[SOLVED] Used Mackie 24.8 as a temporary mixer

jeden

Hi,

I'm building up a home recording studio, just for my own pleasure, as I like to compose music, play drums, bass guitar, etc.

I have a Behringer X1222 mixer, which has served me quite well, until I decided to do drum recording - I ran out of mic inputs the same moment as I decided about recording drums.

So I need to upgrade. After a lot of research, I found out that what best fits with my needs (well, ok, maybe I should say the one that I like, but probably I don't need) is the new Presonus StudioLive 32, 3rd edition. But it's quite expensive, I don't think I can afford to buy one until next year.

So I am looking for a temporary solution. Ideally, I'd want a mixer with multi track recording, via USB. There are several solutions (Behringer Xair 18, StudioLive AR16, Soundcraft UI24r), but I wouldn't call them inexpensive. So I've started looking at the "used" market. And I came across a guy selling a Mackie 24.8. I know, it's not a digital mixer, it doesn't even have a USB interface. But I found it fascinating, for several reasons:

- it's an old-style full analog mixer
- it's got 8 buss
- plenty of inputs channels
- each channel has a direct output
- there's a lot of routing and mixing stuff to experience with and learn
- at some point, I could buy a digital A/D-D/A interface, and connect to my mac for multi track recording

and I guess a lot more.

The guy is selling it for around $350, including the meter bridge, but it's got a few issues:

- some gain and EQ knobs creak
- 2 or 3 channels have a weaker signal
- sometimes a vu meter is stuck, showing a stronger signal

Besides that, all sliders and channels (taking the above issues into account) work well.

What do you guys think? Should I buy it? Is it a good purchase?

Hi there,
Welcome to the forums!

I suppose the first question to ask is 'do you need a mixer'?

There's plenty of reasons to have one and plenty of reasons not to,
but a lot of people go mixer shopping before all else just because they think it's needed.

Tell us more! :)

I suppose the first question to ask is 'do you need a mixer'?

There's plenty of reasons to have one and plenty of reasons not to,
but a lot of people go mixer shopping before all else just because they think it's needed.

Tell us more! :)

Well, I already have one mixer, and it's already full. 6 mics for the drums, and 2 stereo line inputs. And I already have several other mics I would like to use for drum recording. Plus I have a guitar, a bass guitar, a keyboard and a synth, a couple vocal mics, another mac, iPhone, iPad... am I forgetting anything? Probably yes.

Note that I'm a "one man" band :] I never play 2 instruments at once (how could I?), so I need multi track recording for the drums only. And, actually, multi track recording is not urgent - what I want to spend more time on is using more mics, first of all a dedicated one for each of the 5 toms, then experiment with an external compressor, and so forth.

The next, natural, step would be multi track recording. Presumably I wouldn't need more than 8 tracks, so I could buy an inexpensive audio interface in a near future and, from the mixer perspective, use it as a tape recorder.

Well, I already have one mixer, and it's already full. 6 mics for the drums, and 2 stereo line inputs.

Hey,
I understand that but I mean is it routing and mixing, or is it serving as a super elaborate audio interface.

Note that I'm a "one man" band :] I never play 2 instruments at once (how could I?), so I need multi track recording for the drums only. And, actually, multi track recording is not urgent - what I want to spend more time on is using more mics, first of all a dedicated one for each of the 5 toms, then experiment with an external compressor, and so forth.

The next, natural, step would be multi track recording. Presumably I wouldn't need more than 8 tracks, so I could buy an inexpensive audio interface in a near future and, from the mixer perspective, use it as a tape recorder.

Hey, fair enough. If hardware processing and different routing options is important then a mixer based set up is a fair enough way forward.
I just always feel the need to check for certain because so many people need a mixer because 'studios have mixers'.

Hopefully some of our analog guys can talk to you about that Mackie! Stick around. :)
[MENTION=51088]Bobbsy[/MENTION] [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION]

If you need inputs, why not. I dunno the market pricing, but I just paid that for 10 xlr on a new behringer. My interface is 8x8 and the 8 regular mixer ch have direct, though I like buss outs

As long as you are using the Mackie as a temporary solution, it will be fine. However, you will need an interface that has as many inputs as you have mics recording at one time. (9, with kick, snare, stereo overheads and 5 toms) if you ditched one of the toms, or have the two floor toms share a Mic, you could get away with an 8 channel interface.

However, if the cost of the mixer and interface and cabling and outboard compression and outboard effects starts to get up there in the range of the presonus, it will be a waste of time, effort and money.

