Let's have a best cover of Hallelujah contest!

Rate this version

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lukesteele

Seems Hallelujah gets people's pulses going. It's easy to record. You just need that take to make it your own!

So how about we put up our takes on this great song and make sure you put up a poll for your song for 3 options:

1. I like it!
2. It's so-so
3. It's crap

Let the poll run 30 days then tally.

I'll start the ball rolling with my version: Good Luck All!! Merry Christmas!! Lu :)

https://soundcloud.com/pentultima/hallelujah-pentultima-cover

Like many others, this song is one of my all time favorites. Here's a little version I just threw together. My favorite version is the Jeff Buckley version. The only instrumental I could find omits the last verse, though. :(

Like many others, this song is one of my all time favorites. Here's a little version I just threw together. My favorite version is the Jeff Buckley version. The only instrumental I could find omits the last verse, though. :(

Really nice. Love the harmonies. I thought the song went on just a tad too long, but didn't mind so much listening to your voice. (That is you singing, right?) Talent like this keeps me coming back for more. Thanks for sharing.

Really nice. Love the harmonies. I thought the song went on just a tad too long, but didn't mind so much listening to your voice. (That is you singing, right?) Talent like this keeps me coming back for more. Thanks for sharing.

Yep, that's me. Thanks, hon :)

I enjoyed listening to both tracks, I'll not comment in detail as I have not listened in a focused way and I don't do generic feedback so it'll have to wait until the madness subsides, the festive bit lol. I'm really tempted to have a go at this, I've not done a cover before, other than half a verse while testing a mic. mmmm very tempted for the fun of it.

thanks

Tim

Ahhh.........

Hi and thanks for your lovely version of Hallelujah triquee! I think I like K.D.Lang's version best with Jeff's a close second. Merry Christmas!Lu :)

How long will this go on. I got buncha software I gotta install now. I'll try to throw something together before new year if it's still hip!

Hi CrowsofFritz... I reckon I'll give it a few mths or forever if people want to join in! Hallelujah is a bit like Stairway to Heaven IMO. Everyone has to give it a go sometime. Merry Christmas Lu :)

Well, this should just about destroy any shred of credibility I might have earned in the time I've been posting here. A very clean, exposed vocal to allow every flaw in my vocal performance to shine through. I listened again to the two versions already posted and thus far I like Triquee's version most, but have to say there are qualities to both performances which make them endearing, well done to both.
I am not overly familiar with this song, I tend to listen to what I want so don't hear stuff that's not on my radar, I ought to get out more often. Maybe a touch of the Lou Reed approach lol, I won't be held responsible for any trauma this track may cause.

This is very much against my better judgement, but it's fun to participate.

Tim

Hi Tim! Thanks for contributing your version. I like your piano-work on this song. Yes you seem to have captured Lou Reed in that vocal style. :) Keep em coming folks! Happy New Year!

I just saw this and I think it's cool! I'm in. But I'm not a singer--at all. So mine will be an instrumental version. I just got the sheet music, so I'll start on it tonight.

My preferred version is the original Cohen matched by John Cale's simple but powerful reading on the live rainy season LP.
The versions so far are interesting: Luke's being close to Cale's in delivery, Triquee's being somewhat different & very interesting but the high guitar began to nag. Tim's has the simple Cale accompaniment and an interesting grainy vocal that has a lot in common with Cohen's original though there's more mid & bottom in Lenny's vocal.
Tim, Lou hasn't sung as such for more than 30 years - he was on his last singing legs when I saw him on the tour that took Street Hassles, (great song - appaling album), on the road. There was only a little singing on that album - since then he's spoken most of his songs. It was for that reason I demured from seeing the Berlin Live gig at the Sydney Opera House. I did buy the DVD: the settings and arrangements are great but he talks his way through it so much that Anthony's vocal additions were quite startling and off putting in their tunefulness (given they are Reed songs) in contrast to Uncle Lou's delivery.

Hi Ray! Thanks for your comments on the submissions. I haven't heard Cale's version yet. Will hear it and get back to you. Are you going to put up a version too?
Cheers,
Lu :)

Back