Tascam Porta02 vs. Tascam 244 MKIII

Knopfler Fan

I am very close to deciding on which recording gear to buy as my inaugural initiation into the recording world.

There is a new Tascam Porta02 for $250CDN and a used Tascam 244 MKIII for the same amount.

I have looked at Tascam's website and do not see the manual nor the specs for the 244MKIII.

My questions are as follows:

1) How easy or difficult is it to use the 244MKIII?
2) Given that the 244 is not even on Tascam's website, it is right to assume that this product is now obsolete?
3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two products?

Finally, if you were in my shoes, which one would you choose?

Thank you in advance.

KP

Knopfler Fan said:
... There is a new Tascam Porta02 for $250CDN and a used Tascam 244 MKIII for the same amount....

There never was a Tascam product called a 244 mkIII. There was a 244 (never had any "mk" after it), and there is now a 424 mkIII.

My questions are as follows:

1) How easy or difficult is it to use the 244MKIII?

Should be pretty easy to use (whether it's actually a 244 or a 424 mkIII).

2) Given that the 244 is not even on Tascam's website, it is right to assume that this product is now obsolete?

The 244 was the second portastudio ever made (after the 144), and it was made from 'round about 1984-86. It's old. I don't know that I'd necessarily call it "obsolete," though. Technologically, it's not a lot different from any other cassette Portastudio.

3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two products?

The main disadvantage of the 244 (if that's what it is) is that the specific unit is old. These weren't really built to last a long time. Even if it hasn't been used a lot, parts (esp. rubber parts) tend to deteriorate over time.

The Porta02 is a pretty minimal machine. The 244 would be better on features. But I don't know that I'd have a lot of confidence in the condition.

The 424 mkIII, if it's in good condition, would clearly be better than the Porta02.

Yo Fan of "da" Knoflers.

If I were you, I'd go for a Yamaha digital box. The new AW16 seems to be making lots of nice waves and the price is not that bad. It would put you in the digital world with the CDRW burner built in. This would save you lots of bucks on periphial gear.

The Yam 2816 [which I use and have come to love] and the 4416 are also good buys on today's market.

BUT, if I were you, I'd buy NOTHING until after New Year's Day. There will be MANY deals coming forth as the next generation of digital gear starts to nose out the current lot.

But, one must do what one must do. So, look it over, think, and go digital.

Green Hornet
PS If you like PC digital, you can do that too.
Above, I refer to the DAW on the market.:D :cool: :cool:

Take your time and shop more. You really need to consider more options. I you're new to multitracking, you gotta ask why you want to do it. If you have a PC, you can get started maybe even cheaper. Borrow what you can. Find someone in your area, look at good old fashsion bulletin boards around. You mentioned used, and that's a good start too. I just saw a Tascam portastudio in good shape for sale at a local shop for only $75. the original one with the big mixer section. even if that only lasts you 3 months, you get some idea of what you want out of a newer unit. Tell us more of what you want and why. Maybe some experts here can help you find what you really can get some value and mileage out of. I started with a Fostex x-15 and used it like crazy. then I got a Tascam 488, then a Sony mdmx4tkmkii-? and now a Foxtex MR-8 $299 - only a bit more than a cheap 4tk analog. I got too many, i bought on impulse, i wasted some bucks along the way. I also have a PC but no real good interface....

Thanks for the feedback. I am very new to this recording hobby. Other members on this board have suggested that I stay low tech for the time being. Analog recording may be out-dated, but the thought of digital recording and computers is a bit over-whelming.

The more that I am reading the manual on the 414 MKIII and the 424MKIII, the more I am interested in those than the Porta02. The "bouncing tracks" feature sounds awesome. Although at first I'll probably be recording just vocals and keyboards, I certainly like the flexibility of increasing to more than 4 instruments.

Is the 224 a step up to the Porta02? Which came first?

I swore the person on the phone told me he had a 224MKIII in his store. Maybe I heard wrong. Maybe it was a 424MKIII. At $250CDN, that would be a bargain!

KP

I'd venture to say it's probably a 424mkIII.

As I remember, the 424 was the only Portastudio that got up to "mk3". It has to be a 424mkIII, in all likelihood.

The 244, however, is one of the better Portastudio designs ever, and is a fine example of Portstudio technology. I'd have to disagree with the above post, in that Tascam Portastudios are built to last, especially the older ones probably more than the newer ones. Hey, everything gets old, and rubber parts can be replaced.

If you want the premium of 4-trackers, also check the 246, 464 and 644.

The 424mkIII is the most current and top-of-the-line Portastudio out there, and it's well above the Porta02 in every way.

Track bouncing is a technique that's of great utility to people with 4-trackers, and it's a very handy technique, but don't get overly optimistic about the potential of track bouncing, and what it means. For every track-bounce, you take a penalty in sound quality. It's great to bounce some parts behind others, and it's almost a must-have if you work alone, or have any higher number of parts you're trying to cram into your song, but taken to it's limit, as they say, "10 tracks on a 4-tracker by bouncing" is probably overly optimistic, and what you're likely to end up with will basically sound like mush, unless you're doing everything like a pro, at every step of the process. Better to stay with 4 strong tracks than end up with 10 mushy ones, is what I'd say.

Anyway, 4-track cassette Portastudios are fun, and you'll learn all about it very quickly. Cassette is an affordable medium that's easy to find and sounds fairly good, if used to it's fullest potential.

The 424mkIII is a good unit, for starters and more experienced recordists,... and so is the 244, it's just older, with slightly different features. Go surf Ebay for "Tascam". You'll get an eyeful over there.

Anyway, I have a 244, 246 and 424mkIII, among many other things. They're all great units. Tascam had their shit together when they designed the Portastudio, & basically started the whole Portastudio industry.

I don't think you can ever have too much gear.

Back