Don't rule out the Behringer digital board. I had one for a while and I really liked it better than the original presonus digital boards (I used both when they first came out 4 years ago)

As long as you are using the Mackie as a temporary solution, it will be fine. However, you will need an interface that has as many inputs as you have mics recording at one time. (9, with kick, snare, stereo overheads and 5 toms) if you ditched one of the toms, or have the two floor toms share a Mic, you could get away with an 8 channel interface.

I've been thinking about grouping the toms to a stereo channel, then with overheads, snare, kick and hi-hat I still have one spare input for the 8 channel interface, which I could use for an additional drum mic (snare bottom, room, etc.), or just leave for other purposes

However, if the cost of the mixer and interface and cabling and outboard compression and outboard effects starts to get up there in the range of the presonus, it will be a waste of time, effort and money.

The only thing that's missing is the number of channels, i.e. the mixer :] I already own everything else.

Don't rule out the Behringer digital board. I had one for a while and I really liked it better than the original presonus digital boards (I used both when they first came out 4 years ago)

Are you talking about the X32?

I just retired my 24-8 for a QU-16. The mackie is a very versatile board, +/- mackie's typical well known ribbon etc problems (Last recording gig with it here.. did a 'bang bang on it to revive the band's Mix-B phones mix grins..
I'm not sure what if much at all I might get for it? A few hundred they seem to go for. Certainly not worth shipping.

Hi,

I'm building up a home recording studio, just for my own pleasure, as I like to compose music, play drums, bass guitar, etc.

I have a Behringer X1222 mixer, which has served me quite well, until I decided to do drum recording - I ran out of mic inputs the same moment as I decided about recording drums.

So I need to upgrade. After a lot of research, I found out that what best fits with my needs (well, ok, maybe I should say the one that I like, but probably I don't need) is the new Presonus StudioLive 32, 3rd edition. But it's quite expensive, I don't think I can afford to buy one until next year.

So I am looking for a temporary solution. Ideally, I'd want a mixer with multi track recording, via USB. There are several solutions (Behringer Xair 18, StudioLive AR16, Soundcraft UI24r), but I wouldn't call them inexpensive. So I've started looking at the "used" market. And I came across a guy selling a Mackie 24.8. I know, it's not a digital mixer, it doesn't even have a USB interface. But I found it fascinating, for several reasons:

- it's an old-style full analog mixer
- it's got 8 buss
- plenty of inputs channels
- each channel has a direct output
- there's a lot of routing and mixing stuff to experience with and learn
- at some point, I could buy a digital A/D-D/A interface, and connect to my mac for multi track recording

and I guess a lot more.

The guy is selling it for around $350, including the meter bridge, but it's got a few issues:

- some gain and EQ knobs creak
- 2 or 3 channels have a weaker signal
- sometimes a vu meter is stuck, showing a stronger signal

Besides that, all sliders and channels (taking the above issues into account) work well.

What do you guys think? Should I buy it? Is it a good purchase?

To the original poster.
Check out a channel on youtube called "loudbox music" (sorry dont know how to add a link on my phone but it's easy enough to type two words :) )

Anyway he has a Behringer mixer which is pretty much a clone of the Mackie. He has a bunch of vids about use, routing and incoperating it into a daw set up. In essence he's running a full hybrid set up. Check it out and come to a conclusion if it's for you or not.

Personally I like having an analog board and using it with a daw, but I also NEED an analog board since I also use tape. An analog desk has its limits especially in the area of recall.

I think if I didn't have a 16 track, I might not have an analog console at all, but some kind of control surface to get some 'hands on tactile' feel.

My own personal opinion on the Mackie is not very high. For one, I'm not fond of the preamps, or the build quality.

My old tascam m520 is still perfect after all these years and easy to maintain. I also like the bit of color of the preamps and the eq.

They (mackie) were a great versatile board when they came out because they made a semi pro desk that a home recordist could afford.
But to do that, construction and ease of maintenence suffered.

Anyway check out the guys videos, at least you'll be able to figure out if that kind of workflow is right for you.

I never used one but the Mackie 24-8 had a pretty good reputation in it's day. The faults don't sound too disastrous and, if you're good with a screw driver you might be able to fix at least some of them. The crackling (I assume that't what you mean by creak) could likely be fixed with a liberal spray of circuit cleaner as might the faders an VU meter. Your trouble will be getting in to access the gain and EQ pots. From memory you'll find you have to take off every single knob on the mixer to get inside.

As others have said, the other downside is that you'll have to by an interface that can serve the number of channels you need anyway--and that will add lot to the price, perhaps taking you into new mixer territory if you want 24 channels or even 16.

I'm personally NOT a fan of the Presonus digital mixers...they're missing some features taken for granted in digital mixers, hence the price. I'd second the suggestion of the Behringer x32 if you want a digital. Forget any bad things you heard about past Behringer issues...the x32 was a game changer.

