How do you get that Queen/Bowie-esque vocal chorus sound?

sicvita

I've tried using the basic chorus effects in adobe audition as well as chorus pedals and am slowly realizing I'm not going to get anywhere close until I get some serious plug-in help. Problem is, it's a very distinct sound I want and I'm really not sure which plug-in's going to have it; it's like a thick, kind of robotic, bowie in the '80's kind of sound. One of the only modern songs I've heard using is "get Innocuous" by LCD soundsystem. to get an example of what I'm talking about check it out around the 1:00 mark - http://www.myspace.com/lcdsoundsystem

Just try lots of overdubs on your vocals...they must be "tight" though. In other words make sure you get the phrasing close to perfect on each take.

I'd defiantly overdub if I were you. I would bet money that this is how it was done in the recording you refer to. It is the only kind of chorus I use, sounds infinitely better than any effect. It is also how it it is done for most mainstream recordings. It's not that hard I can even match my previous perfomances with headphones and I am a piss poor singer. All the musicians I have recorded with can easily pull it off. Plus as you start playing with EQ, panning, level on the different tracks it sounds even sweeter and is a whole lot of fun.:D

....call up David or Freddie???
OOps, no, too late...!

No but seriuosly, we're talking about 2 very special singers here. You might get close, but IMHO you can't get it the same way. I seriously believe it's the character of their voice that made all the difference.

....call up David or Freddie???
OOps, no, too late...!

No but seriuosly, we're talking about 2 very special singers here. You might get close, but IMHO you can't get it the same way. I seriously believe it's the character of their voice that made all the difference.
Actually, I read an article where they were asking Freddy how they pulled of the opera-like section of Bohemian Rhapsidy.

He said they recorded them enmasse singing each part and just layered the hell out of it. He wasn't certain, but each of the 4 of them were overdubbed at least 16 times. :eek:

Actually, I read an article where they were asking Freddy how they pulled of the opera-like section of Bohemian Rhapsidy.

He said they recorded them enmasse singing each part and just layered the hell out of it. He wasn't certain, but each of the 4 of them were overdubbed at least 16 times. :eek:

Yeah, BR is lots of overdubs, but that's a different sound than what the OP gave as a sample. Also, he said kinda robotic sounding. Overdoing the H3000 will get you there, or if you want that even weirder robotic sound of cher or tpain, overuse of autotune is what you want.

Wanting to sound like someone else is highly overrated. Be creative and do your own thing.

He's a after a *similar* sound on one element of the mix. Everyone rips off other people dude. Originality is only pinching from sources nobody's mixed before.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I'm generalising, please nobody get arsey with me...

Back