Should i insert/send reverb on Snare top mic or on Snare Bus?

Gondola

I'm aiming for the 80's and early 90's hair metal sound.

So should i create a bus for the Snare and use the reverb on that or should i just use it with the top mic for that kind of sound?

I'm using Reaper and Superior Drummer 3.

Again...try it both ways.
I really don't think it's a question of reverb on top snare insert VS snare bus.
It's more a question of the reverb type/size/decay and how you dial it in...plus how it all sits relative to the rest of the track.

That said...
Since you're talking about a "top mic"...I assume you also have a bottom mic.
OK....but IMO, I would treat the whole snare as the snare. IOW, the combination of both top and bottom mics...and then treat that with the reverb, rather than dividing up the snare and putting reverb on top but not on bottom...but again, it's so easy to try it both ways and see what you like.

Also...don't just put it on the snare. You might be better off creating a drum bus...and then just putting the most of the reverb on the snare, but don't leave the rest of the kick completely dry....it will sound weird...but again, try it and see what you like best. :)

I usually run my entire kit out to a plate reverb using an Aux bus, and then add how much reverb I want per drum element, with the snare usually getting the lion's share...but I always add some to the rest of the kit elements too, so that the whole kit sounds like it's in the same space.

Again...try it both ways.
I really don't think it's a question of reverb on top snare insert VS snare bus.
It's more a question of the reverb type/size/decay and how you dial it in...plus how it all sits relative to the rest of the track.

That said...
Since you're talking about a "top mic"...I assume you also have a bottom mic.
OK....but IMO, I would treat the whole snare as the snare. IOW, the combination of both top and bottom mics...and then treat that with the reverb, rather than dividing up the snare and putting reverb on top but not on bottom...but again, it's so easy to try it both ways and see what you like.

Also...don't just put it on the snare. You might be better off creating a drum bus...and then just putting the most of the reverb on the snare, but don't leave the rest of the kick completely dry....it will sound weird...but again, try it and see what you like best. :)

I usually run my entire kit out to a plate reverb using an Aux bus, and then add how much reverb I want per drum element, with the snare usually getting the lion's share...but I always add some to the rest of the kit elements too, so that the whole kit sounds like it's in the same space.

Yeah i have a bottom mic too and i could actually hear the "crack" through the mix when i used the reverb on the top mic only. I ended up creating a Snare Bus from top and bottom mics and inserted a reverb on it. I had to switch the Tama Bell Brass out as it had a bottom crack sound that made the reverb go all over the place.

The snare with the reverb on top mic only sounded a bit phasey imo, with the Snare Bus now it sounds like a complete package.

So should i create a bus for the Snare and use the reverb on that or should i just use it with the top mic for that kind of sound?

Never thought about putting reverb on the snare bottom, always just the top and been happy with it. May try it out next mix.

Alan.

Didn't get all that much from the sample so I'll add a solution -suggestion, method, to consider;
Reverb's different sounds, besides which reveb and patch you choose of course..

Are the options in what you send it.

That's easy and obvious. But in this case and especially since you have 'snares to choose, you could for example keep the one snare, and use the other as the send to drive the reverb..

Back