Beyer DT100 16 ohm OR 400 ohm?

Andy O'Connor

Pretty new to this site so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong forum!
I am going to purchase a set of Beyer DT100's for mixing purposes (home studio and college work), and wanted to know if I should go for the 16 or 400 ohm version? I will be running them through Focusrite scarlett 8i6.

Any feedback would be nice!

Well as always the more ohm you have the more power you will need to drive your headphones(you may have to get decent headphone amp), but they will give you cleaner sound. Frequency responses may also differ.

...but what I have heard about the DT100's is that they sound pretty awful. :D

I had a look on the Focusrite site but can't find a spec on the acceptable range for headphone impedance. However, 16 ohm is lower than standard and not many bits of gear can drive them properly.

Even as a long term DT100 user (my employer used to hand them out) I have to agree with Seidy. You could buy far better sounding (and more sensitive) headphones for that sort of money.

Hi there,

I'll agree with what has been said.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD280s and love them.

A pair of Beyers came into my possession a while back and I almost immediately sold them on.

From every point of view, comfort, fatigue, the sound, the Sennheisers were just so much more appealing to me.

The Beyers I had were high impedance; Some lad bought them to use with a valve headphone amp. Old school kind of fella.

The DT's are pretty industry standard with a wide frequency range. They are not designed to enhance the sound of audio and you can get a very accurate flat frequency response from them in my opinion. I did end up buying the 16 ohm version and these babies are virtually indestructible! I find the DT's to be very comforting to my ears both sound wise and for physical wear. That is just my two cents.

Back