Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Recording acoustic guitar ( new mic)

Thanks

Recording acoustic guitar ( new mic)

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a very basic set up . Tascam dpoo8ex 8 track . Recently bought the new mic lewitt 440 pure which is large diaphragm. I've experimented with this . The capture seems fairly clean but still lacking a bit in presence . The recorder also has small internal mics one of which I can use in conjunction . Using both does sound possibly thicker but possibly less clean . I'm tempted to end up double tracking the guitar part with the large diaphragm condenser mic . I'm recording in a small environment which is largely non reflective acoustically . Any ideas ?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Before the real 'sperts come in...Put a few sq mtrs of "hardboard" on the floor.

Dave.

Thanks
    Don't use the built-in recorder mics.

Do experiment with mic placement and your position in the room.
    Unless you have a room that is well-balanced acoustically (most home studios are not), it's better to record somewhat of a 'dead' sound, then EQ and add reverb in post-production.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    It's a pretty flat non reflective environment and small . I had the mic about one foot to 18 inches from the body / neck aimed about 45 degree angle into the body corner and roughly level to fretboard height . Re : hardboard is that to re introduce some reflection off the floor

Thanks
    Move the mic. There are areas where you will get more body tone. Shift up, down, on axis off axis, etc. Sometimes to get the tone you want it's easier to double the part with two or more mic positions, just check for major phase issues(minor phase differences tend to sound good). I have done a quick set up just by putting an LDC laying down sideways in the keyboard tray of my desk and just moving the guitar around to get the tone I wanted.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Yes Double tracking has crossed my mind but would need to be pretty tight overdub . This isn't a cut and paste situation. Yes see what you mean . Slightly different position on the overdub to introduce more tonal variety

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    I have a very basic set up . Tascam dpoo8ex 8 track . Recently bought the new mic lewitt 440 pure which is large diaphragm. I've experimented with this . The capture seems fairly clean but still lacking a bit in presence . The recorder also has small internal mics one of which I can use in conjunction . Using both does sound possibly thicker but possibly less clean . I'm tempted to end up double tracking the guitar part with the large diaphragm condenser mic . I'm recording in a small environment which is largely non reflective acoustically . Any ideas ?
    lack of presence ? move closer !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    It's a pretty flat non reflective environment and small . I had the mic about one foot to 18 inches from the body / neck aimed about 45 degree angle into the body corner and roughly level to fretboard height . Re : hardboard is that to re introduce some reflection off the floor
    What are you using as a playback system for your recordings? Headphones....monitors? What models etc. Not saying that whatever you're listening with is the culprit......but often times it's a factor. As I recall.......going back in time.......I think you mentioned that your environment was a mobile home or trailer of some sort? Apologies if that's not correct.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Headphones. Audio technica m30x. Ill play around some more with mic proximity and gain.

Thanks
    Just using M-30x cans alone can certainly affect your results. I understand if incorporating near-fields is not practical money wise or space wise. You're not completely alone in that regard. Assuming you have no desire to give your music to anyone else or post it or distribute it.......and your goal is to have fun with your songs for yourself.........no one should tell you that your play-back setup is not workable. However........that being said......you never know what you might do with your music down the road........so being able to produce a result that will reliably play well on many systems is something you might want to consider. Your recorder and mic are fine. Maybe think about upgrading your headphones? If that helps to solve a few issues for you......it can be worth it.

By the way........if you post a part of your work here.......we might be able to save you some time as well.

Just my 2 cents as always.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thread Information