Or, in the analogue world, have a look at the Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK. They cost about $1200 here in Aus so it'll be less in American dollars. That $1200 will give you excellent pre amps, lots of Auxes...and 22 channels into your computer without any extra hardware. I suspect that if you add the $350 and 16 or 24 channels of A to D into your computer, you'll be pretty close to the Soundcraft new price.

The Mackie 8 bus mixers are on a single circuit board, not an individual board for every channel. They are too much trouble to fix because of that.

Yes, the x-32

The X32 has been in my shortlist, either the full version (as an alternative to the Presonus), or the producer as a temporary one. What I don't actually like about it is that it has no line input. How do you deal with that?

To the original poster.
Check out a channel on youtube called "loudbox music" (sorry dont know how to add a link on my phone but it's easy enough to type two words :) )

Actually I watched that video series a couple months ago, and I watched again yesterday morning :). I really liked the video, the process, the color that the analog adds compared to the digital mix (there's another video about that)

I never used one but the Mackie 24-8 had a pretty good reputation in it's day. The faults don't sound too disastrous and, if you're good with a screw driver you might be able to fix at least some of them. The crackling (I assume that't what you mean by creak) could likely be fixed with a liberal spray of circuit cleaner as might the faders an VU meter. Your trouble will be getting in to access the gain and EQ pots. From memory you'll find you have to take off every single knob on the mixer to get inside.

Yeah I meant crackling :-].
I could do a circuit cleanup, what's lacking is just time... something to take into account if I decide to buy that board - I might even wait for another deal, now I know a little more and I have at least another mixer in my list (the Behringer MX9000, which looks very similar)

As others have said, the other downside is that you'll have to by an interface that can serve the number of channels you need anyway--and that will add lot to the price, perhaps taking you into new mixer territory if you want 24 channels or even 16.

The problem here is not the total cost, but how much I can spend today. Max $500, so my options are limited. I can wait a couple months and spend $1000, and in that case my choice would probably fall on a Soundcraft UI24r (remote controlled digital mixer) - solution that I like a lot, except for the missing "touchable" part.

I'm personally NOT a fan of the Presonus digital mixers...they're missing some features taken for granted in digital mixers, hence the price. I'd second the suggestion of the Behringer x32 if you want a digital. Forget any bad things you heard about past Behringer issues...the x32 was a game changer.

As mentioned in a reply above, what I don't like of the x32 is the lack of line inputs...

Or, in the analogue world, have a look at the Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK. They cost about $1200 here in Aus so it'll be less in American dollars. That $1200 will give you excellent pre amps, lots of Auxes...and 22 channels into your computer without any extra hardware. I suspect that if you add the $350 and 16 or 24 channels of A to D into your computer, you'll be pretty close to the Soundcraft new price.

I considered that mixer, but, although offering "the best of both worlds", I think in the end that happens with a lot of compromises.

The Mackie 8 bus mixers are on a single circuit board, not an individual board for every channel. They are too much trouble to fix because of that.

Yeah I thought the same. But for my price tag I presume I won't find anything more "modular" :)
However, since I already know that the mixer I would want to buy has some problems, I should ask myself: am I wanting to take the risk? If it's just about spray-cleaning, probably yes. But I can't figure that out unless I actually buy it....

Regarding line inputs to the x32, the mixer has six line level Aux inputs. If you need more, the preamps on the XLR inputs have enough range that, turned down, they'll handle Line level happily.

FYI, when you get closer to pro grade equipment, it's not uncommon to find all inputs on XLR. My venerable Yamaha DM1000 has all inputs and outputs on XLR, though on this one there's a switchable 20dB pad rather than a continuous control. However, over the years I've had supposed line level coming in so low that I didn't use the pad...and once or twice had a mic so hot that I put the pad on it!

The X32 has been in my shortlist, either the full version (as an alternative to the Presonus), or the producer as a temporary one. What I don't actually like about it is that it has no line input. How do you deal with that?

Turn the gain all the way down and it will accept line level signals. It just doesn't have a separate jack for line input, but the XLR will handle line level.

Actually I watched that video series a couple months ago, and I watched again yesterday morning :). I really liked the video, the process, the color that the analog adds compared to the digital mix (there's another video about that)

Good analog equipment will add desirable color. The Mackie, and other analog gear in that range will not. Mackies tend toward being a little shrill sounding when pushed.

It's also good to note that the Mackie 8 bus mixers do not work at +4 or -10, their nominal level is somewhere between. This means that if you are running a +4 signal into it, you will not have as much headroom as you think, which is why the boards got a reputation for being a little shrill sounding. Too many people were pushing the levels beyond where the board was clean.

Back