DIY Desks - continued

CDierks

Hello people,

I am relatively new to this forum, but I´ve read the "desks" thread and I am just now starting to build one with the help of a professional. From the plans, it´s going to be great. :-)

I was just wondering if you guys would be interested in seeing the work in progress, i.e. I could upload some pictures and plans as we go along?

I have read some really helpful things in this forum and would like so give something back - on the other hand, I don´t want to annoy anyone with an "ooh... yet ANOTHER picture of this guys stupid desk"... so how about it?

Of course we want to see it. If you could upload the plans as well, it would be great.

Absolutly. Post 'em. I built mine and I'm already thinking about rebuilding it again (to build in some of the refinments I've been thinking about). I'm always interested in this kinda stuff.:D

A resounding yes! In fact I think the studio construction site or this board should have a "Plans / schematics" section for DIY projects that people can can ideas from.

Kevin.

...cool.

I will upload some basic plans maybe tomorrow...

@ TrackRat
I sew your desk - it´s cool... what are you thinking of putting in?

I have already come up with some modifications to mine...........ain't life a bitch, lol.
Guess that's the fun part of this whole thing though......learning from our experiences.

ChrisO :cool:

I want to build the equipment racks into hinged sofits in the walls and put some storage (drawers) in the legs. Also, I want to lower it a bit. It sits a little too high.

Here are two pics (rather large, I´m afraid) of the first plans, so you get an idea.
Note that a) the measurements are all in cm and mm, so you will have to divide by 2.54 to get inches, if I am not mistaken and b) that the measurements are not totally accurate.

We are not sure about the legs and feet yet, so they are not on the plans.

Christopher

Attachments

• consolesideview.jpg
    consolesideview.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 515
That's VERY simaler to my set up except on either side of the mixer is 19" equipment bays and the computer keyboard/mouse is on a pullout under the portion where the mixer sits.

@ TrackRat

I know.... Maybe you could share your experiences with that specific setup...for example, do you wish you had done something differently etc..

As far as my plans go, I did not want to go for the pullout option, since I wanted the top of the armrest to be at "normal" desk height (75 cm) and then the keybord would have been too low - leg/space problems.
The only option to work around this would be to have the keyboard slide into the armrest and I felt this was too complicated. :-)
If I need to do a lot of typing, I can always just put the keyboard on the armrest in center position.

Another thing I wanted to have was "clean" space for scores etc, so that explains the "empty" zone above where the keyboard will be...

Most of my outboard gear will still be in racks behind me, but I wanted som stuff closer to, like a Lexicon Unit etc...

any other thoughts?

Christopher

I know what you mean about the pullout but I wanted the patchbays to be in the equipment bay to my left. Also putting them on hinges, while a little tricky to engineer, made wireing and maintenence a hell of a lot easier.

Man, I love that hinge approach! May I plageurize it? Although I will sorely miss crawling behind my board and holding a flashlight in my teeth while I wrestle with a jungle of wires!

Track Rat,

Nice patchbay...

Excuse me for asking, but what monitors are those on top of your monitor shelf? It looks a lot like a pair of Bose Interaudio speakers that I have on my stereo.

Velvet Elvis

Yorkville YSM-1s and a pair of Bose. I use the YSM-1s for the most part and reference to the Bose. Also a pair of Paradigm mini mkIIs.

Sorry TR, I already used your "hinged" p/bay idea :D .
But at the time I posted the pics in the other thread I had only just fitted the console, etc. I am now seriously thinking of replacing the overhead rack unit with a plain shelf to allow my near fields to be placed lower and to give better "line of sight" viewing over the top of things.

ChrisO :D

One more pic... kind of a 3 D view, although the dimensions are all screwed up. But I think one gets a better idea from this view.

Christopher

Attachments

• console3.jpg
    console3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 373
Ausrock, that's one of the reasons I'm changing the racks under mine; to get a better median plain on the nearfields (to get the tweeters at eye/ear height from a seated position. Now they're just a little too high, like me:cool: ). Also the top shelf where my nearfields and computer monitor sets on is hinged to access the internal wire harness for maintenence/ upgrades.
CD, the more I see of your design it's close to identical to mine, which so far (except for the refinments I want to make) is working really well for me.

That design looks pretty nice...

One question I would have is the wire hole in the center of the top shelf. I'd hate to have my near-field speaker wires all running along the top of the console just to go down a hole in the center... is that what that is for? Would it make more sense to put two holes (one behind each monitor location?)

Just asking...

Velvet Elvis

Back