Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amp to get for marshall sound in a bed room setting

Thanks

Amp to get for marshall sound in a bed room setting

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am going to record a cover of Cliffs of Dover so that is the sound I am going for, I will mic up a marshall with an sm57 but somehow I fell a 100w marshall with a 4x12 is NOT the way to go as it will not give me the sound I want (because it will be too loud for a bedroom and if I have the master way down I just won't get the sound I want). Is a marshall plexi into a 1x12 cab feasible? Should I get a marshall combo amp to mic up? Do I have any idea what I am talking about? What amp do I get!?!?
    Last edited by ms1995; 03-05-2019 at 15:03.

Thanks
    What's your budget?

This is a kick-ass amp that will give you what you want (I own several Carol Ann amps).

Carol-Ann Amplifiers HS2
    CAROL-ANN HS-2 AMPS | Humbucker Music

Or you can go with this too if you want something that really has that Marshall look.

Head
    Carol-Ann British Series 67-18H 18 Watt Plexi Head | Humbucker Music
    Combo version
    Carol-Ann Amplifiers 18W Combo
    Carol-Ann British Series 67-18C 18 Watt Plexi Combo | Humbucker Music

Of course...there are all kinds of Marshall clones out there, and at much lower prices...but the Carol Ann amps are very high quality from one of the best amp builders around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The budget is not in question. And I am more concerned with the proper way to go about close micing amps in general. I know I want a marshall although I have heard great things about these Carol-Ann amps you mentioned. Mainly I want to know the feasability of using a 100 watt marshall to record in a bed room setting, like I feel like a 4x12 is overkill and in a small room won't get me the sound I want, but I also don't know if you can run a 100w marshall into 1x12 celestion speaker, I really just don't know if what I really need is a stack, or a smaller marshall combo amp is what I need? I understand for live playing you can mic up a 4x12 cab no problem, but what about within the confines of a small room in a public neighborhood? As much as I feel I need/want a marshall stack, I'm starting to think using an sm57 on a smaller marshall combo amp is gonna be the way to go. And again the only variable I am concerned with is getting the bassy-boosted-marshall-strat-eric-johnsony sound in a small room

Thanks
    As you shop around for options, take a look at a good load box and/or attenuator. I'm using a Two Notes Torpedo Reload as my daily driver, and it's been a life-saver. I moved from a soundproof basement studio to a small studio/office in a densely populated neighborhood. I just can't crank up my 50W JCM800 any more. So I run the amp into the Torpedo, line out to an interface, then use a speaker sim VST to emulate the cabinet/mic/room. I think the results are pretty astounding, and it's completely silent (except for the strings of the guitar and the fizzy sound the load box makes). I could also use the attenuator of the Torpedo to run to a real cabinet, but honestly the Wall Of Sound VST does a good enough job that I don't even bother any more.

I saw that Universal Audio released the OX, which is at the high end of the price spectrum. And Two Notes has the Captor at the lower end of the range.

Anyways, it's another option to consider in your quest for big tone in a small room.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok great I will def look into load boxes and attenuators. As for amp simulation part of me feels like micing up the amp is the only way to go, for whatever reason I feel like a direct signal with amp simulation will just be missing something (but then again I have exactly 0 experience recording so I'm also talking out my ass).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ms1995 View Post
    Ok great I will def look into load boxes and attenuators. As for amp simulation part of me feels like micing up the amp is the only way to go, for whatever reason I feel like a direct signal with amp simulation will just be missing something (but then again I have exactly 0 experience recording so I'm also talking out my ass).
    I'm with you there. I'm not a fan of amp sims (although I've heard a few that have wowed me). But speaker sims, on the other hand, can be pretty darned convincing. You let your actual amp do it's thing, but instead of feeding it into a speaker cabinet, you let the cab sim VST do the filtering.

I'd still rather be shaking the walls with a cabinet and real speakers pushing air but alas, it's not in the cards for me in my current space. I miss controlled feedback and the raw power of a cabinet, but using a load box and a cab sim VST has actually been a very good substitute.

It may or may not be right for your tastes, but I can say that it can yield some very good results.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    TBH...and this is my opinion from using attenuators (I've got 3 of them in my studio for different wattages)...they can be great with higher wattage amps where you just want to shave off some of the level in order to get more amp drive, but when you push them, they will "mush" out the tone, plus, most tend to impart some of their own tone on the signal from the amp or they suck some of yours away. Sometimes you can compensate for that with some EQ shaping.

Not saying don't bother...just that don't be surprised if the result is different from what you could do with just the amp.

Also, if you have a 100W Marshall that you like to crank in order to get your sound...you can also try just sticking the cab in a clothes closet...put a mic in front of it, close the door and crank away.

Otherwise, a lower wattage amp might be a good option if you want a regular bedroom-use amp, where you can just turn it on and get the desired tones at lower levels...but IMO, you never get exactly the same tones that can come from a cranked 50/100W amp into a cab, pushing some air...but that may not always be critical in many recording situations were those differences are not going to be as obvious in the final mix.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    This conundrum has been thrashed about ever since peeps got home recording!
    The bottom line is, for all sorts of electronic, physical and psycho acoustical reasons you cannot (quite) duplicate a rip snorting 100W stack at lower volume.

And VOLUME is the key point here. You say the 100watter will be "too loud" in a bedroom. Why? Social reasons? If so, i.e. you are upsetting folks then you are on a hiding to nothing because even ONE watt into a decent guitar 12 will produce 100dB SPL and that's 'king loud! Of course, in your particular circumstances you might be able to run at 100dB for certain times of the day but if you KNOW people are being bothered it cramps yer style!

As for a 100W 1X12"? Yes there are several 100W Celestion drive units but many guitarists don't care for their sound compared to a V30 or Green back. The 60W Creamback seem to get universal approval and IF you are careful would be safe on a 100W amp. I don't suggest it. Speakers should be rated at least 50% over stated amp power but Cellies are tough and so long as you don't got for massive overdrive a 60 watt speaker should live. Your hearing is another matter however!

Dave.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ms1995 View Post
    I also don't know if you can run a 100w marshall into 1x12 celestion speaker,
    Check the resistances. The speaker and amp should both list what resistance they run at (4 ohms or 8 ohms or whatever). If they match, you're good to go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    Check the resistances. The speaker and amp should both list what resistance they run at (4 ohms or 8 ohms or whatever). If they match, you're good to go.
    Well not quite. Yes the impedances should be roughly the same as set on the amplifier but if you ran a 100W valve amp into a 25W Greenback it would be in serious danger. Even a speaker rated AT 100W is not completely safe because almost all 100W valve stages can deliver 30 or 40 W over that figure (depends on mains volts) and a few, including certain Marshall models can hit twice rated power if you drive the tits off them.

My suggestion of the 60W rated Creamback is based on two factors.
    1) Celestion power ratings are conservative (even the Greeny would last quite a while!) and the Creamback has already earned a reputation for toughness.

2) Even 60W in a bedroom into a 100dB/W/mtr speaker is 'king loud! Around 120dB and I doubt peeps could stand it for long.

Dave.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information