Poor quality cables

Gabriel_0

OK, still trying to fix this distortion problem. What i did was use a shorter cable, a speaker cable to be exact and the sound seemed to clean up quite a bit. So my question is this, is it possible that poor quality (cheap) cables can distort your guitar when DI?

You should always use the shortest cable possible, but you do not want to be to close to your interface, especially if youre recording onto a computer causes nasty distortion, and feedback. high quality cables are always best for recording.

Doc Strange said:
You should always use the shortest cable possible, but you do not want to be to close to your interface, especially if youre recording onto a computer causes nasty distortion, and feedback. high quality cables are always best for recording.

Hi,

I'm recording to a Zoom MRS 1608. So if i upgraded my quality of cables and used shorter lengths this may resolve my distorion issues? Also I'm trying to use a GT6 for my recordings, where would I go about picking up digital coaxial cables, I'm assuming these would improve my sound drastically also?

Thanks for all the help!
Gabriel

well digital would be optical. if you have optical inputs and outputs on your devices yes it will make a great difference. but as far as your guitar,keybaord or any instrument, high quality cable has to do with the type of wiring and insulation used. high quality cables are ofcourse a thicker guage and heavily insulated. also make sure none of your cables are running parellel with power cables this will also cause a nasty hum. also check your input and output levels having them up to high can also cause distortion. check your compressor settings although they themselves do not add to a signal, they should help with signals sent to them. good luck.

Doc Strange said:
well digital would be optical.

Digital is not always optical. The Boss I believe uses a RCA connector for SPDIF digital out; however I don't think the Zoom has a digital in. However I just checked the manuals quickly, I don't have experience with these units.

But basically, if you had digital connectors, you'd simply use a good quality mono coax cable with RCA connectors.

I can't really say what is causing your 'distortion' without hearing it. Can you post a clip?

mshilarious said:
Digital is not always optical. The Boss I believe uses a RCA connector for SPDIF digital out; however I don't think the Zoom has a digital in. However I just checked the manuals quickly, I don't have experience with these units.

But basically, if you had digital connectors, you'd simply use a good quality mono coax cable with RCA connectors.

I can't really say what is causing your 'distortion' without hearing it. Can you post a clip?

I just checked my Zoom MRS 1608 and it only has a digital out on it no Digital in. Any way I can get this to work?

Gabriel_0 said:
I just checked my Zoom MRS 1608 and it only has a digital out on it no Digital in. Any way I can get this to work?

Don't think so. But it's no big deal, just plug the analog output from the Boss into any of the Zoom's inputs--not the high impedance input though. The output from the Boss in low impedance line level.

And don't forget to clean the plugs, it's amazing what a drop of cleaner and a soft cloth can do to eliminate some of the nastyness that you can hear, even if you can't see it.

...a speaker cable to be exact...

You need to use a shielded cable. Speaker cable will act as an antenna and pick up things your pickups don't want picked up!

Thanks a ton for all your replies. I haven't recorded in 18 years and when I did it was reel to reel...lol. This switch over to digital is interesting to say the least. Any more suggestions are VERY appreciated!

Peace
Gabriel

Back