Is this neopolitan chord for Ab major correct?

Ab-C-Eb Unless they do something different in Naples.

Now, if you're playing an instrument that is not tuned to C, you'll have to transpose the notes of the chord. Ex: Bb Trumpet would play Bb-D-F

Okay. What's a neopolitan chord?

It's a misspelling of a Neapolitan chord. ;)

As for a Neapolitan chord, you got me-- this was the first time I'd ever heard the term! And after reading about it on Wikipedia and MusicTheory.net I still don't understand it! :confused:

It's a misspelling of a Neapolitan chord. ;)

As for a Neapolitan chord, you got me-- this was the first time I'd ever heard the term! And after reading about it on Wikipedia and MusicTheory.net I still don't understand it! :confused:

Seems like it's a major chord built on the lowered 2nd note of the scale.
So in Cmajor, the neapolitan is Dd F Ab. The examples give are first inversion because, apparently, that's a common usage.

There's talk of it being used as a substitute for IV or II before a perfect cadence.
I don't know...Sounds balls to me. :p

According to this page, "a Bbb major chord is the Neapolitan of Ab Major," or "Bbb-Db-Fb." I guess they use the Bbb and Fb notations in case they aren't the same as A and E in the particular tuning system being used.

Yeah. Bb is the second note of the Ab major scale, and since the neapolitan is built around a lowered second, the Bb becomes Bbb.
It doesn't matter that it's enharmonically the same as A natural or whatever. The importance is on where it was derived from.

Seems like it's a major chord built on the lowered 2nd note of the scale.
So in Cmajor, the neapolitan is Dd F Ab. The examples give are first inversion because, apparently, that's a common usage.

There's talk of it being used as a substitute for IV or II before a perfect cadence.
I don't know...Sounds balls to me. :p

Irrespective of its derivation, it seems that a neapolitan chord (which I had never head of) is, in the end, a normal major chord a semitone above the tonic. So, in your example, the neapolitan chord for Cmajor is Db major.

Okay, a flatted second major chord. :rolleyes: So they do, do things differently in Naples. :)

So back to the original question:
Is A- Db - E the neopolitan chord for the Ab major?

Since you can't have the same note appear in a scale twice and you can't sharp a flat, you can only use a double flat. I would think: Bbb-Db-Fb would be the right answer. And looking up at GT's post, yup, that's what he said.

I am guessing semsem had a mid-term music theory exam and got this question wrong. :D

Irrespective of its derivation, it seems that a neapolitan chord (which I had never head of) is, in the end, a normal major chord a semitone above the tonic. So, in your example, the neapolitan chord for Cmajor is Db major.

Is that different from what I said?

What is the difference between A & Bbb also between E & Fb ? If there are no differences so your answer agrees with mine.

What is the difference between A & Bbb also between E & Fb ? If there are no differences so your answer agrees with mine.

Harmonically, they are the same. In a scale, you can only have A, B, C, D, E, F, G once, so if your scale requires an Ab and an A, then the A would be referred to as a double flatted B, or Bbb. If you took the circle of fifths far enough, you would eventually come across the Fb scale which has a Bbb in it. It's all academic at that point.

But yeah, you'd be hitting the same key on the piano or fingering the same fret on a guitar.

Mega thanks Sir. You have answered my question.

Who are you talking to? 5 people gave answers. LOL :D

Back