New Category in User forums by brand

Sure, it's easily sensible and doable. Downside: laptops aren't apptops. It's the app revolution that would drive a new forum like this. Question: how many people do we get asking questions about portastudios?

True, but thought about it just from a broader term perspective. Plus, the Porta guys usually post in the vendor section or analog (why analog I have no idea).

The idea was just to broaden the scope and make it maybe acceptable to more people.

As Per Chater-la's last response it appears they have seen the light and "Get" what I am saying...An iPad only section will help the BBS grow and improve SEO results...bottom line, helping grow the owners of HR.com's bottom line which is why this place exist today. If it isn't making money it isn't worth throwing money at each month.

That said my pitch has been mainly using the iPad as a instrument and as a recording device. Another powerful tool it serves as is as a touchscreen control unit for bigger DAW systems as per this example...

You're right about device recording opening up the field to a bigger group of people. But the tool itself isn't mediocre. You or I could easily make the music we're making today with an iPad. I've got a bigger worry about the iPad stuff, though. The industry's catering like crazy to the new big market for apps, which means less energy's going into development of stuff designed for desktop recording. There's a chance that the kids are going to become such a big market for home recording that dinosaurs like me won't have the same kind of toys to play with we've been used to.

Edit - never mind. Screw it. It's pointless. Carry on.

Last edited:
This site'll never be better than it is. If you want a more advanced level, that means finding a site that's already at a more advanced level. Take me with you when you find it. I tried finding a better site, and failed. The sites with more knowledge are populated with pros who are focussed more on the biz than the fun. I'd like a site with pros and with homers who know enough about recording to make a mix that sounds good. We could call it Noobless.com. When you find it, let me know. It's what I've been looking for for ten years. In the meantime, I hang here to have some fun and enjoy an active mp3 forum, and I go to a couple other sites when I have a serious question.

Last edited:
Define low quality as per the specifications below....

View attachment 90081

:facepalm:

Seriously, use it, enjoy it but there is currently no way it can out perform even a moderately priced laptop. I'd grab one in a heartbeat if it could. I've tried the iPad and it's cool, it's funky but it aint even on the same page yet. Having said that, poking a few buttons and manipulating a few tracks/samples or midi tracks has never really been my thing. It aint really where the market is either... One day the Apple over promise will come true but until then I shall remain in the land of reality and not Oz...

As Per Chater-la's last response it appears they have seen the light and "Get" what I am saying...An iPad only section will help the BBS grow and improve SEO results...bottom line, helping grow the owners of HR.com's bottom line which is why this place exist today. If it isn't making money it isn't worth throwing money at each month.

That said my pitch has been mainly using the iPad as a instrument and as a recording device. Another powerful tool it serves as is as a touchscreen control unit for bigger DAW systems as per this example...

Wouldn't that be more useful in the reaper board? Do we need another board for that?

Edit - never mind. Screw it. It's pointless. Carry on.

lol.... Yep... :laughings:

I can just see the next round of questions on the horizon.

"I have an Ipad.... how do I make myself famous?"

The answer is of course just add hard work and a splash of talent but as with most things these days immediate results are the order of the day....:facepalm:

This site'll never be better than it is. If you want a more advanced level, that means finding a site that's already at a more advanced level. Take me with you when you find it. I tried finding a better site, and failed. The sites with more knowledge are populated with pros who are focussed more on the biz than the fun. I'd like a site with pros and with homers who know enough about recording to make a mix that sounds good. We could call it Noobless.com. When you find it, let me know. It's what I've been looking for for ten years. In the meantime, I hang here to have some fun and enjoy an active mp3 forum, and I go to a couple other sites when I have a serious question.

You just pitched this site circa 2006/7... The fun off topic was better too..

Whether one is using a desktop, a laptop, or an iPad, the basics and principles of recording and mixing remain the same. If one can't record using a desktop or laptop, getting an iPad isn't going to help one who isn't knowledgeable of recording and mixing basics and principles make quality recordings. I'm not a big fan of Dream Theater, but I am a fan of their technical prowess and musicianship. Jason Rudeness is ahead of the curve when it comes to developing products for this growing segment of the recording industry. He isn't in for no reason. This is viable technology that can be used for a whole lot more than just making rap songs!:guitar:

You just pitched this site circa 2006/7... The fun off topic was better too..

By 'pitched this site' I'm assuming you mean I left it for another. That's right - that's what I meant when I said 'I tried finding a better site and failed.' My experience so far is that it's impossible to find a site that checks these boxes:

* a good crowd who's fun online

* people who know how to record

* a lack of idiots

* enough pros to make it real

This place doesn't fit the bill exactly. HR.com tried and failed. Do you know a better place?

By 'pitched this site' I'm assuming you mean I left it for another. That's right - that's what I meant when I said 'I tried finding a better site and failed.' My experience so far is that it's impossible to find a site that checks these boxes:

* a good crowd who's fun online

* people who know how to record

* a lack of idiots

* enough pros to make it real

This place doesn't fit the bill exactly. HR.com tried and failed. Do you know a better place?

We had a good crowd, loads of them got pissed off with the way this site was managed and drifted off..

We had a load of people who know how to record, loads of them got pissed off with the way this site was managed and drifted off..

We had a fair few indusrty pro's, loads of them got pissed off with the way this site was managed and drifted off..

We seem to be good at attracting more idiots though...;)

I still don't see why it couldn't be called mobile recording and lump laptops, Portastudios, and Tablets all together since mobile recording does have its own set of problems beyond just an IPad/Android/Surface (I did say that huh) applications.
I think this is a good idea.

