Need Studio Build Advice!

blueman21

Whats up Everyone!

So I have this staircase landing in my condo that I want to turn into a studio. The space is 10x5 and there isnt much room for anything besides the complete essentials for a solid studio. I have attached some pictures to help get the ideas. The way I would ideally want it to be set-up is with the computer and studio equipment at the back (like where it is in the picture, then have a pony wall between that are and than build another area from the pony wall to the stair case where the booth will be and sound treat all areas around the booth and computer section. In the pictures you'll be able to see that to the left od the staircase, once youre on the landing there is a door to the left that goes to an outdoor patio. Im not if that is exactly a benefit or a detriment yet.

I also would ideally like to have the whole area sound proofed or sound treated as possible so that I can contain all my noise to that area.

I would really appreciate any help possible or input as to how I should go about this, what materials to use, and if this is even possible. I think that this would be a really cool to get soem recording done if it is done right. PLease let me know and thank you in advance

IMG_5025.jpgIMG_5026.jpgIMG_5021.jpgIMG_5020.jpgIMG_5017.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5019.jpg
    IMG_5019.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 102
5x10 is too small in my opinion. Not good dimensions either. Pick another room in your condo.

What are your goals? What instruments are you wanting to record? How many performers at a time?

Are you wanting to mix too?

And welcome to home recording.

yes unfortunatley it's just too small, although the huge room down the stairs might help the sound and allow the music to breathe... but it's going to leak into that room even with soundproofing, there's not much you can do about that. I would start with deadening the side walls and ceiling as much as you can with rockwool panels in wooden frames + cotton, you could try making bass traps but you will end up in a ridiculously tiny space especially with floor to ceiling 2x4 traps.

Find another space. 'Essentials' in that space? Adding bass traps (4" thick minimum) in corners, behind you, in front of you, ceiling cloud, is just not going to work. And forget making it 'sound proof'. Forget making any room in your place 'sound proof'.

Maily my goal is to play ona drum mashine same my guitars that are all hanging on the wall and record vocals time to time. The top of the stairs loft leads out to patio/roofdeck so it shouldnt get stufffy..

I just want to isolate sound so i can hear the mix properly and with the 17 foot cathedral behind me its really reverby..

My familys bedrooms are downstairs so i would like to be able to avoid disturbing them..

Not looking to completley sound proof..
Just thiught i would build the framing hang a door and a window over the pony wall for better ventilation

Try it, but you'll be disappointed. Soundproofing takes mass and isolation - the sound will conduct thorugh the walls

For the amount you gain it'll be really labour intensive - needs must but I don't think it's a great solution.

The space is really too small for any serious acoustic treatment/proofing (you want to be able to fit a computer chair in there, right?)

It's one of the few situations where I'd probably say 'get some decent headphones' rather than putting lots of hours into treatment/proofing.

For what it's worth, and I know the last post was a week ago, but I went through this with a small room(roughly 8'x8'x6'high). After the proper treatment, and after moving everything back into the room, I could barely breathe in that space, and was always bumping into things, knocking things down, etc. I damaged a couple of cherished instruments in the process. I ripped all the treatment out and trashed it. Now I mix in headphones. Not anywhere near ideal, but it's what I have.
I'm toying with the idea of just one floor to ceiling bass trap in the one corner, and a bit of lighter treatment on a couple of the walls in front and to the sides of my mix area. Thinking that some treatment, even if it's not the ideal amount, might be better than no treatment at all. Have not made up my mind yet whether the return would be worth investing the trouble and expense.

Last edited:
Dont worry about it. Just set it up and go to work. Oranize your time so you can make noise when people are out.
Dont get all anal and try to treat the room and or soundproof.
Just go to work, have fun and make some music.
Mix on good monitors quietly and very close to them. Equator d5 monitors are very good for this. They are "direct field" not near field. Meaning they are designed for listening close. Youll get less of the room that way. Heaphones are a plus as well.
Over time with cross reference on different systems. you'll learn your room and your speakers.
One of my first home studios was in a 9x12 room with hardwood floors and 2 sliding glass patio doors going out to the deck. No curtains, no sound treatment. Nothing.
It took a few weeks, but I learned the room and how to mix at low volumes at 2am so I wouldn't wake up the Gf.
I got damn fine mixes too. I'd just play them in the car on the way to work the next day.
Don't get all anal. Just do it! Dont let the lack of the "perfect" room stop you from making music.

Back