acoustic panels

polarity

When building acoustic panels I've seen lots of ways to do it listed on various sites, but most pretty much agree that you're looking at about 4" of whatever type of material you use (roxul or the more rigid board of fiberglass)

Is 4" the size everyone should use or is thinner/thicker ok?

I'd use at least 4" in upright and horizontal high-side corners (where low end tends to build up more) & short walls (front and rear walls) and use the thinner stuff for first reflection points on long walls -- And that just because of how much they invade the space. If that's not a concern, 4" on the long walls certainly isn't going to hurt.

Bigger is always better, but too much can cause problems. For first reflections, I like the larger panels because they will also improve the overall decay of the room.

Bigger is always better, but too much can cause problems. For first reflections, I like the larger panels because they will also improve the overall decay of the room.

Just pointing out you answered a 9 month old thread, please check the date of the last post. :) Welcome to the forum.

Alan.

basotect foam is the best quality price material for me regarding the absorption

This will of course depend on where you're located (Basotect isn't available in the US, for instance) and also how low of absorption you need. Basotect does not absorb frequencies under 200 Hz very well at all, so you'd want to use mineral wools or fiberglass for that low of frequencies.

Back