An interesting schematic

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
Also titled "What I did tonight (this morning)."

I picked up a 32 channel console for my studio about a week ago. It's analog, so there's no automation--which means I'll still be mixing in the box. But this console has really sweet preamps: super clean, super quiet, with tons of headroom. Also the EQ is very clean & quiet as well (though I almost never use EQ on the way in). So think of it as nothing more than a 32 channel preamp.

As crazy as it sounds, this works for me. I'm already set up for 32 channels. I have a 32 channel interface with 32 channels of conversion. The problem is that my 32 channels are scattered all throughout my racks. (Here's my studio--you can see what I mean: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...let-me-see-your-studio-70931/315/#post3709488). And most of those 32 channels of pres aren't exactly top flight. So even though I have 32 channels of throughput, I'm still patching and repatching, connecting and disconnecting, in order to use my preferred preamps.

Well this console's pres sound better than 30 of my 32 preamps--and just as good as the other two. So now I'll be able to patch everything in to it's own dedicated channel, build a Cubase template to match--and just play and record (instead of plug and unplug for an hour). Drums, vox, keys, guitars--everything will be patched in and ready to go. I'm waiting on some cables to do so (the tape outs on the console are RCA to TS--and I didn't have 32 of those!), so while I wait I thought I'd plan all the connections out and build a map in my head. I'm looking to add some help in my studio, and this map (along with its notes) will help him as well.

Once I started mapping it out, I couldn't stop. It kept me up all night. But I think I've got it all figured out!

Here's a link to the PDF--if anyone wants to come over and help me tear down the old setup and hook it all up again next week, I'll provide the beer and pizza!

http://www.spottedmuse.com/files/new_map2.pdf

Once I started mapping it out, I couldn't stop.

I know the feeling. My setup was so convoluted and complex, there was no way a 2d diagram could show all the different cables. In order to connect everything correctly the FIRST time, I needed to see every single cable. And patch bays were ridiculous to map out in 2d. So I decided to lay my system out in full scale, 3d. Worked perfect. Now I can simply zoom in on any particular piece of gear and see EXACTLY what goes where. Trouble is though, in 3d, by the time the whole system was mapped, it was impossible to see it as a whole and still see where the cables went. Now I have various "scenes" that allow me to pull up just the system I want to see. Works great. With Midi, timecode, FX, computer, amps, multitracks, mics, speakers, monitors...geezus, I must have a gazillion cables. Way too much to remember what goes where. With a 32 channel mixer, 2 16trk R2R, 3 2trk machines, that's over 100 cables just to connect the mixer to the recorders...not including the patchbays.

Attachments

• is.php?i=1753&img=Studio_Wiring_D.jpg
    is.php?i=1753&img=Studio_Wiring_D.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Computers.jpg
    Computers.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Maudio 1010lt Breakout Box.jpg
    Maudio 1010lt Breakout Box.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Studio Wiring Diagram Over All.jpg
    Studio Wiring Diagram Over All.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 72
Neat WhiteStrat Good documentation.
At least you'll have a map for future referance.

I know the feeling. My setup was so convoluted and complex, there was no way a 2d diagram could show all the different cables. In order to connect everything correctly the FIRST time, I needed to see every single cable. And patch bays were ridiculous to map out in 2d. So I decided to lay my system out in full scale, 3d. Worked perfect. Now I can simply zoom in on any particular piece of gear and see EXACTLY what goes where. Trouble is though, in 3d, by the time the whole system was mapped, it was impossible to see it as a whole and still see where the cables went. Now I have various "scenes" that allow me to pull up just the system I want to see. Works great. With Midi, timecode, FX, computer, amps, multitracks, mics, speakers, monitors...geezus, I must have a gazillion cables. Way too much to remember what goes where. With a 32 channel mixer, 2 16trk R2R, 3 2trk machines, that's over 100 cables just to connect the mixer to the recorders...not including the patchbays.

Very cool! I didn't map out my connections, but when I first built my studio a couple years ago, I built the whole room in 3D much like what you've done here. So I completely understand the need the see it first.

Neat WhiteStrat Good documentation.
At least you'll have a map for future referance.

Exactly--figuring it all out is only half the issue. The other half (and the ongoing half) is having a map. Last time I did a set up this complex, I mapped it out in my head. While it did all work just fine, I always regretted the lack of a paper/digital map. In the end, I ended up rerouting tons of stuff, because I'd lose track of where inserts were, which outboard pre was patched where, etc...

Which TASCAM console is it...?

