Questions About Behringer Xenyx 502

lachlanjt99

I'm looking at getting a Behringer Xenyx 502 for mixing inputs and outputs from a few computers, not for recording. I want to have two stereo inputs (one from a desktop and one from a laptop). For the outputs I would like to have one going to speakers through the main output and one going to headphones. My question is will I be able to listen to both inputs through the headphone port and will there be any latency.

Thank you for your help.

Latency - no. Latency is a delay in what you hear compared to when the signal was generated, caused by processing time in the computer/software.

Please rethink your questions on listening- first sentence you want one computer's sound going to the speakers and the other to the headphones. Second sentence you want both going to the headphones.
The Xenyx 502 does not have separate send volume controls for 'control room' or fx send, so whatever is going through the main outputs is also what you'll hear in the headphones.

The only way I could see doing what I think you want to do with that mixer is using a stereo splitter cable/adapter to send the signal of one of the computers to both the speaker and the mixer. You could then listen to both computers on headphones through the mixer and balance the levels in the headphones with Level knob on each channel.

View attachment 95756

Well just a cotton pickin'....You can't drive a speaker from the line output of a PC/laptop.

OP will need a power amp of some sort after the split. That will surely be mains powered and earthed.
Hummm? Could get complicated.

Dave.

I assumed a powered speaker of sorts since he had thoughts of driving it originally with the mixer output, but then again assumptions can sometimes be amiss and you would then be correct regarding the need for a power amp :)

I think it dangerous to assume ANYTHING in forums, especially in the noob section!
Heh! Fair enough Mark, OP probably has an active speaker. Also it is likely he will be spared the hassle of hum loops but "we" see an awful lot of ground loop issues in these pages!

Dave.

Back