Total beginner--want to record acoustic guitar and vocals...

dumesday

I have a guitar, a laptop, and am getting Sonar X1 Essential. So obviously I need at least 1 mic and I don't know what else. Help--tell me what to get! I would like to spend less than $200 on everything, but would that be sacrificing too much in quality? I'd also ideally like to be able to use whatever mic I get for live performance too, but I don't know how compatible those things are. I'm a complete novice at this, so any advice you guys can give would be awesome. Thanks!

Hi there...

At minimum you'll need a USB audio interface (get 2 channels as a starter) and a microphone - assuming your guitar has a pickup, you can use your microphone to pick up the main sound and the pickup (which tends to sound gnarly on its own) to add to it..

Can you do it for $200? Depends upon the quality you're after. If you want decent quality I'd suggest that you perhaps save a bit more...

There are a million threads in this section about this topic. Do some reading.

Just some thoughts....

* what you want to do will be tough for $200 total. I like Armistice's advice - save more.
* you do need some sort of interface to plug the mic and guitar into... there are some cheap ones out there. Check out M-Audio and Cakewalk V-Studio 20.
* do you want to record vocal and guitar separately? That's typical. One mic could work, but the majority of decent acoustic guitar recordings are done with 2 small diaphragm condensor mics. There is a ton of info about micing acoustics on the internet. You can use a single large diaphragm mic ... that's what you'll want for vocals, anyway. Results on acoustic guitar are different than with 2 SDC's.
* recording the direct output from an acoustic guitar's built in electronics is usually very un-acoustic-like. Some might even say "gnarly." You won't want to record that way for very long.
* built in acoustic guitar electronics DO work well in a live setting. So, one large diaphragm condensor for vocals and the built in electronics will be fine for live. Take a look at the Rode NT1-A and do a comparison to other mics like it. There are cheaper mics, but it's one that produces pretty good results for the money.

The road to producing satisfying recordings at home is a long, frustrating and (hopefully) satisfying one. It takes a LOT of research, a steep learning curve and making some purchasing mistakes along the way. From a gear standpoint, it can easily become a black hole for your money.

Some other things people don't realize they need until they begin assembling a home studio... decent headphones that don't "leak" sound that will bleed into other tracks as you record, mic stand(s), XLR and 1/4" cables, effects (either plugins or hardwware), reference monitors. Ah... the list goes on.

Starting out, you can use a Shure SM57 and an M Audio Fast Track.

That's $220 new from Sweetwater. You might be able to find one or the other used and get under $200 total. Note you'll need a mic stand and a cable, too - that's another $30-$40 total.
Yes, you could wait, save some money and get a higher-end interface and a condensor mic, but starting out, this will get you going.
You'll need headphones, and monitor speakers, too, but you can get away with an inexpensive set of headphones to start. It's all about learning - and having fun. Some folks here are so serious abut their recording they forget its supposed to be fun creating/playing music, too.

$200 worth of sm57 and some kinda interface will be your first step in finding out that you really wanted to spend almost $1,000! :D

Your first $200 will let you do some recording and help you make decisions about how you want to really set yourself up. Hopefuly you won't become frustrated with the limitations of your first purchases. Ya gotta start somewhere, right?

You'll start learning about mic placement, room treatments, effects, mixing a bunch of tracks into something pleasing to your ears. Hell, you might even decide you don't like your guitar anymore (once you've heard it recorded), and start shoppin' for a different one!

This hobby sucks, cause just like hot rods, motorsickles, and model airplanes...there's alternatives to EVERYTHING! :eek:

All study and no fun can putcha in a rutt before you even get going. So go ahead and grab a mic and record something. Just don't think you're gonna start cutting commercial class albums with your first new toys. Read reveiws and listen to other people's recordings before spending your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th "$200". :cool:

Reactions: apl
That was good stuff from mjb and Getagrip. If you knew now what you're likely to know in ten years and four months from now, you'd realize that your $200 is merely the first instalment of the price of an education.........
But it doesn't matter because the object of the lesson is "Express and enjoy".

Back