Keyboards in Studios

BenignVanilla

I am in the process of making my home "studio" more studio-ish so I've been paying a lot of attention to threads on this topic.

One thing that I have noticed is that everyone seems to have a keyboard on their desk. I don't meant QERTY, I mean like MIDI/Piano. I am guessing everyone is not using this for keyboard/piano parts.

Why is a keyboard apparently a de facto part of every studio? What are you guys using it for and how often are you using it that you have it right in front of you at the DAW?

well for one thing it gives you immediate access to X octaves of notes that can be used for anything..

Midi controllers

^^^This^^^

I don't have a keyboard on my desk, but I have a couple. I often use them by themselves just to write or sketch ideas, but in the final production process I use them as MIDI controllers for various patches that are either in the keyboard or in virtual synths on my computer.

In my opinion,...
A studio is NOT a studio...without a synth!:D

Attachments

• 100_0692.jpg
    100_0692.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 122
if you literally dont play keybaord at all, then you dont need it. i find it to be the quickest and easiest way to find a note (i cant name notes by ear) so i use it for that a lot, but i also play a bit of keys so it just makes sense to have it there.

if youre never going to use it, then put it where its convenient for your customers to play it.

Adam

If you're not a keyboard player you don't need one. I am, so I need one.

But even if you aren't a keyboard player the amount of MIDI controllers you end up with for a few hundred bucks make a keyboard useful for anybody.

My keyboard, as well as having 61 note, has 9 faders and 12 knobs that can be assigned to anything, and I use them all the time.

But no, you don't need one and many good keyboard players won't want to use whatever kind you could buy, they'll often want to bring their own. No matter what keyboard you bought I'd bring mine 'cause it's been modified and set up for my rig.

I am fairly useless at piano/ keyboard. After a few months of a little practice here and there I could tap out a few simple songs like drops of jupiter and holiday in spain. That said, I don't really use mine all that much for playing piano/ keyboard.

I do use it to figure out chords and progressions... I mean come on... all the notes are in a row, its almost too easy. I also use it to add strings, organs, synths or whatever else you can think of to my tracks.

My MIDI controller also has 8 drum pads on it, which is really nice when you need to tap out a basic beat. Im not a drummer so I usually tap out the snare, toms and kick first, and then overdub the hi-hat/ cymbals. It literally takes seconds to create a custom drum loop to keep you in time while you track guitars.

Back