Using multiple USB hubs

Dans Klimkowski

Hi I am in the process of expanding my studio and want to make sure that it won’t cause any computer problems or electrical hazards. Could you please help?

I already have two 14 port USB hubs and now I want to add one more USB hubs so that I can use more ports for midi controllers and webcams. I am wondering if there would be any issue to use 3 USB hubs simultaneously. My mac has 4 USB slots, so i could have all three plugged into the mac at once, but want to make sure that i don’t make any harmful mistake and that theres no risk of damaging the computer, devices, usb hubs, or causing any electrical/fire hazards by using 3 hubs at one time.

This is the USB Hub that I use for all the hubs: Amazon.com Page Not Found

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with the latest OS.

So is this a bad idea for any reason? Or is it safe to use all three?

Thanks, Dan

Hi,
You won't break or damage anything but there are two main things to consider.
Power requirements and data bandwidth.

Keeping it simple, I could connect four (4 port) hubs to four computer ports and have 16 mains powered printers and probably never see an issue,
but If I connected 16 bus powered HDDs the same way, the computer will just cut them off and say "A USB port is drawing too much power".

With that in mind I'd recommend either knowing and balancing the power requirements, or simply buying mains powered USB hubs.
I'd go with the latter..always.

For bandwidth, as I say, it really depends what you're using.
Printers, mice, keyboards, midi controllers etc don't use much bandwidth. Webcams probably do, although I'm not 100% certain.

USB hard drives and audio interfaces do so I'd give them their own port direct to the computer, then run all the extra stuff from hubs.
If firewire or thunderbolt is an option for HDDS/AIs then that's even better, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Bottom line - It's safe but it may or may not work. :)

Back