USB Audio Interface Problems

CBowling

Hey guys!

Wasn't sure where the best place was to post this was so I figured I'd do it here.

I have a Tascam US-1800 and have for about 4-5 years now. Love the unit. However, recently I've had some problems with it.

I use the Tascam as my main sound device on my PC, so not only do I record with it, but I watch youtube videos, listen to music, and play games all through it (is this normal? Will me constantly using it have a detrimental affect on the life of the unit)?

Either way, I've noticed that recently the Tascam starts to stutter, distory, pop, click, and sometimes drop sound alltogether, often times desyncing videos or dropping all sound from games (sometimes crashing them). I have to turn the unit off and then back on again for me to resolve the issue, but it is becoming more and more frequent. I almost wonder if it has to do with my Windows 10 upgrade I did about 3 months back.

EIther way, here are some system specs too.

Ram: 24 GB DDR3
CPU: i7 4970k

Any other info you might need, just let me know! I did upgrade to the most recent Tascam driver (2.5.4, which came out in August of 2014) but that has not resolved the issue.

Thanks again for any help!

Best,
CB

Hi,
This page lists a version 2.05 dated Dec 2014. Have you tried that?

It doesn't state if it's 32 or 64. I'd guess both since previous versions have it stated in the file name.

Aye. That's the version I have. I actually don't know where August came from, but definitely 2014 was in my head.

I think it is down to the OP's puny CPU and negligible ram.....

J.O.K.E!!

Seriously, COULD be a heat induced effect in the AI, try blasting it with a hair dryer set to cold when the problem starts. I am always surprised that people only seem to have one computer around? I am very lucky I suppose in that I have 4 (this HP lappy W7 two more 7 dtops and a W10 DT I don't seem to have time to sit at)

I would urge everyone to buy a W7 "junker" you don't need much grunt just to prove out that Tascam say.

Dave.

Ha! Surprisingly it seems to mainly happen when there is slightly higher CPU load than normal. Not sure if there is just a mixture of it not playing well with Windows 10 + hyperthreading or what, but yeah. Debating on selling her and getting a Focusrite 18i20 instead.

I think it is down to the OP's puny CPU and negligible ram.....

J.O.K.E!!

Seriously, COULD be a heat induced effect in the AI, try blasting it with a hair dryer set to cold when the problem starts. I am always surprised that people only seem to have one computer around? I am very lucky I suppose in that I have 4 (this HP lappy W7 two more 7 dtops and a W10 DT I don't seem to have time to sit at)

I would urge everyone to buy a W7 "junker" you don't need much grunt just to prove out that Tascam say.

Dave.

Also, the main thing is I do have a laptop, but the PC is my main computer and I use the Tascam as the main audio device for my PC (like, I have no speakers, I just listen to everything through headphones on my Tascam).

Last edited:
Is there a control panel with that tascam software which will let you set buffer sizes for system use?
If so, turn 'em up. :)

I have the same issue - and it is worse on Windows 10, than 7, which even with a very fast processor and lots of RAM does this. I've not got to the bottom of it, but I'm beginning to get the impression that it's hard drive access time - which has never been a problem before. It is worse when the drive has not been accessed for a short while - pressing play gives me a glitch perhaps 20% of the time, but going back to take 2 goes flawlessly. It's also worse I have noticed when I have lots of sample players active - even when these samples are on a different drive. I have the faster drives internal on the faster SATA headers too. It could be the driver, but not sure. My latest, super fast, large RAM computer is actually no better than it's slower predecessor. The only other change being windows 10 - but this machine has not had an earlier OS on it. Something is happening, just not sure exactly what?

One thing I was noticing on mine, I was using a USB card reader and was getting noise out of my speakers (not a lot, but some). Might not be the problem, but it is an easy check if it is some kind of USB interference going on.

It is a stretch, but ...

I have the same issue - and it is worse on Windows 10, than 7, which even with a very fast processor and lots of RAM does this. I've not got to the bottom of it, but I'm beginning to get the impression that it's hard drive access time - which has never been a problem before. It is worse when the drive has not been accessed for a short while - pressing play gives me a glitch perhaps 20% of the time, but going back to take 2 goes flawlessly. It's also worse I have noticed when I have lots of sample players active - even when these samples are on a different drive. I have the faster drives internal on the faster SATA headers too. It could be the driver, but not sure. My latest, super fast, large RAM computer is actually no better than it's slower predecessor. The only other change being windows 10 - but this machine has not had an earlier OS on it. Something is happening, just not sure exactly what?

I am both relieved and upset to hear that a similar issue is with another user and this sort of tells me that my upgrading to Windows 10 was the primary issue. The unit has lived out a decent life (4-5 years now) but I would rather like to keep her AND Windows 10 vs downgrading. But, if need be, maybe it's time for me to jump to a Focusrite.

I am both relieved and upset to hear that a similar issue is with another user and this sort of tells me that my upgrading to Windows 10 was the primary issue. The unit has lived out a decent life (4-5 years now) but I would rather like to keep her AND Windows 10 vs downgrading. But, if need be, maybe it's time for me to jump to a Focusrite.

I have 10 and the 1800, I have no issues other than the one I stated. I use it on a laptop and a desktop with no issues. But each unit is for audio only.

What I just tried to do was to go under USB Management and to uncheck the option for the computer to turn off the USB Hub when under load. That might do the trick. We'll see.

I hope it is something that can be resolved DM60. The unit hasn't given me much issue until the past month or so. It's become increasingly worse it seems.

I have given advice from these guys often. They tend to keep up with advice because they give a shit and sell stuff. But I myself have not moved to W10 and do not plan to screw up what works for me now.

Have a look HERE.

What I just tried to do was to go under USB Management and to uncheck the option for the computer to turn off the USB Hub when under load. That might do the trick. We'll see.

I hope it is something that can be resolved DM60. The unit hasn't given me much issue until the past month or so. It's become increasingly worse it seems.

One thing you may want to do, is go back in and rework Win10 with similar settings that you had in Win7. At least check them all. When Win10 installs, it pretty much wipes out all of the original Win7 settings. and it does that for updates as well. If you get it stable and then it acts up again, go back and check your settings.

Most of the core OS is from Win7, Win10 is mainly GUI make over and a few other items added, but the core should be close to the same. That is why very few (if any) released new drivers, just certified them working in Win10.

Back