I would like to start my own home and or bedroom walk in closet studio

"RAMI & miroslav"
Thanks, for being honest. Also,this is not the case of being rude because I do not need to waste money and time on something that does not work. If I get the SE Electronics Reflexion Filter, will it do the job for clear and smooth vocal or would I need to purchase it along with room treatment. I wonder will hubby help me purchase both... :-( What is the difference in room treatment and sound-proofing?

Last edited:
oops, I made a mistake and post the same message twice...
Meanwhile, this is what I looked up and found @ http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul00/articles/faqacoustic.htm

The term 'soundproofing' is rather misleading, because in most real-world situations, you can cut down on leakage but you can't get rid of it altogether. Sound isolation is a more accurate term.

The simplest way to attenuate sound is to put a solid wall in its way -- the more solid, the better the isolation you'll get. As a rule, if you double the mass of a wall, you halve the amount of sound transmitted through it. Unfortunately, sound isolation tends to fall with frequency, so even though you may be able to get the mids and highs under control, the chances are that you'll still be able to hear the bass drum and bass guitar thumping away from outside. That's why when you walk past a club, all you can hear from outside is bass.

To give you some examples of what to expect, a single brick wall might have a quoted Sound Reduction Index (SRI) of 45dB (this is averaged over a range of frequencies, so the bass-end isolation will be rather worse than this figure) while a domestic panel door might only give you around 10dB of isolation. Because the degree of sound isolation depends largely on mass, lightweight solutions such as partition walls work noticeably less well than solid brick or concrete. However, there's another useful fact we can utilise -- two walls are always better than one.

Last edited:
The simplest way to attenuate sound is to put a solid wall in its way -- the more solid, the better the isolation you'll get. As a rule, if you double the mass of a wall, you halve the amount of sound transmitted through it. Unfortunately, sound isolation tends to fall with frequency, so even though you may be able to get the mids and highs under control, the chances are that you'll still be able to hear the bass drum and bass guitar thumping away from outside. That's why when you walk past a club, all you can hear from outside is bass.

To give you some examples of what to expect, a single brick wall might have a quoted Sound Reduction Index (SRI) of 45dB (this is averaged over a range of frequencies, so the bass-end isolation will be rather worse than this figure) while a domestic panel door might only give you around 10dB of isolation. Because the degree of sound isolation depends largely on mass, lightweight solutions such as partition walls work noticeably less well than solid brick or concrete. However, there's another useful fact we can utilise -- two walls are always better than one.

Indeed. Unless you have very close, crotchety neighbors though, you should be more focused on sound treatment. I.e, using absorption panels (NOT FOAM!), to absorb the reflections bouncing around, and thus, tame the response of your room and make it sound hellaz good :)

Drew

Drew- I really appreciate your suggestion. Thank-you, for the idea. I will get the absorption panels. :-)

If you're on a tight budget, you can make your own quite easily. You'll need some 1"x4" lumber, some Johns Manville Insul-Shield 300 or equivalent compressed Fiberglas boards, and some "breathable" fabric to cover them.

+1 for diggy_dude. Make a frame, fill it with some sort of rigid fiberglass material (or similar substitute with a 3pcf density), cover it in fabric. Done :)

Drew

If you're on a tight budget, you can make your own quite easily. You'll need some 1"x4" lumber, some Johns Manville Insul-Shield 300 or equivalent compressed Fiberglas boards, and some "breathable" fabric to cover them.

I wouldn't even know how to begin with this kind of project. Can you be more specific in details to how install and prepare it with lumber. I am curious to know how this supposedly work and if so, how do one prepare it?

I wouldn't even know how to begin with this kind of project. Can you be more specific in details to how install and prepare it with lumber. I am curious to know how this supposedly work and if so, how do one prepare it?

The Fiberglas comes in 2 ft. by 4 ft. sheets and are 4 inches thick. You simply cut the boards to make a frame to fit around each sheet, then cover them with fabric to keep Fiberglas particles out of the air. It can be any kind of fabric that you can blow air through. Very dense fabric that blocks air will reflect sound waves instead of letting them pass through to the Fiberglas absorber.

Oh, one more question-- How much lumber and fiberglass do I need to buy? Also, how many of these panels do I need to make? I am glassing four through six...

How many panels depends on the size of your room. You don't want to completely cover the walls or the room will be too dead. You'll need enough lumber to make a frame for all the panels. The parts for each frame would theoretically be two boards 24 inches long and another two boards 50 inches long, but you should measure everything before you start cutting because this stuff is seldom exactly the specified size.

Hi and welcome to the board. Ok, I didn't have time to read your entire thread, but if you need a closet to get a dry recording without room interference, this just may well be a temp/cheap solution.

is.php

:D

Let me know if you want a link.
fitZ:)

Wow, Rick!
Haven't thought about this... It may be my solution because I am on a tight budget and only have $600 to spend. I can surely make my own-- nothing fancy and it will be only for me. :-) Therefore, the only thing I really want to do is make my own music (writing lyrics and making instrumental) using the software. I am tired of singing karaoke and want to hear what I sound like professionally (or almost). Anyway, here is what I sound like through a regular computer using a cheap non-filtering microphone.

Links:
"I look to You"
SingSnap | I Look To You by sharelle78

"Run to You"
SingSnap | Run To You - "The Bodyguard" by sharelle78

"Strange Fruit"
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bface6856

"God Bless The Child"
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/c5a852a56

"I'm Still In Love With You"
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/c17a84afe

"Love On A Two-Way Street"
http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/b5b79d820

I know that this is karaoke and it can be done better, but this is all I have for now...

Please, don't be cruel you guys... Remember this is karaoke etc. :-(

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention.
When you see my page just click the play button on the screen where my photo is shown. LOL. ;-)

Back