how to mic a grand piano

nickplee

Hey all, i'm new to this forum and to home recording. I am currently faced with the dilemma of recording a Yamaha GH1 Grand Piano (5' 3") with the only two microphones I own: An MXL 909 Large-Diaphragm Condenser and a Shure PG81 Small-Diaphragm condenser. I would like to know what the best technique would be (placement, eq?, etc.) to get decent sound out of this configuration.

My current studio setup includes:
MXL 909
Shure PG81
Behringer Eurorack UB802
Presonus Inspire 1394
Yamaha NP-30 Keyboard
Edirol UM-1X Midi Interface
Logic Express
Apple Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz 3 GB Ram

(I'm only 15)

I've always found that experimentation is key with micing any instrument.

Your mic placement should reflect the application of the recording--are you recording solo piano? Will this be used in an ensemble recording? (with other tracks/instruments)

Perspective is also key--do you want it from the audience or the pianist's perspective?

Let me give you a couple examples of what I would probably do...

1. Player's perspective.
I'd probably put your MXL over the bass strings. Give it enough space as not to be touching the strings and not touching the lid. Put the Shure up towards the treble strings. I'd put the mics on a diagonal for a nice stereo image. Unfortunately I can't give you a clear picture of this. You'll need to trust your ears in the cans for placement--I hard pan this, and I generally get pleasant results.

2. Audience perspective. Open the lid to top stick. Set up some stands and throw the mics up... Up to you on how close they should be... but place them parallel on each end of the piano, facing the piano, as if it's on stage (which it could be for all I know.)
I'd probably have the Shure audience left.

Once again, things like EQ are all going to depend on things like the room you use, what method of micing you choose... and the material being recorded.

:DYo Nick:

I always like the "easy" way. Is your "piano via Yam" electronic? If so, does it have "outs?" If it does have 1/4 inch outs, just run the keyboard DIRECT to your recording device.

I've read about many folks recording keyboards/etc., via outboard speakers; well, if you have a "good" room to do this, it helps. If you have a "home" studio, then direct might be the best way to go. You can add FX/Dynamics/Etc. But, most newer keyboards have an "abundance" of reverb; thus, you may be "cutting" down reverb when you record, if it is necessary.

Cheers,
Green Hornet:cool:

:DYo Nick:

I always like the "easy" way. Is your "piano via Yam" electronic? If so, does it have "outs?" If it does have 1/4 inch outs, just run the keyboard DIRECT to your recording device.

Considering how he said he's recording a grand piano and not a keyboard, I'd say no.

:cool:Yo Gooley:

The "GH1" number designator or whatever just made my mind wonder if he meant a standing electronic Grand or a Grand keyboard standing without electronics.

For a non-jooce keyboard, there are many ways to mic it and the "room" certainly plays a big part, the floor, the carpet or no carpet and, of course, the gear.

Have a salubrious day.

Green Hornet:D

Just stick an sm57 right up against the grille. don't aim for the center of the speaker, cuz that's a 'dust flap.' don't put too much gain on the amp. double track everything.

:D:D:D:D:D

Back