Could you damage a microphone by placing it inside an inflated balloon???

89gtsleeper

Could you damage a microphone by placing it inside an inflated balloon??? I was wanting to do an experiment with sticking an SM57 inside of an inflated baloon and recording a few things. Would this hurt the diaphragm of the mic??? I figured on a dynamic it probably wouldn't matter, but maybe on a condensor with a much thinner diaphragm it could hurt something??? Any idea? I'm going to do this tomorrow regardless, but just curious. Thanks.

I doubt it would hurt a 57, though I certainly can't say from experience.

Now I'm curoius what the world sounds like from inside a balloon... :)

Have fun,
C

use a condom instead....it'll be stronger than a balloon.

wrap the condom around it, rubber band it tight, place it in the toilet and record yourself flushing. It's a cool sound. :)

Since the pressure would be the same on both sides of the diaphram, the balloon recording should pose no risk to the mic. I can't say the same for the condom wrapped log ride though. :eek:

Yeah, don't think I'll be trying to flush my mics any time soon. But I think you're probably right... since the pressure would be the same on both sides it shouldn't really matter. And it's not like the pressure is going to be rediculously high to begin with. I think I'll go ahead and try this tomorrow. I have to play a show tonight, but tomorrow will be a day of recovery in the studio most likely. :)

I'd be more concerned about the moisture in the balloon, but for a short experiment it shouldn't matter at all. The pressure will only be very slightly higher than the surrounding air.

It's an interesting idea. Will you post a couple sound samples once you are done?

Im looking forward to the outcome.
Please post some samples when you have some.

Id say the recordings will be pretty muffled, will be cool to hear the outcome.

Eck

pretty strange post?huh
but...some reason I want to hear what the OP records with a mic in a balloon and........ why?:confused:

as others have stated, with an SM57 you should be fine!

I too am interested in hearing the outcome from this...please post some samples when youve done it!

haha now how would you go about mounting the balloon... maybe if u rub it on some wool it will stick to the wall?

The urban legend is that you can put a nail in your wall with a SM58. SM57 is pretty much the same so you should be fine.

it should work just fine, especially since it can be used as an alternate to a non-explosive projectile, and even works fine as a hammer in most scenario's......

So, lemme get this straight,

There is no "Theory of Evolution," just animals the SM58 allows to live?

Or, there is no chin under Chuck Norris' beard, just an SM58?

And, Chuck Norris’ sperm is so badass, he had sex with Nicole Kidman, and 7 months later she prematurely gave birth to a Shure SM58?

Ok, I'll quit now. Sorry.

Ok, one more:

"In Soviet Russia, you don't sing into SM58, it SINGS INTO YOU!"

Alright. I'm done now...

:p

Back