Trouble with MIDI input from piano keyboard [REAPER]

lepardman

Hello, I'm having issues with my setup.

Info:
Using latest version Reaper (5.97)
Windows 10
Technics Digital SX-PX222

I've watched tons of videos and looked at plenty of posts and can't seem to figure it out.

The problem:
Reaper recognizes the MIDI (I think?) but no input comes through. When I hit keys on my piano keyboard, not MIDI signal is transmitted because no red line jumps in the track monitor and no sound comes through.

Here are my Reaper / MIDI settings:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Any help is appreciated!

How are you connecting the Technics to the computer (PC?) According to the manual, P22 says you need an RS-232 cable type sz-jjat1 and there is a switch to get in the right position.

I doubt in fact you are using that cable so you must be going through the DIN ports of an interface. Which one and have you installed the latest drivers for it?

Dave.

How are you connecting the Technics to the computer (PC?) According to the manual, P22 says you need an RS-232 cable type sz-jjat1 and there is a switch to get in the right position.

I doubt in fact you are using that cable so you must be going through the DIN ports of an interface. Which one and have you installed the latest drivers for it?

Dave.

I believe this to be the piano in question.....
Technics - Digital piano (model SX-PX222) (SOLD) | Menchey Music

Attachments

• file-7.jpeg
    file-7.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello, I'm having issues with my setup.

Info:
Using latest version Reaper (5.97)
Windows 10
Technics Digital SX-PX222

I've watched tons of videos and looked at plenty of posts and can't seem to figure it out.

The problem:
Reaper recognizes the MIDI (I think?) but no input comes through. When I hit keys on my piano keyboard, not MIDI signal is transmitted because no red line jumps in the track monitor and no sound comes through.

Here are my Reaper / MIDI settings:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Any help is appreciated!
The MIDI that you're sending into Reaper is only 'data' and no audio, so by itself no sound will be generated or recorded. You can record the MIDI data in Reaper and then send it back to the piano or if you have a VST instrument 'loaded' into Reaper you could play it from the computer or through a USB audio interface (you didn't mention if you have an interface which may be how you're connecting the MIDI(?)).

These VST's show as 'free'.....
VST 4 FREE -
Piano & Strings Plug-ins

Adding a VST to Reaper....
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-add-a-new-vst-to-reaper

I have a Technic SX-PX 554, which has the same back panel as that of the Technics show in the pic above^.

I use a midi cable to go from midi out on the Technics to midi in on an interface.

What would be of great help is telling us how you are connected from the Technics to your computer.

The fact that you are not getting the red line means that Reaper is not seeing any signal coming in.

The MIDI that you're sending into Reaper is only 'data' and no audio, so by itself no sound will be generated or recorded. You can record the MIDI data in Reaper and then send it back to the piano or if you have a VST instrument 'loaded' into Reaper you could play it from the computer or through a USB audio interface (you didn't mention if you have an interface which may be how you're connecting the MIDI(?)).

These VST's show as 'free'.....
VST 4 FREE -
Piano & Strings Plug-ins

Adding a VST to Reaper....
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-add-a-new-vst-to-reaper
Yeah I had a VST loaded to test, but it still wasn't getting any data. In my screenshot if you look, I have the "FX" enabled as a VST Cocko Drum or something just to test input.
I am connecting the MIDI output from my keyboard directly to the USB on my laptop.

I have a Technic SX-PX 554, which has the same back panel as that of the Technics show in the pic above^.

I use a midi cable to go from midi out on the Technics to midi in on an interface.

What would be of great help is telling us how you are connected from the Technics to your computer.

The fact that you are not getting the red line means that Reaper is not seeing any signal coming in.
I have a MIDI --> USB. I also have a 4x4 Tascam Interface.

Should I download drivers or something so Reaper will recognize the MIDI from the USB on my laptop?
Or should I buy a MIDI --> XLR cable and plug into my interface?

Thanks for all the help!

By the look of the pix you provided, Reaper can see the USB midi input.

With your midi cable to USB, does it have two DIN connectors on the non-USB end? If so, try swapping them around.

Also, on the back panel of the keyboard there is a little slider switch that has a number of options, inlcuding 'midi' at its left most position. Make sure that the swithc is set to midi. This actually may have nothing to do with the actual midi output. I'm just going by my settings.

MIDI to XLR you won;t get and it wouldn't work. Midi is data, not audio.

"MIDI to XLR you won;t get" In fact, since MIDI uses the DIN connector which they pinched from German audio there MIGHT be an XLR to DIN audio cable around!

Still won't work for MIDI of course.

Dave.

By the look of the pix you provided, Reaper can see the USB midi input.

With your midi cable to USB, does it have two DIN connectors on the non-USB end? If so, try swapping them around.

Also, on the back panel of the keyboard there is a little slider switch that has a number of options, inlcuding 'midi' at its left most position. Make sure that the swithc is set to midi. This actually may have nothing to do with the actual midi output. I'm just going by my settings.

MIDI to XLR you won;t get and it wouldn't work. Midi is data, not audio.

Yes, it has a MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. Here is the cable I bought:
Amazon.com: USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable Converter, LiDiVi Professional Piano Keyboard to PC/Laptop/Mac MIDI Adapter Cord for Home Music Studio - 6.5Ft: Musical Instruments

I tried switching the DIN connectors but no luck.
I also switched the slider to the left "MIDI" position, no luck.

Yes, it has a MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. Here is the cable I bought:
Amazon.com: USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable Converter, LiDiVi Professional Piano Keyboard to PC/Laptop/Mac MIDI Adapter Cord for Home Music Studio - 6.5Ft: Musical Instruments

I tried switching the DIN connectors but no luck.
I also switched the slider to the left "MIDI" position, no luck.

There's a note in the Amazon description.... "▲▲▲Attention: This USB 2.0 to MIDI cable is NOT compatible with USB 3.0 devices". Any chance you're in a USB3.0 port on the computer?

A simpler option may be to just use the Tascam. Get a MIDI cable, and go from midi out on piano to midi in on Tascam.

Back