Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Monitor Recommendation for Small Space

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Sorry, can you explain that last part Mike?

Asitappens...I am casting about for a single 100mm (4") bass/mid drive unit to make a decent centre speaker for a 5.1 system I have acquired. The "thing" that cam with it sounds horrendous! Two 75mm speakers in 1/2 a "shoebox" made of plastic (rated at 250W! Yeah, in a pig's...!)

Now, in my investigations I have come across units by Audax, SEAS, Peerless and others and many of these speakers are used in commercial speaker systems so there is a good chance the D5s use something fairly readily available. The other factor (and more likely to fail but not much) is the amplifier/PSU and that likely uses pretty common power ICs.

Dave.
    You're a rare old tinkerer, Dave! We live in a 'use it once, throw it away' society. The cost to repair anything starts at $100/hour tech fee.

Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Morons blow up spkrs all the time.
    Not so much these days with powered speakers. The old days of hooking up a 50 watt speaker to a 200 watt tube amp ("don't turn it higher than 4!") are slowly receding.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Arf! Arf! Mike, a 200 watt stereo valve amp would be a thing to behold. And LIFT!

The 5.1. system? Panasonic SA-HT855. Specc says it is an 850W system yet draws just 120W from the mains! No matter. I have it setup behind my 42" JVC smart TV with the 1.3mtr outrigger side speakers (project for 2019!) and a sub I made years ago. Adds quite a bit of "heft" and quality to programmes but I want a better centre dialogue speaker. The unit is fed from the optical link from the telly and I was surprised to find my 3 HDMI linked recorders also play through the optical out. Thought I would have to get into some clever patching and routing!

Picked the whole lot up from a charity shop for 35. One problem? I cannot get the Component video to the TV (on a 4 pole 3.5mm jack to RCAs adaptor) to work. Any clever video bods about?

Dave.

Thanks
    For that analog video out, check the source. It might only play from certain sources, as it might be blocked by DRM...
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    For that analog video out, check the source. It might only play from certain sources, as it might be blocked by DRM...
    Wilco, I shall try home garden DVD, but then I do not even get OSD? have to say, not delved deeply, seems it might be down to resolution. Will have a do over the weekend.

Thanks C.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Arf! Arf! Mike, a 200 watt stereo valve amp would be a thing to behold. And LIFT!
    I was referring to old live gig equipment, not home stereo. Amazing what even a 75 watt valve head (an old Bogen PA) can do to cheap Allied/Radio Shack speakers when they're wired in parallel. Luckily replacements back then were $30 each.
    Our PA system was the Bogen head, and two old Fender cabinets - one had been in a fire, and someone had spraypainted the wood black (Tolex all burnt off of course) and replaced the grill cloth with a black one - still had the Fender logo emblem on it! It was a Bassman size, and the other was a Showman size, both with the cheap 15" speakers.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    In direct response to the original post.....

Kali audio has some affordable (299 pair) monitors

Saw them on produce like a pro. Warren Huart seems to like them.

I guess it's a company started by former jbl employees.

Worth investegating at least.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Good to know, thank you!
    Maybe I'm better off on my nice open back cans for now since the room will be a problem.
    I don't plan to do tens of thousands of dollars in room treatment since it's just a hobby. This kind of sucks because I was hoping when I got out of an apartment and into a house I'd be able to build a music room. Unfortunately homes where I live are just so much.

Thanks Jimmy and others for the responses, too.
    You definitely will have have to do some room treatment . And you don't have to spend more than a few hundred to get that room size under control. I basically have the same size room and spent 350 dollars to get where i wanted. I'm not a typical DIY'er but it wasn't hard .Built 6- 4'x2' x4inch deep traps, stuffed with rock wool and went purchase yards of material at Jo Anns fabrics. stretched the fabric tight around the frame ,stapled and it looks as good as artwork hanging on the walls. I use Presonus Sceptre 8's and couldn't be happier.

Thread Information