You're right about device recording opening up the field to a bigger group of people. But the tool itself isn't mediocre. You or I could easily make the music we're making today with an iPad.
The iPad is just another tool/medium that can be used in recording. The medium used in recording is not responsible for the quality of the recordings that people come up with. Whether or not there are or will be lots of 'incompetents' making recordings because it is easier to make recordings than it was 30 years ago is utterly irrelevant. It's good that there's choice and variety.

Downside: laptops aren't apptops. It's the app revolution that would drive a new forum like this. Question: how many people do we get asking questions about portastudios?
Where you have a variety of ways of achieving the same end {eg, a finished recording for someone to play}, it stands to reason that, people being people, they're not all going to enjoy the same degree of popularity.
But that's no reason to toss the less used [portastudios/laptops/cassettes etc] gear out into the wilderness. A number of contributors here began with and can therefore still answer about things like portastudios. There's room for it all because the real meat is in how you go about it far more than the what you go about it on.

The idea was just to broaden the scope and make it maybe acceptable to more people.
And that's why it's a good idea.
Also, if you go through the archives of 15 years of HR.com, you'll find that actually, not much has really changed. There are still the clueless, the know it alls, the abrasive, the over sensitive, the seekers, the talkers, those that come and go, those that stay and those that don't stay long etc.
One of the things that makes this a pretty good site is it's sheer scope and versatility.

use it, enjoy it but there is currently no way it can out perform even a moderately priced laptop.
For you yes. For me, yes. But we are not the world, we are not the children.......
yippie.gif
yippie.gif

It all has a place, if only for a season, because someone will find a way to make it work and if one can,
images

So when are they going to add a 1TB drive to store my projects, 8 CPUs so I can use all my plugins on all my tracks and busses, and screen bigger than a postage stamp so I can see more than 4 tracks at a time?
Sure it will become the next "little" thing but I'll stick to my laptop thanks.
The kids can have their toys.

We had a good crowd, loads of them got pissed off with the way this site was managed and drifted off..

We had a load of people who know how to record, loads of them got pissed off with the way this site was managed and drifted off..

We had a fair few indusrty pro's, loads of them got pissed off with the way this site was managed and drifted off..

We seem to be good at attracting more idiots though...;)

I wonder if they might come back.

Do you remember specific names. or is it just a general feeling?

If you can remember names, I am happy to approach them to see why they left and whether they might return.

I wonder if they might come back.

Do you remember specific names. or is it just a general feeling?

If you can remember names, I am happy to approach them to see why they left and whether they might return.

I'm still intouch with some of them. Mostly they left because the way the board was run and the endless nonsense trolling of good threads..

I listed a bunch of MIA members in a recent thread that included all those mentioned above. MSH, Zb, telep, all good knowledgeable and good social members there are lots more... and plenty others could list..

So when are they going to add a 1TB drive to store my projects, 8 CPUs so I can use all my plugins on all my tracks and busses, and screen bigger than a postage stamp so I can see more than 4 tracks at a time?
Sure it will become the next "little" thing but I'll stick to my laptop thanks.
The kids can have their toys.

Well kiddies....I've been playing with NEW technology since 1973. You knuckleheads that want to sit in yesterday and point out the limitations of the early beginnings of the tablet in music production..stay where you are at ..the big machines are "better" no doubt. For 90% of the people coming to this site ( who are amateurs )...what we can do on an ipad today would have cost of thousands of dollars with inferior results 10 years ago.

I was using cakewalk in Dos in 1987 when hard drives were disc the size of a an LP record. I built my first PC in 1995. I've spent thousands of dollars on Collosus, Kontakt and a myriad of synths and software over the years....I spit in the face of Mac from the beggining... but....I have slowly over the last 3 years become a fan.. My son-in-law gave me an older iMac 3 years ago...I said what the heck I'll play with it...what a pain in the butt getting used to the Mac way of doing things...but...damn when it works it works pretty cool. I am into my fourth day using my iPad as an instrument / sound module and last night was fricking heaven on earth. I purchased a Novation Impulse and ran it into the iPad...Used Galileo organ (buried the Nord 2 I sold to buy this set up) tried out the Jordantron...HOLY SHIT!...and I am just scratching the surface...It's like being a little kid on Christmas morning...Sure this has it limitations but with a little effort and imagination..the ipad is a VERY POWERFUL tool for music enthusiast.

In regards to your question about the 1 terabyte of memory....there's this camera kit adapter that has a slot for an SD disk

Here's the recipe for not 1 but 2 terabytes of storage

add one of these...

41lthQb0iTL.jpg

To one of these

MS2TB.png

and "MIX" well :D

Wouldn't that be more useful in the reaper board? Do we need another board for that?

I guess it could be posted in the reaper board too...but for all intended purposes it really belongs in the new iPad forum where all things iPad go...:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

Seriously, use it, enjoy it but there is currently no way it can out perform even a moderately priced laptop. I'd grab one in a heartbeat if it could. I've tried the iPad and it's cool, it's funky but it aint even on the same page yet. Having said that, poking a few buttons and manipulating a few tracks/samples or midi tracks has never really been my thing. It aint really where the market is either... One day the Apple over promise will come true but until then I shall remain in the land of reality and not Oz...

I never tried to say it performed as well as the big computers...You said you couldn't embrace it because it was too low quality for your needs...I asked you to define low quality based on the specs I posted of what the Auria can provide in the iPad? ...please expound.

I get it, you're a power user...maybe a pro, I don't know. What I do know is this phenomenon is just the beginning of a new chapter in "music making"...not just recording and it blows the doors wide open for some amazing new things that make noise.

I need 3 usb ports - mouse, ILOK and interface. How do you record a full band all at once into it? Will it run Sonar X3? Can it burn a CD so I can listen to it in my truck. See it doesn't fit my needs as a DAW machine.

Back