Rockwool

Keyster

I wouldn't bother with a booth. It won't be soundproof and it will sound terrible. Treat your room instead. There have been a few threads on this in the last couple weeks with first hand accounts and explanations on why a booth is a really bad idea.

I wouldn't bother with a booth. It won't be soundproof and it will sound terrible. Treat your room instead. There have been a few threads on this in the last couple weeks with first hand accounts and explanations on why a booth is a really bad idea.
Thanks Jeff. I know there have been quite a few threads on this, but I really need somewhere I can record my vocals without disturbing the neighbours/my partner! It may well end up sounding terrible but that's better than not sounding at all! You see, apart from acoustic guitar, I play everything else through headphones, so there is no noise issue at the moment.

It may well end up sounding terrible but that's better than not sounding at all! You see, apart from acoustic guitar, I play everything else through headphones, so there is no noise issue at the moment.

Better not sounding at all then sounding terrible. Trust me you don't want to make a booth. I made one an it sounds horrible like your singing with a box over your head. Make your own bass traps and a gobo **Credit goes to jeff d** he really helped me out on what I should do about treating my room.
Look up owens corning 703 rigid fiberglass you can builld your own bass traps
I'm in the process of makin about 4 or 5 myself.
Don't waste your money like I did.
An try and record vocals when your partner isn't home.
An as for you neighbors they shouldn't hear you anyways unless you sing opera

Also, could someone explain why I cannot use plain, non-rigid mineral wool
like this?
http://www.space-insulation.com/blanket.html
Thanks in advance.
As no-one else bothered, I'll explain; It isn't dense enough. It might be fine for mid/high frequencies, but not for bass. However, a few of these, left rolled up, and placed in the room corners will work well for really low budget bass traps.

A booth can work ok, depending on its size. What size were you thinking?

Better not sounding at all then sounding terrible. Trust me you don't want to make a booth. I made one an it sounds horrible like your singing with a box over your head. Make your own bass traps and a gobo **Credit goes to jeff d** he really helped me out on what I should do about treating my room.
Look up owens corning 703 rigid fiberglass you can builld your own bass traps
I'm in the process of makin about 4 or 5 myself.
Don't waste your money like I did.
An try and record vocals when your partner isn't home.
An as for you neighbors they shouldn't hear you anyways unless you sing opera
How did you make your booth?

Hi guys. I am considering making a small soundproof vocal booth at my recording space.
Can anyone tell me the different attributes/ disadvantages of;
Rockwool RWA45
http://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=583
Rockwool RW3
http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/Multi-Purpose-Slabs/Rockwool-RW3-Slab.htm
Rockwool RWA45 has a density of 45kg/m3 and Rockwool RW3 a density of 60kg/m3. In theory RW3 should perform slightly better but either should be fine for acoustic applications.

As no-one else bothered, I'll explain; It isn't dense enough. It might be fine for mid/high frequencies, but not for bass. However, a few of these, left rolled up, and placed in the room corners will work well for really low budget bass traps.

A booth can work ok, depending on its size. What size were you thinking?
I am looking at 120cm (approx 4ft) wide x 120cm (4ft) length x 240cm (8ft) high. I intend to build a frame consisting of 50mm x 50mm (2" x 2") battens/joists, screwing plywood boards to the outside of the frame and fixing the Rockwool RWA45 slabs to the inside. Front section to be hinged to act as entrance.

I sound like this anyway:(

I sound like this anyway:(

Hahahaha...that was the funniest post I've seen today. Good on you for having a sense of humor...they're rare these days.

Panda already got you the right info. I'll just add that if 60 is just as available as 45, then go with 60kg/m3.

Frank

I am looking at 120cm (approx 4ft) wide x 120cm (4ft) length x 240cm (8ft) high. I intend to build a frame consisting of 50mm x 50mm (2" x 2") battens/joists, screwing plywood boards to the outside of the frame and fixing the Rockwool RWA45 slabs to the inside. Front section to be hinged to act as entrance.
Could you build it any bigger? What about the floor and ceiling?

Could you build it any bigger? What about the floor and ceiling?
Well I could, as the room i'm in is about 14ft x 14 ft, but I really don't want to go any bigger than the 4ft x 4ft 'Tardis' I am thinking of doing.
Really, all I want is a place where I can go and do my vocals unhibited (and without partner/neighbours thinking I am having a fit:()
Floor and ceiling? I was thinking of constructing the whole thing from the same materials.

