USB mixer, Interface or something like the ZOOM H6?

imsharris

I am wanting to create some backing tracks for practicing and possibly some live use. I was wondering what the best way to do it would be? I already have an Allen and Heath ZED 10FX which has the USB connection. However, I was wondering if it would be easier to have a dedicated usb interface or maybe even something like that ZOOM H6?

Since you already have the Zed 10FX, I'd just stick with that. It's a nice little mixer with decent pre amps and channel EQ. The H6 is a nice portable field recorder but, since you want to actually create tracks (and not just listen to how you sound in rough terms) you'd be transferring into a DAW and mixing anyway...so you might as well cut out the middle man.

Download a DAW (probably Reaper) for the free trial and see how you get on. A&H, in my experience, are easy to interface into a system--and their support is very good should you have any issues.

If you are using the A+H to record two separate tracks at one time (that's the most it will allow), then pan one 100% left, one 100% right, and set your DAW recording for 1 track fed from the left, 2nd track from the right. You CAN record to a stereo track, but then you'll have to split it off into separate tracks for mixing.

Back