I would like to start my own home and or bedroom walk in closet studio

R&B-N-JAZZ_LADY

"Music is My Passion"
Hi,
I am a newbie and singing is my passion. Before I go and spend money on anything, I would like to know whether or not am I on the right path in getting started; my budget is $500-$600.

Microphone: Shure SM57 or SM58?
Headphone: ?
Sound card: M-Audio Firewire 410 W/ external sound card
Software: Reason 4 or ?
Microphone POP Filter with Stand Clamp: Sony or Nady ?
Acoustic solution: Auralex expander or SE Electronics Reflexion Filter (Surf Serf filter)

Suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank-you! :)

Looks like your off to a good start. Can you give some more specifics though, like what exactly do you plan on recording? Are you making beats then recording vocals over them? Or live instruments.

Drew

More info always helps.

I would recommend looking into Reaper, a very powerful recording program that is available as a free non-crippling demo that doesn't expire. You decide to keep it...$60....it's good and there are a lot of cats on here using it.
The money you save on this purchase can be put toward better quality mics or converters or what ever you choose.

Check out the microphone forum for a pretty good list of cheap mics that are recommended for recording vox.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like your off to a good start. Can you give some more specifics though, like what exactly do you plan on recording? Are you making beats then recording vocals over them? Or live instruments.

Drew
I plan to make my own lyric of songs in R&B or Jazz like styles. Also, I am making beats with reason 4 (or whatever that I can afford) and record vocals over it.

More info always helps.

I would recommend looking into Reaper, a very powerful recording program that is available as a free non-crippling demo that doesn't expire. You decide to keep it...$60....it's good and there are a lot of cats on here using it.
The money you save on this purchase can be put toward better quality mics or converters or what ever you choose.

Check out the microphone forum for a pretty good list of cheap mics that are recommended for recording vox.

Welcome to the forum.
I will check out microphone forum and look into Reaper. Thanks! :-)

A "bedroom walk-in closet studio"...?

I hope it's a really big closet. :)

Well, I hope so too because it the only place that I have in mind; I have my clothes on one side and hubby's on the other. I am planning to buy a put together closet from Wal-mart for the clothes.

Last edited:
Thanks, everybody for responding. I did a little researching before deciding to make a home (or walk-in closet) studio and I wanted to see if I was on the right path. Meanwhile, I have a lot to learn about mixing (vocal with instrumental beats) but I am an easy learner with a computer. Again, thank-you! :-)

Last edited:
Hey JAZZ_LADY,

I am in the same position as you are. Acquiring stuff as we speak and loving it!

Take a look at the Studio Projects B1 condenser mic. Very good value for the price. You can pick one up for around $100 or so and it includes the shock mount and a case.

Good luck. :)

Why do you need to have it in the closet...why not some other area of the home?

Closets dont make the best studios. More open space is better.

Why do you need to have it in the closet...why not some other area of the home?

Closets dont make the best studios. More open space is better.

Well, I did research as well as read some folks saying that it was best to walk through your home (or apartment in my case) and clap your hands together to find the difference in sounds or echos such as reading a passage from a book. Also, I have read that sound proofing a specific area would make the recordings sound better. I have notice a big difference of my walk-in closet and the rest of the rooms in my apartment. What is your suggestion or thoughts concerning a best place? Meaning in a bedroom, living room-Why? I am curious to know.

Last edited:
Hey JAZZ_LADY,

I am in the same position as you are. Acquiring stuff as we speak and loving it!

Take a look at the Studio Projects B1 condenser mic. Very good value for the price. You can pick one up for around $100 or so and it includes the shock mount and a case.

Good luck. :)
I will check into it. I have read so many thoughts concerning microphones, so I came to a conclusion that it will be best to get one dynamic and condenser microphone. Hopefully, it will do until I can do better. Thank-you! ;-)

Last edited:
Well, I did research as well as read some folks saying that it was best to walk through your home (or apartment in my case) and clap your hands together to find the difference in sounds or echos such as reading a passage from a book. Also, I have read that sound proofing a specific area would make the recordings sound better. I have notice a big difference of my walk-in closet and the rest of the rooms in my apartment. What is your suggestion or thoughts concerning a best place? Meaning in a bedroom, living room-Why? I am curious to know.
OK, either you've been reading the wrong articles, or you've mis-understood what you've read.

A few people are hinting at it, but don't seem to want to be rude.

So, I'll be rude: A closet is the WORST PLACE to set up a studio. Period. Clapping your hands doesn't tell you anything. Of course a closet with clothes in it will sound "deader" than an open living room, but that doesn't mean anything. "Dead" isn't what you want from a "studio". In the case of a closet, yes it's "dead" but the only reason for that is because all your high end has been choked, but the bass frequencies are still causing havoc.

A bigger room is always better than a smaller room (all other things being equal). Forget about the word "sound-proofing". What you need to read up on is "Room treatment"....not the same thing.

But, stay out of the closet.

About the only thing I would suggest using a closet for is as an "iso box" if you want to play a guitar amp REALLY loud, and you have *concerns* about neighbors, or you are going for a really DEAD sound, and you're going to add FX later or reamp, (but I don't want to take you too far off on a tangent, you'll be able to consider those things later on as you get deeper into recording).....otherwise, if the noise/neighbors are not an issue, I would record even a loud amp in a more open space.

Yes...your other rooms may sound echo-y, and yes, you may need to do a little acoustic adjustment to take out the most rude stuff...but a room with a little life in it usually records best for the majority of instruments and vocals.
Iso booths and iso boxes are only for specific purposes and best reserved for occasional needs and for when you really know what you are doing...otherwise you will end up with dead, lifeless recordings.

Back