problems exporting from zoom h4n

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
so, i'm using the h4n in MTR (multi-track mode) and trying to get the WAV files containing the track data over to my Yamaha AW16G workstation.
problem is, the G will only eat 44.1/16-bit WAVs (imported thru the CD drive).
i've been all over the Zoom's manual, trying to figure out how to select bit rate and depth and it doesn't seem like it can be done in multi-track mode.
i can get the WAVs onto my computer ok. i imported them to audacity, though, to see what the deal was with them. they came up as 44.1/32-bit float (i don't even know what "float" means in this context).
i've been told that audacity can convert bit depth. however, when i do this and export the WAVs from audacity, i then reimport them just to check things out and they pop up as 32-bit-float again. needless to say, i have the same problem when i burn these new files onto a disc and try to get them into the G.
i've heard of software options (dbPoweramp, AA translator etc) that can convert files, but there must be an easier way.
also, to get the files onto my computer, i'm connecting it to a USB slot and selecting the STORAGE option. when i do this (i'm using Vista), a window pops up on my computer screen with auto-play options. i select "transfer music using Media Import", seemingly the most viable option. Roxio Media Import opens up and refuses to recognize the h4n, telling me there are "no devices available for this format (audio)". the zoom simulteneously opens up a screen reading "USB STORAGE" with a Zoom icon and a computer icon and 2 arrows flashing between them (generally indicating interaction between the Zoom and the computer. should those arrows be flashing?). the Zoom, then, is stuck on this screen until i physically disconnect the cable. there seems to be no way to navigate back out of it.
the only way i've found to export the WAVs from the Zoom, is to actually go into the Zoom, which comes up as a storage device on the explore menu, and burn the WAVs directly to a disc. this yields the results detailed above.
also, once i have the files in the computer, i've tried checking the properties tabs to get information on them. the properties tab does not display any rate/depth information except to show the files as 703 kb/s or something like that.
the Zoom itself has a file menu function, where it lists the WAVs comprising the individual tracks in the project (for example TRK1-00.wav, TRK2-00.wav, TRK3-00.wav, TRK4-00.wav for a 4-track recording with no additional virtual tracks). when a track is selected from this menu, a submenu opens up. one of the options is "information". selecting this displays name, date, format, size, and length of the file. when using the Zoom in "stereo" or "4ch" mode, the filetype, bit rate, and depth are listed under "format". in multi-track mode, which i have been using most frequently, only "MONO" appears under format.

anyone out there having insight into this particular thing, i sure would appreciate your help.
thanks.

Well, I don't claim to have geeked-out your problem yet, but I do know this- Multi-track format on the Zoom H4n *is* 16 bit/44.1kHz Wav.- that's the only format available in multitrack mode.-Richie

hmm. weird. am i exporting them the "right way"?
seems strange i have to go through so many steps to get the WAVs onto my computer...

When you hook up the usb, can you explore the Zoom drive from your computer and just copy the files over?

Once you get the tracks into the computer can you burn them onto a cd for your G to read?

^^ that's exactly what i've been doing with no results until just now.
apparently the G does not like finalized discs.
i burned one, didn't finalize it, and the G ate it no problem.
so... problem solved. damn that feels good.

thanks for the advice anyways, guys.

Just go through the headphone output into an analog input

I hope that's a joke, Darrin. Once we have run something through the H4n's pres and AD convertor to make a nice WAV. file, the last thing on Earth we want to do is convert it back to analog, and then give a SIAB's pres and convertor another crack at it.-Richie

I hope that's a joke, Darrin. Once we have run something through the H4n's pres and AD convertor to make a nice WAV. file, the last thing on Earth we want to do is convert it back to analog, and then give a SIAB's pres and convertor another crack at it.-Richie

Its a means to an end...It would be easier with my tascam to keep it in its original code...but with his unit I dont know if you can dump the tracks into a program like protools or not.

He could allways take the card out and put it in his computer and move his wave file that way...go out digital from his sound card to digital in...but Im unaware of his capabilities...the headphone thing is allways there and workable no matter what he is using.

Yes, the answer is you *can* dump it into Pro Tools, or Cubase, or Reaper, or Windows media player, or whatever. The H4n is a fully capable audio interface and can record to its card or direct to a computer. I don't know what the OP's computer issue is, but it has to have something to do with how his desktop is configured. I can dump WAV. files into a laptop from the H4n with pretty much a touch of a button. When you are dealing with relatively low quality preamps and convertors, you want to use them as little as possible. We are already marketing a short CD made with the Zoom unit, a stereo recording of the Known World Choir.
The physical conditions where the choir performs does not permit large scale recording. No electricity, for starters. I did the whole thing with the H4n and 2 C2000B's. We dumped the WAV. files right into the laptop in the field without a hitch.-Richie

I know the zoom can do that...but can the computer transfer back to the Yamaha via USB?...it does work with the tascam I have...but not the Akai.

^^ although the newer Yamahas feature USB connectivity, the G unfortunately doesn't.
the other problem with the headphone dump is that i want to keep all 4 Zoom tracks independent and mixable on the Yamaha.

Back