Mines was made from a closet. With auralex dumbest thing I have evr done. But even if he is planing to use rockwool 4x4 is too small. U want a good vocal booth you are going to have to spend a lot!!! Of money
I don't know. In my opinion its not worth it.

Well I could, as the room i'm in is about 14ft x 14 ft, but I really don't want to go any bigger than the 4ft x 4ft 'Tardis' I am thinking of doing.
Really, all I want is a place where I can go and do my vocals unhibited (and without partner/neighbours thinking I am having a fit:()
Floor and ceiling? I was thinking of constructing the whole thing from the same materials.
Well what is the existing construction like, what is it made of, why do you think you need isolation, how much isolation do you need, what may be possible weak links (doors, windows, ...), etc?

Last edited:
I was thinking of wearing scuba diving gear when using the booth:)

Now you're talking!

Seriously, I think you should reconsider. Maybe all you need is a better door to help the immediate surroundings, but anything you build thick enough to achieve real isolation is going to sound terrible inside, and you'll already be hurting for space, so sufficient treatment is unrealistic.

The problems with your vocals are likely as much psychological as they are actual.

Just sing a lot and don't worry about what other people might think of that (unless you're married to them).

Peace

SC

Well what is the existing construction like, what is it made of, why do you think you need isolation, how much isolation do you need, what may be possible weak links (doors, windows, ...), etc?
It's a spare room at my terrace home. Uncovered floorboards, pretty solid stud wall to the north & east, brick wall to south & west. Unglazed window at south. Ordinary door to east. The whole place is a weak link!
I need the isolation purely for vocal work. All my other musical instrumentation is done via headphones ie guitar through Pod Farm, midi through Reason, using Audition as my DAW.
All of the stuff I do at the moment is thrown together. I see myself more as a songwriter than a performer. I play all the instrumentation to my songs myself and then intend to get proper guitar players to redo the guitar bits, pianists to redo the piano etc. In other words, my recordings are just demos.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=300568
I am not bothered if the vocals will sound crap in a makeshift iso booth. A bit of reverb and auto-tune will sort that!:laughings:
I understand peoples misgivings about some newbie intending to make a makeshift iso booth :o, but really what I need to know is, to what degree, if any would my planned iso booth work or would I be better off saving my time and money and doing my vocals in the wardrobe?:eek:

It's a spare room at my terrace home. Uncovered floorboards, pretty solid stud wall to the north & east, brick wall to south & west. Unglazed window at south. Ordinary door to east. The whole place is a weak link!
I need the isolation purely for vocal work. All my other musical instrumentation is done via headphones ie guitar through Pod Farm, midi through Reason, using Audition as my DAW.
All of the stuff I do at the moment is thrown together. I see myself more as a songwriter than a performer. I play all the instrumentation to my songs myself and then intend to get proper guitar players to redo the guitar bits, pianists to redo the piano etc. In other words, my recordings are just demos.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=300568
I am not bothered if the vocals will sound crap in a makeshift iso booth. A bit of reverb and auto-tune will sort that!:laughings:
I understand peoples misgivings about some newbie intending to make a makeshift iso booth :o, but really what I need to know is, to what degree, if any would my planned iso booth work or would I be better off saving my time and money and doing my vocals in the wardrobe?:eek:
Well I don't believe you have enough room for a booth, 4'x4' is too small, but you could sort the weak links of the room. You say you have a brick wall and stud walls, with an UNglazed window and "normal" door. Well I'd recommend you glaze the window first :laughings: and what do you mean by normal door (heavy, light, solid core, hollow, ...)? These will probably be your weak links. The walls should be fine.

I suspect the wardrobe would be as good as a tiny booth, just install a heavy solid-core door and door seals, and make sure to remember that you need oxygen.

Well I don't believe you have enough room for a booth, 4'x4' is too small, but you could sort the weak links of the room. You say you have a brick wall and stud walls, with an UNglazed window and "normal" door. Well I'd recommend you glaze the window first :laughings: and what do you mean by normal door (heavy, light, solid core, hollow, ...)? These will probably be your weak links. The walls should be fine.

I suspect the wardrobe would be as good as a tiny booth, just install a heavy solid-core door and door seals, and make sure to remember that you need oxygen.
Ha ha, I meant single glazed window! Door is light & hollow. (Just realised I live in a hovel!)
Might try the wardrobe, worked for The Cure and Genesis.

Back