Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mic input too weak

Thanks

Angry Mic input too weak

Sign in to disable this ad
    After years of experimenting and following advice and tutorials I still can't get to the bottom of this mystery. Just recently got a new Behringer C-1 mic through my Presonus audiobox 96 (to replace my scarlett CM-25 mic) the quality is just too soft like it's muffled as well even with phantom power on. Looking through tutorials that do reviews on this exact mic, people get WAY better sound quality than me unedited - not doing anything differently. The input really ramps up with the last 2-3 notches of the gain knob (95-100%) but by that time it's too much and starts to clip. All I need is simply a good quality recording of acoustic guitar and vocals (I prefer to record them seperately) for professional sounding music covers, nothing fancy, just the 2 tracks - I do tend to alternate between finger picking and strumming chords which makes this just a bit trickier but it shouldn't really be as difficult as I'm encountering it to be.

If it helps I'm using Windows 10 64bit, Studio one 3. Guitar recorded with the condenser mic pointed at the 12-15th fret not angled toward the soundhole as per advised. Not sure if it's my PC, my software, my mics, my interfaces. If there are any audio engineers out there any ideas would be appreciated thanks guys
    Last edited by BorisMusic; 08-08-2019 at 08:55.

Thanks
    I think that the first question to ask is: are you sure that you're pointing the front of the mic towards the sound source? On the C1, that's the side with the power LED and the logo. You certainly wouldn't be the first to point the mic the wrong way

Is the power LED lit up when you supply phantom power?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    I think that the first question to ask is: are you sure that you're pointing the front of the mic towards the sound source? On the C1, that's the side with the power LED and the logo. You certainly wouldn't be the first to point the mic the wrong way

Is the power LED lit up when you supply phantom power?
    Funny you mention it, I actually did point it backwards when I first set it up haha. So when turned the right way, the sound still not full enough. But it's not just that the signal sounds too weak, it just doesn't sound right. When playing guitar I can hear my shirt grinding against the guitar which is strange because others don't seem to have that problem.

And yes the LED is lit up, in red.

Thanks
    I'm not technical but are you using an xlr cable or quarter inch jack . I've been trying to see whether phantom power works with jack and can't see a definitive answer on the internet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    I'm not technical but are you using an xlr cable or quarter inch jack . I've been trying to see whether phantom power works with jack and can't see a definitive answer on the internet
    XLR here (I have 2 and tried both), I don't recall ever using a quarter inch, not for a condenser mic anyway.
    Last edited by BorisMusic; 08-08-2019 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I strongly suspect win10 settings and drivers are the culprit.

The stock win from a dealer is not audio friendly.
    And they do things they dont tell you about internally to default to what they think you should want not give you what you think you asked for.
    Unless you research those and fix them first you will have problems.
    Interesting, thanks for letting me know, I actually had no idea. Do you suggest I try mac? Lot of people seem to be going in that direction.

Thanks
    Need a sound clip but if you can hear your clothes against the guitar you may have a gain staging issue. Somewhere between your mic, interface, computer and DAW isn't set right.

Changing to a mac will not fix this issue.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I wondered when I read this bit
    quality is just too soft like it's muffled as well even with phantom power on
    With phantom off there should have been NO sound. So are you actually saying that the mic works on no power, because it can't and if it is working even a bit, then it's getting power from somewhere.

Please confirm you are using XLR-XLR cables and not the combo socket jacks. We always ask for sound samples, but in this case a video clip would be good - youtube, maybe? Show us how it's connected, how the mics are positioned and what you see on the screen. One of us might spot the problem. Talk us through it on the camera mic. I'm thinking "OK - here's the mic, it's plugged into here, and if I put the gain here, I get this on the screen etc etc "

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I wondered when I read this bit

With phantom off there should have been NO sound. So are you actually saying that the mic works on no power, because it can't and if it is working even a bit, then it's getting power from somewhere.

Please confirm you are using XLR-XLR cables and not the combo socket jacks. We always ask for sound samples, but in this case a video clip would be good - youtube, maybe? Show us how it's connected, how the mics are positioned and what you see on the screen. One of us might spot the problem. Talk us through it on the camera mic. I'm thinking "OK - here's the mic, it's plugged into here, and if I put the gain here, I get this on the screen etc etc "
    I shouldve clarified, there is NO sound with the phantom power turned off. It is definitely XLR to XLR, I have a red cable (that came with my scarlett 2i2 and a black one i use for busking.
    Ill try take some photos and maybe a vid later on but there's nothing really special that I'm doing - I connect the mic, it's sitting right in front of me on a mic stand about a foot away (I've tried many positions, even turning it upside down) with a pop filter, I open my DAW and go direct input so i can hear myself through my headphones. Here is a good tutorial that i followed, you notice how clear the mic is just from him talking, this is the kinda thing im striving for
    Last edited by BorisMusic; 08-08-2019 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisMusic View Post
    you notice how clear the mic is just from him talking, this is the kinda thing im striving for
    That guy almost certainly has a shotgun microphone on, or above, the camera.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thread Information