helllp!!

fivestarpacheco

hi you guys i have posted a post about my vocal booth already. I got my feedback. below there will be pictures of the room and my booth as well.
now to start off, from what everyone is telling me, it is better to treat my room. So before i make another stupid decision like i did my closet and waste my money. how can i treat my room for vocals (r&B and Hip hop). the room is 11 ft Long x 9 ft Wide. Also i have a Bunch of Auralex foam that i will be taking out of the closet if that will be needed to treat the room let me know (approx 50 pieces of foam all about a square foot, including 6 bass traps as shown in the corners of the wall inside the closet booth). now my budget is 500 dollars i am willing to spend a little more then that if it will be worth it. Unfortunately i do not have carpet on my floor it is tiled with granite. it is not my house so i cant permanently put carpet there so if there is any other way to still make this room good to sing vocals in let me know. here are the pictures thanks for all of your help.

MY WORK STATION

2gt99c3.jpg

THE VOCAL BOOTH =[

90y4v5.jpg

THE SPACE I CAN WORK WITH WELL THERE IS SOME MORE SPACE BEHIND ME BUT YOU GUYS KNOW THE MEASUREMENTS OF THE ROOM SO IT DOESNT MATTER.

2jb4apj.jpg

Sell all that Auralex to someone that doesn't know any better. It wont help you. You'll get a LOT more mileage out of rigid fiberglass or rockwool. Look for Ethan's article on setting up a room. Corner bass traps and reflection point absorption seem to be the first order of business typically. If you needed to, you could build a gobo to set your mic up in front of. He has some YouTube videos too that explain thinks pretty well. $500 will get you a nice start.

ok do you thinks you could supply me some links because i dont want to be looking at the wrong thing and not knowing it.
sorry for being a pain in the ass.

anyone else have suggestions????
o and i know granite is much nicer but, dont you need carpet?

You also might think about repositioning your monitors. :) You're lookin for kind of a triangle with your ears being in the center and your tweeters being at ear level. You want the woofers aiming below your ears. Maybe start with em at about 4 ft apart and go from there.

Also maybe an acoustic cloud above your mixing station when ya get done with the.......

BASS TRAPS (these are your friends ;)) in the corners. :D

luck mang. :)

o and i know granite is much nicer but, dont you need carpet?
No you don't. Granite is much nicer acoustically too. Carpet only absorbs high frequencies. You are better off with a reflective floor and absorptive ceiling, with the ceiling absorption being much thicker than carpet (at the very least 2").

wow i watched the videos and read the articles they are very helpful thanks alot!. the only problem is my budget is 500. can i make these traps and diffusers my self.
what is a cloud how is it made.
and where should i place the traps and diffusers in my room if i happen to make them myself
also should i use the foam and the foam base traps in my room along with the traps and diffusers i would make myself?

foam basstrap is a bit of an oxymoron. foam is ok for absorbing mids and highs, but thats isn't the problem. You can most definately make this stuff yourself. You'll need to find an insulation supplier in your area to buy the right stuff. Most people use Owens Corning OC703 which is a compressed rigid fiberglass panel. I just picked up a box of 6 4"x24"x48" pieces for about $150 from a local framing and insulation supplier. You can make frames from 1x4 or 1x6 boards and wrap them with muslin or some other "acoustically transparent" fabric. $500 is plenty to get you started. Plus, you could sell that Auralex and recoup a few bucks. There's lots of diy threads around here.

now is it a must to tear down the ceiling fill it with with fiberglass insulation and double the drywall and all that?

Don't confuse treating for acoustics with treating for sound separation (i.e. "soundproofing). Filling your ceiling with insulation and covering with doubled layers of drywall will serve to stop the transmission of sound from your space to whatever space is on the other side of your ceiling. That will likely do nothing to make the acoustics inside your room any better.

Yes, you can definitely make them yourself. A good DIY 4" broad band panel will usually cost you about $35 or so not counting your time. Corner-filling (superchunk) and 6" traps are more like $50 each plus time. There are a million posts, videos, etc. on the web that'll show you exactly how to do it. Google "DIY bass trap".

There you go. Don't ever say I never gave you nothin'. :)

Frank

Back