Sub Group output -TO- 8 track tape machine

AnalogDimitri

First post on this forum!

Anyways, I just got my hands on a 16 channel, 8 subgroup recording console. It's from a pretty unknown company, Aries. I actually got it from a teacher at my school, he was looking to get rid of it. It's in pretty good condition, everything works from what I've tested out. He also gave me the cables too, 8 RCA to 1/4 inch and 8 XLR to 2 RCA (one cord, one side XLR and 2 RCA males came out the other end, weird)

So here's my question, the output from the subgroup channel is an XLR out, and my tape machine only takes RCA inputs. How would I make that connection. Wouldn't there be some sort of loss going from balanced to unbalanced?

I plugged the subgroup output, XLR, into my studio monitor and it sounded just fine. Then when I plugged the XLR to RCA cord into my studio monitor, which had an RCA jack, it had a hum to it that wasn't present when it was plugged in with the XLR.

So the problem is definitely with the transfer method from the output of the subgroup to the input of the tape.
Please help! I'd love to get this going!

That's a great article from Rane that the link leads to--very informative. Thanks for that.

Yup that's my mixer! And don't cast a cent!

I fixed the problem BTW. I took a look at the wiring in the cables and almost all the ground connections were broken. So I spent a long time resold wrong everything! 16 RCA jacks and 8 1/4 inch

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciated it!

Back