M-2600--the 32 channel version. It's all analog--no digital. So no automation. In other words, I'll still do all the mixing in the box, and this big old board will just be a central input point. 32 channel strips if you will. (Of course it's the post fader direct outs on each channel that make it possible.)

And while most folks have moved away from that, it appeals to me. My studio is already 32 channels--so I've got 32 channels of conversion and a 32 channel interface. I like that. What I don't like is having 32 outboard preamps. Especially considering none of them are holy grail pres. All the rack gear in my desk may look impressive, but it's too complicated. The workflow is very disjointed--vocal mics going this way, drums in this rack, guitar amps over here--and on, and on.

I'm looking forward to simplifying things with one input source--32 in, 32 out, and all laid out the same.

And I've tracked with it already--it's super quiet, almost neutral (maybe just a tad forward on the mids--which I like) and the EQ is equally quiet and usable. I've never used EQ on the way in, and I probably still won't--but it's nice to know it's there.

In fact I can say that after having auditioned the board on numerous sources and with numerous mics, I'll only be keeping a few of my hoard of outboard pres: a cheap tube amp with variable impedance for flavor, and a couple Neve clones that I think I'll always like. Other than that, this board will handle everything I throw at it as well or better than my old stuff.

Last edited:
... it's the post fader direct outs on each channel that make it possible...

Yeah...that's why I asked, 'cuz on your PDF it says "Tape Outs" and I'm thinking it's really Direct Outs.

I have an M-3500 TASCAM....so you're not alone. :)
On mine, there are "Tape In" for the tape output returns, and there are separate Direct Outs.

I don't really use my 3500 like you are intending, as "channel strips". Not to sound snooty or anything, but luckily I have a few decent outboard pres, so I usually just go direct from the pres to my tape deck or to the DAW.
During tracking to tape, I use the console more for monitoring and creating my "pre-mix" as I track....that way when I get to the DAW, I already have a good idea of how I want things to go.

What I do use the 3500 more for is actually mixdowns...and really, you could do the same if you have that many channels of D/A conversion. :cool:
If I track to tape, I dump into the DAW, do my edits, comps and "spot processing"...and then I just run 24 channels of D/A out to the 3500, and mix OTB with the board. That lets me use outboard processing, of which I also have a decent amount...though like I said, I can still use the DAW for any processing and/or level adjustment too...so in reality, I get all my levels pretty much set in the DAW, and that takes the place of "automation". When I mix out the console...I just set the overall channel levels, but rarely am I working the faders during the mixdown...instead I just sit back an listen to the mix. Sometimes if I need to adjust something a little more, I can either go to the DAW track or use the console channel.

Anyway...good luck!
I think you will enjoy having a conosle to play with...and I bet you'll find a few ways to incoporate it into your SOP, and maybe even do some OTB mixes through it, with the DAW just being your "playback deck". I love using the hybrid analog/digital approach....lots of fun.

Now you have come and hang in the Analog Only forum! :drunk:

Yeah...that's why I asked, 'cuz on your PDF it says "Tape Outs" and I'm thinking it's really Direct Outs.

I have an M-3500 TASCAM....so you're not alone. :)
On mine, there are "Tape In" for the tape output returns, and there are separate Direct Outs.

I don't really use my 3500 like you are intending, as "channel strips". Not to sound snooty or anything, but luckily I have a few decent outboard pres, so I usually just go direct from the pres to my tape deck or to the DAW.
During tracking to tape, I use the console more for monitoring and creating my "pre-mix" as I track....that way when I get to the DAW, I already have a good idea of how I want things to go.

What I do use the 3500 more for is actually mixdowns...and really, you could do the same if you have that many channels of D/A conversion. :cool:
If I track to tape, I dump into the DAW, do my edits, comps and "spot processing"...and then I just run 24 channels of D/A out to the 3500, and mix OTB with the board. That lets me use outboard processing, of which I also have a decent amount...though like I said, I can still use the DAW for any processing and/or level adjustment too...so in reality, I get all my levels pretty much set in the DAW, and that takes the place of "automation". When I mix out the console...I just set the overall channel levels, but rarely am I working the faders during the mixdown...instead I just sit back an listen to the mix. Sometimes if I need to adjust something a little more, I can either go to the DAW track or use the console channel.

Anyway...good luck!
I think you will enjoy having a conosle to play with...and I bet you'll find a few ways to incoporate it into your SOP, and maybe even do some OTB mixes through it, with the DAW just being your "playback deck". I love using the hybrid analog/digital approach....lots of fun.

Now you have come and hang in the Analog Only forum! :drunk:

Cool...that gives me some ideas of how to use this board--thanks for the heads up!

Back