USB interface suggestions

AxelCloris

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the home recording scene. I've done a fair bit of work on my school's equipment in our sound lab, but quite honestly I cannot afford things like Manley tube microphones and such on my personal budget. What I'm looking for today is a USB interface that I can use with my laptop to record voice only. I'm not looking to do music, so I know I don't need a large number of inputs on my interface. I'm currently looking for good USB interfaces in the $100 price range to run a simple single mic setup at my home for some light work. I've been looking at picking up a used Edirol UA25 (non-ex version) since I can get it in my price range. I've seen a few posts about this one here on the forums, but many of them are older and other devices have come out since then that may be better for my purpose. I'm curious if any of you who record vocals for music or voice overs may have some suggestions for someone who is starting out. I'm thinking about pairing this with a large diaphragm condenser mic, so I'd be looking for something that could do phantom power like the UA25 can. I've also been tossing around the idea of the Avid Fast Track and the Behringer 302USB, as they look to be pretty well reviewed on Amazon.

Thanks in advance!
Axel

Of your list, the M Audio (Avid) Fast Track Mk ii would be my choice. Make sure it's the Mk ii--there are lots of the original unit around and it's much less recommendable.

At this stage, though, consider whether a single mic input will be enough in the future. If you'll ever need a second mic or maybe some line level inputs, it's probably cheaper to save up a bit longer now than have to buy again in the future.

Saw this sweet USB single channel I/O in another thread in the last two weeks. Apparently very high quality. Click on the picture.

If you're looking for a large condenser I own and love the Sennheiser MK3. For my 'voice of God' I use the Shure SM7B.

Hi, I'm also new to Home Recording but I have found amazing results with the PreSonus Audiobox USB. It's slightly over your $100 range ($150) but is well worth it. I haven't made ten posts or I would give you a link but Google "Presonus Audiobox USB" and it's the first link below the shopping recommendations.

I just researched an interface myself. I read a lot and asked questions. I finally decided on a Focusrite saffire 6 usb interface. I found it for 179.00 on BHPhoto, but if you shop around samash was having a big discount and zzounds is great at giving you some kind of discount if you call and ask. I just got my fishman acoustic artist, shure sm57 adn at2020 in. I will have my interface and monitors in this week so I can't give you a personal review yet...but maybe soon. Goodluck!

BTW the folks on this board have been invaluable!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It's really helping me pick out where I want to start. And yes, I cannot do a PCI card with my laptop, so I'm stuck with USB. At least USB 3.0 is an option for me.

You're going to struggle to find any interfaces that are ready for USB3--you're probably about six months early.

However, the good news is that, until you need more that about 16 simultaneous channels, USB2 is just fine--and USB3 won't provide any tangible benefits.

Man i recommend you a Focusrite 2i2 and there is even a new version the Focusrite 2i4, so i think the 2i2 wich worths 135$ will low the price since the 2i4 will cost the same and have just some extra fuctions, this Usb Interface is really awsome, and works perfectly, the support service its really fast and allways help properly, i got mine from amazon but i Live in Bolivia so it cost me extra 40$ for shipping lol, anyways i recommend you this totally, is beautiful, i use it with a AT 2020 mic im also a newbie with low experience on this kind of stuff but its working perfect for me so i think it will work even better for you :P

I have the Focusrite 6USB and it works perfectly on my secondary rig.

I've also read some great reports about the various Presonus Audiobox units.
Rock solid drivers with low latency

But the Focusrite has those Focusrite pre-amps, so the choice is yours......

Back