necessary that I put cloth around them and actually build the bass trap or would I be fine buying some mic stands and attaching the raw fiberglass to the mic stand? I really do need to get the most out of my money.

Thanks

ryanformato said:
I have a quick question. Let's say I buy a few boards of the rigid fiberglass...Is it really necessary that I put cloth around them and actually build the bass trap or would I be fine buying some mic stands and attaching the raw fiberglass to the mic stand? I really do need to get the most out of my money.
I wouldn't do it. If you have them attached to mic stands, then that means they will be moved alot and bumped-up against, etc. If you were just hanging them on the wall, that might not be so bad. If you are trying to get by on the cheap, just get some dollar-a-yard fabric from WalMart or someplace online, like this. If you get 58" wide fabric, you only need 3 yards to cover one panel. I used iron-on tape which is really cheap (a long roll of it for less than $2). It's just like wrapping a Christmas present. I even had the ladies at Wal Mart cut the pieces for me so all I had to do was wrap the panels and iron-on the glue. It worked out to barely over $3 to cover each panel.

Thanks for the reply. I have been browsing everywhere and I really like this site.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/

They seem to give you a finished product or the option to buy the raw materials. They allow you to buy owens corning 703 for $13.80 for 2x4x2. They also sell really nice fabric (a bit expensive) but I think I will end up buying it. They also sell the completed products for like $32.95. It seems like a good deal so I don't have to do any work :) What do you think?

Well... you just posted about how you have to "get the most out of your money" and now all of a sudden you are willing to pay 3x more than you would making them yourself. :rolleyes:

All I've got to say is good luck with everything!

:D

I try to go the cheap way but then I think about it and I see that I'm not saving that much money so why not just go all out anyways. Thanks :)

If you can make a panel for $15 or buy one already made for $50, diy seems like a good way to save a substantial amount of money. Let's say you need 8 panels. Diy is $120. Pre made is $400! You're saving $280 which could buy a set of budget monitors.

Illinois?

Anyone know where to find rigid fiberglass in central Illinois?

Hopefully, I'll be moving soon, and hopefully into a larger place, so hopefully I'll be needing more :p

It took three months to scout it out last time, but now I don't remember where I got it from, only that it was in Peoria Illinois :o

Never hurts to ask, right? :rolleyes:

Anyone know where to find rigid fiberglass in central Illinois?

Hopefully, I'll be moving soon, and hopefully into a larger place, so hopefully I'll be needing more :p

It took three months to scout it out last time, but now I don't remember where I got it from, only that it was in Peoria Illinois :o

Never hurts to ask, right? :rolleyes:
Holy Flashback Batman!!!

That little endeavor didn't serve me so well...did it! :D

(one divorce/forclosure/loss of job later!)

Please help me find this stuff in Michigan....close to Saginaw or bay city

Or tell me what home depot or lowes has to offer...they have no clue what mineral wool is..or rock wool!!

Please help me find this stuff in Michigan....close to Saginaw or bay city

Or tell me what home depot or lowes has to offer...they have no clue what mineral wool is..or rock wool!!

come on..how about FLINT MI.any thing there!!!

putting this material in wood frames and positioning them in sort of a semi-circle around a mic stand & mic to serve as a vocal booth... would this be OK? Any better then an old bed mattress against a wall behind the mic stand?

putting this material in wood frames and positioning them in sort of a semi-circle around a mic stand & mic to serve as a vocal booth... would this be OK? Any better then an old bed mattress against a wall behind the mic stand?

Yeah, those are called gobos and they work great according to everything I've read. In fact, I'll be building a couple for my room after all the holiday chaos.

Back